Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving To Alberta

Moving To Alberta

Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

stevie_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Alberta

I would love to bring my wife n kids but I'd only bring them once I have my Red Seal and know the job is safe. The bad thing about TFW is once your job is finished or they no longer need you, you NEED to leave asap.

I'd def bring my wife and kids once I have the Red Seal. The company I'm going with Kiewit are supposed to be putting my through the PR which is a massive plus.

Thanks for the PM
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

fireranger4 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have read that if you do not pass the red seal within the 6months that they offer you a chance to go to school to learn the trade in a class when your on your down days

dont know how true this is but im tryin to find out about it atm
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie_m
I would love to bring my wife n kids but I'd only bring them once I have my Red Seal and know the job is safe. The bad thing about TFW is once your job is finished or they no longer need you, you NEED to leave asap.
Just to correct this, you don't have to leave Canada until your TWP expires, which may be a year or two after losing your job. However, you cannot work at all unless you got a new LMO/TWP.

HTH.

Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

you have a year permit originally i think and u have a year to pass the test...its a theroy test i got a test paper's if you need me to send the link to it
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

imoutofhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I'm living in Alberta after going through the immigration process. I was just curious to find out about this new pilot scheme as I know a friend that would like to come over. I am also a pipefitter and done my red seal... If there is anything I can help you with, Just give me a shout... Cheers
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

What you could do is tell me if you came on the TFW permit ?

And if so when and how long did it take for you to get your PR ?
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by imoutofhere
Hi guys, I'm living in Alberta after going through the immigration process. I was just curious to find out about this new pilot scheme as I know a friend that would like to come over. I am also a pipefitter and done my red seal... If there is anything I can help you with, Just give me a shout... Cheers
is the test for the red seal hard??

also was there any text books or resource material you used to help you study...im kinda panicing incase i dont pass and end up having to come home after a year
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

There is a thing called the pipefitters handbook that is pretty much a good heads up.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

yeah i have an 1980 one of them lol and i got a new one few months back,i wrote to the red seal people and they sent me out some info on what is involved in the test also and the break down of it

but they said there is an actual book that follows the test so i was thinking along them lines to get it and make sure

the only thing i never had much experience is steam work and it is the biggest part of the test.....17% of the marks is on steam.....u need 70% to pass
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sweating it because you'll learn a lot on site anyways and if you knuckle down and do an hour or two when you get back to the room it will be made a lot easier
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

imoutofhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Yeah I went through the twp about 6 years a go. It was Flint that employed me and helped me get my red seal... I have been bouncing back and forward between UK and Canada ever since on twp's for various companies. It was a couple of years a go when I got laid off and had to go home that I appied for immigration which took around 20 months from start to finnish... Been here about 10 months now as a resident. Loads of work here and money seems to be better. Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

just got AIT approvel letter

off to contact the company now
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fireranger4
just got AIT approvel letter

off to contact the company now

I have the TFW liaison officers email for Kiewit if you fancy it buddy.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

yeah pass it on surely

no harm in keeping the options open

thanks
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

just wondering if anyone can let me know how they got on this matter

i got AIT letter today in the post,i contacted the employer i have been in contact with

she said she is gonna draw me up a letter of employment,i emailed her a copy of the AIT letter

she said she will get back to me soon...

how long has anyone had to wait for this employment letter to be sorted....is it posted out or do u just get it emailed to you then you print it off for your work permit

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.