Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:10 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This is just rubbish and simply offensive. I am not surprised you found it difficult to get on with people given this kind of attitude.
OMG you are so right...........
i read there post and said WTF..............my OH was laughing his socks off when i was reading there post to him
I find canadians to be a fab bunch, yeah there is bad in all communitys, but its like saying alberta is bad, when you havent lived in all of alberta.....

I could say all expats "Are not my cup of tea" - Just because i met a couple of them that are well, Not my cup of tea
But i know some fab expats here that there hearts are gold

You can't do a general comment............
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Unhappypat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
I'm really not getting where you are coming from, he's very politely offered a different perspective on things and as not dished out advise without merit. He's merely pointing out that if one craves variety and selection, why go to the country? His comments are not necessarily directed just at you, this is after all a forum.

Furthermore, in one sentence you are saying most Canadians have an overly superior attitude and in the next its "just the uneducated few" here's an idea, make up your mind!

To be honest, I've not met any more Canadians that rub me up the wrong way than Brits i've met.
Ok, I have made up my mind, you all have the problem.

Am I not allowed to have another point of view? a different perspective? obviously not, why are you on this forum in the first place? Perhaps you have forgotten what it is like in the real world, After all Canada seems perfect to you, sat there at your computer in your little bubble.

I'm glad to hear that Brits rub you up the wrong way, as most Canadians are so non commital. At least you know where you stand with a Brit,At least you get a reaction one way or another.

Thank you all so much for your time and comments about my life - seeing as you know less than nothing about it. Absolutely everyone is allowed to have their own opinion or so I thought.
I came to Canada for 'variety' and made the 'selection'. but have been dissapointed, so that is why I am moving on.

Its been nice talking to you though, getting your reactions, thanks for that, its good to know that there is someone spirited out there, somewhere.
With a brain.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:09 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unhappypat
OK.........i think we'd better order the guys/girls with the white coats
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:31 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I not allowed to have another point of view? a different perspective? obviously not, why are you on this forum in the first place? Perhaps you have forgotten what it is like in the real world, After all Canada seems perfect to you, sat there at your computer in your little bubble.

I'm glad to hear that Brits rub you up the wrong way, as most Canadians are so non commital. At least you know where you stand with a Brit,At least you get a reaction one way or another.

Thank you all so much for your time and comments about my life - seeing as you know less than nothing about it. Absolutely everyone is allowed to have their own opinion or so I thought.
I came to Canada for 'variety' and made the 'selection'. but have been dissapointed, so that is why I am moving on.

Its been nice talking to you though, getting your reactions, thanks for that, its good to know that there is someone spirited out there, somewhere.
With a brain.
Yes this forum is all about different perspectives, which we all have. Your comments, however, are somewhat rude and defensive. Some on here are criticized for being the "I love Canada band wagon" but there as many that jump on those that challenge 'generalized' comments that those such as yourself make. I don't think I've ever said Canada is perfect, and quite frankly I'm really only qualified to comment on Vancouver and Regina, where I lived for 6 months. Vancouver is not perfect either (no where is dear), but I'm happy in my life and that's what counts really, it's not just about where you are, but where you are in your life.

I'll give you a perspective on the real world I live/have lived in if you like, from Serving in the Royal Navy at the height of the cold war, being first ship on scene for the Herald the Free Enterprise, tying to figure out where to put the dead, living at the height of 3.5 million unemployed in the UK and poverty, the miners strike.....

Living in Moscow right after the wall came down, moved to Miami, lived in the US for 4 years, met a Canadian in San Diego, moved to Vancouver. Became a police officer, dealt with all society's ills from murder, child abuse (watching the autopsy of a 2 year old, tying to figure out why do i do this?), to gangsters, witnessed more of the real world than I think one person should ever have to...... if only I had a bubble.

Last edited by dboy; Jan 23rd 2010 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:02 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not rual life that gets me down its the two faced glorious I'm greater than you attitude that most Canaidians have. overly superior,full of themselves.

Having said that I know some really nice people who arent a bit like that, its just the uneducated few that spoil it for the rest.
They talk down to people and try to make them think they are doing them a favour.
I'm glad that you are happy and it all worked out for you, but dont dish out advice that doesnt have any merit.
1) who are these people? Is Canaida our neighbour to the North?
2) substitute Brit, Aussie, Kiwi, Expat, Yank, Pole, Cheq, Croatian, South African, Ukranian, Hutterite, .......................... Oh yes I've met them all.

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This is just rubbish and simply offensive. I am not surprised you found it difficult to get on with people given this kind of attitude.
well said.
Originally Posted by lancashirebird
OMG you are so right...........
i read there post and said WTF..............my OH was laughing his socks off when i was reading there post to him
I find canadians to be a fab bunch, yeah there is bad in all communitys, but its like saying alberta is bad, when you havent lived in all of alberta.....

I could say all expats "Are not my cup of tea" - Just because i met a couple of them that are well, Not my cup of tea
But i know some fab expats here that there hearts are gold

You can't do a general comment............
Agreed with the three of you, and as LB says if I based my attitude about expats (of all nationalities) on a few I'd be living in isolation
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that I know some really nice people who arent a bit like that, its just the uneducated few that spoil it for the rest.
They talk down to people and try to make them think they are doing them a favour.
Bit like Britain, Australia, US, Europe etc. then!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Used to work with a guy that was a complete psycho (he did not last long as a pilot!), thought the whole world was crazy and he was the only sane one around.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Moving back to UK

Yes this forum is all about different perspectives, which we all have. Your comments, however, are somewhat rude and defensive. Some on here are criticized for being the "I love Canada band wagon" but there as many that jump on those that challenge 'generalized' comments that those such as yourself make. I don't think I've ever said Canada is perfect, and quite frankly I'm really only qualified to comment on Vancouver and Regina, where I lived for 6 months. Vancouver is not perfect either (no where is dear), but I'm happy in my life and that's what counts really, it's not just about where you are, but where you are in your life.

I'll give you a perspective on the real world I live/have lived in if you like, from Serving in the Royal Navy at the height of the cold war, being first ship on scene for the Herald the Free Enterprise, tying to figure out where to put the dead, living at the height of 3.5 million unemployed in the UK and poverty, the miners strike.....

Living in Moscow right after the wall came down, moved to Miami, lived in the US for 4 years, met a Canadian in San Diego, moved to Vancouver. Became a police officer, dealt with all society's ills from murder, child abuse (watching the autopsy of a 2 year old, tying to figure out why do i do this?), to gangsters, witnessed more of the real world than I think one person should ever have to...... if only I had a bubble.

Well said, old chap. Great comeback.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

dboy, where do you find the time to be = superman!!! LOL
If you joined the Navy did you expect it to be nice?
Ive seen enough death and nasties to last me a life time. Ive been in service also, Ive been a nurse for 12 years, watched lots of people breath their last too. No it is not nice.
But the reason you did your job was to make a diffrence and to get paid right?
It sounds like you regret too much and havent moved on.
But I have.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Its not me thats angry at life, just where I live right now.
Thanks for your time and input.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:51 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

dboy, where do you find the time to be = superman!!! LOL
If you joined the Navy did you expect it to be nice?
Ive seen enough death and nasties to last me a life time. Ive been in service also, Ive been a nurse for 12 years, watched lots of people breath their last too. No it is not nice.
But the reason you did your job was to make a diffrence and to get paid right?
It sounds like you regret too much and havent moved on.
But I have.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Its not me thats angry at life, just where I live right now.
Thanks for your time and input.
My comments were based on your living in the real world, comments. I wasn't complaining or looking for sympathy... Policing is a job you love to hate, much like nursing I imagine. Would I do it over again? Not sure, perhaps, probably not.

As for the Navy it's so long ago, I can't remember why I joined, travel I suppose. At that time in the UK a lot of school leavers were going into the armed forces as there weren't very many options at home.

At the end of the day, no one place works for everyone, there's good and bad everywhere, I've seen bits of this country that I could never live in, but i certainly wouldn't tar and feather every Canadian. Canadians are good people just like everyone else, I should know, been married to one and about to marry another one.

You will get flack on here for making generalizations, which I suspect are more to do with your general lack of satisfaction with the place.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:44 pm

As for the Navy it's so long ago, I can't remember why I joined, travel I suppose. At that time in the UK a lot of school leavers were going into the armed forces as there weren't very many options at home.
Reading this made me think why I joined up, never really questioned it before. It had nothing to do with wanting to make a difference, serve ones country and all those noble things. I wanted to travel and fly and the Navy was the easiest (that is what I naively thought at the time) and the cheapest way to do it. This was in the 70's. What I had not bargained on was '82, then everything quickly changed, it became about serving ones country, patriotism and a bit of bravado (which was lost as quickly as it came).

These are memories that stay with you forever, after that pretty much anything I did, was not so bad. It was 28 years ago and yet the memory is as if it was yesterday.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"As for the Navy it's so long ago, I can't remember why I joined, travel I suppose. At that time in the UK a lot of school leavers were going into the armed forces as there weren't very many options at home"

Early 60's, left school at 15 with little in the way of academic prowess, so meaningful employment opportunities for me were limited. Worked in a dead end kind of job for a year then joined the Royal Navy on a whim...Thought about the Army too, but the 'travel' aspect swung it for me
Best thing I ever did...shudder to think what may have become of me if I had remained where I was. Nothing to do with my family I hasten to add, no one could have come from a finer home. It was more to do with the environment/area in which we lived. The Navy provided me with so many of the tools that (IMHO) are essential in life. Much needed further education, self esteem, confidence and dare I say it, leadership qualities. It also taught me that life was not always fair, provided me with a true perspective of the 'real' world and how it is, rather than how we might like it to be.

The forces is not for everyone of course however, for me, it was a life saver in many ways and on looking back almost 50 years or so ago when I signed the dotted line as a 15 year old, I undoubtedly owe my time in the Navy to the moderately successful life I have led since.

Sorry for going off topic guys....but there it is...

Last edited by macadian; Jan 23rd 2010 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

maggiekeefe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Bacon
meat and potatoe pie
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

maggiekeefe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
Me and my husband and 3 children have been in Canada for 4 years, and absolutely love it....It does have it's downsides, but I am under no pretense that life will every be easy no matter where we live....
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

My comments were based on your living in the real world, comments. I wasn't complaining or looking for sympathy... Policing is a job you love to hate, much like nursing I imagine. Would I do it over again? Not sure, perhaps, probably not.

At the end of the day, no one place works for everyone, there's good and bad everywhere, I've seen bits of this country that I could never live in, but i certainly wouldn't tar and feather every Canadian. Canadians are good people just like everyone else, I should know, been married to one and about to marry another one.

You will get flack on here for making generalizations, which I suspect are more to do with your general lack of satisfaction with the place.
Thank you, thats is exactly my point, no one place works for everyone.
And I'm not going to tar and feather every Canadian, Like I said before, I know some really nice people who are canadian. They are good people too, just a bit laid back for me.
Good luck in your new marriage.
As for the flack I dont mind a bit now and then, it reminds me I'm still alive LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.