Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:46 pm
ork
Just Joined

ork is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving back to UK

I cannot help it - I love this thread. Thank you for the to/fro discussion, it's distracted me from watching the local squirrels population racing backwards and forwards along our back yard fence this morning and made me realise that there is something that I need to get on with sooner rather than later.

Right now though, the sun is even shining here today - so I am going to go out and soak up some vitamin D. Then, I am going to prise open my skull, remove whatever is left of my brain so that I am in the fright frame of mind to do some housework. Once that is done? I think that I will action my Note to Self.

Today's Note to Self Prompted by Forum Discussion: Self, you are now a Landed Immigrant and not just a Visiting Alien. Now - even though the very nice and helpful lady at Drivers Services told you that you may not apply for your BC Driver's Licence, take your knowledge or road test until your actual, physical PR card arrives (it's been 4 weeks and it is not here yet) and you have been using this as a sort of an excuse not to get on with other things. It is probably time to remind yourself that you've committed to 5 years in Canada, give yourself a shake and apply for the exam that will provide you with the North American accreditation you need for your cv (the accreditation time expires, so we've been waiting for my PR to come through before I took it) and get your CV out to recruitment agencies.

Else, stuck at home in the 'burbs with nothing but dust bunnies, clutter and fluffy tailed rodents for company during the day, you may find yourself in a very unhappy place, snarling at the contents of your supermarket shopping bags and the inane crapola on tv!

Please, everyone, as you were.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ork
I cannot help it - I love this thread. Thank you for the to/fro discussion, it's distracted me from watching the local squirrels population racing backwards and forwards along our back yard fence this morning and made me realise that there is something that I need to get on with sooner rather than later.

Right now though, the sun is even shining here today - so I am going to go out and soak up some vitamin D. Then, I am going to prise open my skull, remove whatever is left of my brain so that I am in the fright frame of mind to do some housework. Once that is done? I think that I will action my Note to Self.

Today's Note to Self Prompted by Forum Discussion: Self, you are now a Landed Immigrant and not just a Visiting Alien. Now - even though the very nice and helpful lady at Drivers Services told you that you may not apply for your BC Driver's Licence, take your knowledge or road test until your actual, physical PR card arrives (it's been 4 weeks and it is not here yet) and you have been using this as a sort of an excuse not to get on with other things. It is probably time to remind yourself that you've committed to 5 years in Canada, give yourself a shake and apply for the exam that will provide you with the North American accreditation you need for your cv (the accreditation time expires, so we've been waiting for my PR to come through before I took it) and get your CV out to recruitment agencies.

Else, stuck at home in the 'burbs with nothing but dust bunnies, clutter and fluffy tailed rodents for company during the day, you may find yourself in a very unhappy place, snarling at the contents of your supermarket shopping bags and the inane crapola on tv!

Please, everyone, as you were.
ok, now lets get a little more information from you!! how long have you been in Canada? You say you are in the "Burbs" east or west? How are you finding it and the neighbours ect: Its great you've committed to 5 years as I believe it really takes time to settle properly. Love to hear how your finding it
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:51 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
It seems strange that people sometimes seem to want one set of things to deliver a quality of life and then choose to live somewhere that patently will not and cannot provide these. I too like good restaurants, I don't like driving, I like a decent choice of shops to buy a variety of food from etc etc. So when I moved to Canada (and even Toronto) I made sure to choose a location that I knew would give me these things - and it was obviously not the country.
I have some friends who live in semi-rural Alberta and I love visiting them. When I visit though I expect to enjoy the scenery, to have to be driven distances in an SUV, to probably eat in rather than out etc. I don't go there expecting the convenience of the city and don't want it. They too accept the limitations of their location and are very happy. Wouldn't work for me - but that's why I don't live there.
It just amazes me that people seem to value certain things for their quality of life and then live somewhere where these things don't exist.

Maybe I am unusual but on the whole my life in Canada is not that different from my life in the UK - lots of small differences, but nothing radical. I was quite happy in the UK and am quite happy here.
I agree with this. Day to day my life is much the same, with a nicer view during the commute.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Actually, no it isn't. Britain actually has some of the lowest crime rates in the world.
are you sure?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...mes-per-capita
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should put on some glasses and take a good look at where you live, its not a great as its cracked it up to be.
Ha ha...pretty funny considering I left Canada too...

Originally Posted by pgtips
Lol, you go and get it off your chest. Do not feel intimidadted by the "I Love canada brigade"

If this is how you feel and see things, speak it as it is, however remember others have the right to refute your claims if they wish.

I think you seem badly homesick, and nothing that cannot be rectified once you get back. Homesickness does all sorts of things to one's emotions and everybody that emigrates feels it at one stage or another, even the "I love Canada" brigade. They should be more understanding.
Considering we're just 5 months living in Australia, homesick as well, I think I have a lot of understanding. Yet, no matter how homesick I am, I'm not about to get on and post that absolutely every last detail about the whole country of Australia sucks and there is not a single tiny redeeming quality about it, people included. I'm only residing in a little section of it. Who knows...maybe Melbourne or Sydney's a LOT nicer. Who's to say? I find it kind of sad really. Six years and nothing but negativity. Even out of the worst of circumstances, people can often find something they can look back upon and say, "Well, there were those one or two useful or positive things, I suppose, that I can take away from the experience."

And I'm not a member of the "I love Canada" brigade. Uh, we paid a heck of a lot of money, put in time and effort to LEAVE Canada. I'm from the "sweeping generalizations based on emotion aren't useful" brigade. I could criticize Canada endlessly too--and considering I've lived there most of my life, I have a lot of material to work with. But I'm not going to. There seems to be more than enough specific, keen critical commentary already.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm
ork
Just Joined

ork is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dgjamison
ok, now lets get a little more information from you!! how long have you been in Canada? You say you are in the "Burbs" east or west? How are you finding it and the neighbours ect: Its great you've committed to 5 years as I believe it really takes time to settle properly. Love to hear how your finding it
I've been in Vancouver (South West suburbs) since October 08. Entered Canada formally as a Landed Immigrant in December 09.

Just FYI: I had no issues with living in the UK at all. I really liked where I lived, I had a decent career with a reasonable salary doing something that I felt was worthwhile, I worked with people I got on well with, had a big family and friends network, good opportunities to participate in my sport and hobbies. As a result, I am unlikely to be able to contribute to a great deal to the 'negative things about Britain' discussion.

Why I moved: in order to live full time with my fella (now my husband). He is Canadian. We are here and not in the UK, because he has joint custody of his son from his first marriage. I have committed to be here for another 5 years or so - as that is when his son is likely to head off to university and will become a bit more independent. Actually, if our family situation had been different, I would have made a very strong case us to live in the UK.

How am I finding it here: it's okay but I am not gung-ho about it?

Where I live is nice enough but I find it extremely quiet. As we've previously discussed on this thread, there is not very much of interest within walking distance. Our immediate neighbours are okay. They keep the same sort of 'deliberate neighbourly distance' that is fairly usual in the UK. It is very rare to see any signs of life in/around any other houses on my street. Most people come and go through their garages in the alley.

The city itself is fine but I do not find it terribly exciting. I think it has that feel that many modern cities have - a bevy of shops that you don't recognise spliced in amongst ones that you do: Aveda, HMV, GAP, Macdonalds etc. It's got some nice places to look around and it has some areas that it might be best to avoid.

I visited Vancouver twice before I moved here fulltime so I knew what I was getting into. However, to me, it was (and still is) simply the city that my partner lives in. I was not, at any time, assessing whether it was better or worse than anywhere else to live in Canada/the world. I am more familiar with it now than I was a year ago but it doesn't feel like home yet.

I think I was only surprised by the numbers of homeless people here (I didn't notice them in my previous visits) and the reports of drug/gang violence, because everyone had told me how lovely Vancouver is and how lucky I was to be moving here. It is just that my own personal idea of the best place in the world to live, um...is a place that does not have these sorts of problems?!

What Vancouver does have, that other cities may not have on hand, is the ocean and the mountains. My husband is keen on sailing. I have found out that I am not. I ski but my husband/stepson do not. We'll work something out eventually. In terms of the other sport activities that I used to do in the UK - I can sort of do them here but the opportunities are more limited and the facilities are not quite the same.

I did plan for it (financially, at least) but the hardest thing I found about my move was going from a busy job in a big open plan office with lots of colleagues, to being on my own for the majority of the day, without a job. It was a hideous shock.

I guess that I have learnt over the past year that I personally do best, and am at my most productive, when I feel purposeful and I have plenty of interaction with other people. In a weird way, I suppose that I am a kind of trailing partner here? Although things are excellent between me and my husband, this whole aspect of being here, without a job and not being allowed to have one, has made the past year very tough and left me feeling quite isolated and undermined, especially out here in the dead 'burbs.

I have made an effort. I have involved myself in different activities and the odd class (that wouldn't contravene my visa rules) where I might meet some people and establish myself as a person in my own right, rather than being introduced as my husband's appendage (wife) who happens to have an odd accent.

I have met some nice people but not really any that I have connected with strongly yet - or feel that I have a huge amount in common with. This does make me miss my support network (both family & friends) in the UK greatly. However, I am hoping this will improve when I start working again.

Does that sum it all up...? It will do for now!

Last edited by ork; Jan 23rd 2010 at 12:16 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ork
I've been in Vancouver (South West suburbs) since October 08. Entered Canada formally as a Landed Immigrant in December 09.

Just FYI: I had no issues with living in the UK at all. I really liked where I lived, I had a decent career with a reasonable salary doing something that I felt was worthwhile, I worked with people I got on well with, had a big family and friends network, good opportunities to participate in my sport and hobbies. As a result, I am unlikely to be able to contribute to a great deal to the 'negative things about Britain' discussion.

Why I moved: in order to live full time with my fella (now my husband). He is Canadian. We are here and not in the UK, because he has joint custody of his son from his first marriage. I have committed to be here for another 5 years or so - as that is when his son is likely to head off to university and will become a bit more independent. Actually, if our family situation had been different, I would have made a very strong case us to live in the UK.

How am I finding it here: it's okay but I am not gung-ho about it?

Where I live is nice enough but I find it extremely quiet. As we've previously discussed on this thread, there is not very much of interest within walking distance. Our immediate neighbours are okay. They keep the same sort of 'deliberate neighbourly distance' that is fairly usual in the UK. It is very rare to see any signs of life in/around any other houses on my street. Most people come and go through their garages in the alley.

The city itself is fine but I do not find it terribly exciting. I think it has that feel that many modern cities have - a bevy of shops that you don't recognise spliced in amongst ones that you do: Aveda, HMV, GAP, Macdonalds etc. It's got some nice places to look around and it has some areas that it might be best to avoid.

I visited Vancouver twice before I moved here fulltime so I knew what I was getting into. However, to me, it was (and still is) simply the city that my partner lives in. I was not, at any time, assessing whether it was better or worse than anywhere else to live in Canada/the world. I am more familiar with it now than I was a year ago but it doesn't feel like home yet.

I think I was only surprised by the numbers of homeless people here (I didn't notice them in my previous visits) and the reports of drug/gang violence, because everyone had told me how lovely Vancouver is and how lucky I was to be moving here. It is just that my own personal idea of the best place in the world to live, um...is a place that does not have these sorts of problems?!

What Vancouver does have, that other cities may not have on hand, is the ocean and the mountains. My husband is keen on sailing. I have found out that I am not. I ski but my husband/stepson do not. We'll work something out eventually. In terms of the other sport activities that I used to do in the UK - I can sort of do them here but the opportunities are more limited and the facilities are not quite the same.

I did plan for it (financially, at least) but the hardest thing I found about my move was going from a busy job in a big open plan office with lots of colleagues, to being on my own for the majority of the day, without a job. It was a hideous shock.

I guess that I have learnt over the past year that I personally do best, and am at my most productive, when I feel purposeful and I have plenty of interaction with other people. In a weird way, I suppose that I am a kind of trailing partner here? Although things are excellent between me and my husband, this whole aspect of being here, without a job and not being allowed to have one, has made the past year very tough and left me feeling quite isolated and undermined, especially out here in the dead 'burbs.

I have made an effort. I have involved myself in different activities and the odd class (that wouldn't contravene my visa rules) where I might meet some people and establish myself as a person in my own right, rather than being introduced as my husband's appendage (wife) who happens to have an odd accent.

I have met some nice people but not really any that I have connected with strongly yet - or feel that I have a huge amount in common with. This does make me miss my support network (both family & friends) in the UK greatly. However, I am hoping this will improve when I start working again.

Does that sum it all up...? It will do for now!
If it's any consolation, I never worked for a year when I came here to be with me ex spouse. I wasn't too happy at first, but looking back don't regret it. It takes time to put down roots and have them take.

Keep working at it, attitude is everything.

Don't get too carried away with the gang thing, its not an issue at all in Marpole.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:40 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Don't get too carried away with the gang thing, its not an issue at all in Marpole.
I hear it can turn a bit nasty in Kerrisdale though - I remember some nasty moments around the BCAA office there....
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Unhappypat is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems strange that people sometimes seem to want one set of things to deliver a quality of life and then choose to live somewhere that patently will not and cannot provide these. I too like good restaurants, I don't like driving, I like a decent choice of shops to buy a variety of food from etc etc. So when I moved to Canada (and even Toronto) I made sure to choose a location that I knew would give me these things - and it was obviously not the country.
I have some friends who live in semi-rural Alberta and I love visiting them. When I visit though I expect to enjoy the scenery, to have to be driven distances in an SUV, to probably eat in rather than out etc. I don't go there expecting the convenience of the city and don't want it. They too accept the limitations of their location and are very happy. Wouldn't work for me - but that's why I don't live there.
It just amazes me that people seem to value certain things for their quality of life and then live somewhere where these things don't exist.

Maybe I am unusual but on the whole my life in Canada is not that different from my life in the UK - lots of small differences, but nothing radical. I was quite happy in the UK and am quite happy here.
So if you were 'quite happy' in Britain what are you doing here?
And not everybody gets to choose where they live at first.
Its not rual life that gets me down its the two faced glorious I'm greater than you attitude that most Canaidians have. overly superior,full of themselves.

Having said that I know some really nice people who arent a bit like that, its just the uneducated few that spoil it for the rest.
They talk down to people and try to make them think they are doing them a favour.
I'm glad that you are happy and it all worked out for you, but dont dish out advice that doesnt have any merit.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:50 pm

I hear it can turn a bit nasty in Kerrisdale though - I remember some nasty moments around the BCAA office there....
Yes, those blue hairs with their walkers have taken over, it's not safe to walk down the high street anymore!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:51 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unhappypat
I was ready to move on from the job I had, I wanted to live somewhere different, an opportunity came up in Toronto. My move had nothing to do with desperately wanting to leave the UK. I was also seriously considering moving to London.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:55 pm

Its not rual life that gets me down its the two faced glorious I'm greater than you attitude that most Canaidians have. overly superior,full of themselves.

Having said that I know some really nice people who arent a bit like that, its just the uneducated few that spoil it for the rest.
They talk down to people and try to make them think they are doing them a favour..
This is just rubbish and simply offensive. I am not surprised you found it difficult to get on with people given this kind of attitude.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:56 pm

but dont dish out advice that doesnt have any merit.
Can you be specific? I would rather dish out advice that doesn't have any merit than post offensive generalisations.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:02 pm

And not everybody gets to choose where they live at first.

They talk down to people and try to make them think they are doing them a favour.
I'm glad that you are happy and it all worked out for you, but dont dish out advice that doesnt have any merit.
I'm really not getting where you are coming from, he's very politely offered a different perspective on things and has not dished out advise without merit. He's merely pointing out that if one craves variety and selection, why go to the country? His comments are not necessarily directed just at you, this is after all a forum.

Furthermore, in one sentence you are saying most Canadians have an overly superior attitude and in the next its "just the uneducated few" here's an idea, make up your mind!

To be honest, I've not met any more Canadians that rub me up the wrong way than Brits i've met.

Last edited by dboy; Jan 23rd 2010 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 1:05 pm

This is just rubbish and simply offensive. I am not surprised you found it difficult to get on with people given this kind of attitude.
well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.