Reload this Page >

Moving To Alberta

Moving To Alberta

Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

fireranger4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Alberta

Hi guys

Im new to the forum so i have a few questions if people dont mind taking the time answer id be very grateful

i have applied and got conformation back of a job offer in alberta(edmonton area)

i have done a lot of research and got plenty of emails from the company mentioned but id like a second opinion

i have applied for my uk police clearance document and got it back,i have applied for a trade certificate in my field of work (pipefitting) from the AIT (alberta's Apprenticeship and Industry Training) and im just waiting on word back

Once i get word back i have to email a copy of the letter to the company then in turn thats when they give me written word and confirmation of a start date for my new job

i know i have to sit a red seal exam in the the trade within 6 months i get 2 chances to pass i think

is there anything else im looking past or think i should need to do before i fly out????

Also on arrival at port of entry i am issued with my work permit i believe,as my wife isnt travelling with me until few months later i was wondering how we go get her on my work permit as she is my spouse and entitled to an open permit to work threw mine.

any people out there with simliar experiences could help me out

cheers
james
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving To Alberta

im assuming you have an LMO? does your trade require one?
if so your wife needs a copy of it to get her SOWP
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

they are running a pilot program until may 31st 2012 in alberta atm that pipefitters do not need an LMO from an employer

i plan to get my workpermit at port of entry in feb when i travel but my wife isnt coming till end of march and travelling alone will she be able to get her open work permit at port of entry with a copy of my permit. If im not there do you know if this will be an issue
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

I honestly don't know in your case.
I've just received my LMO (hgv mechanic) and I know that my wife can get her work permit with a copy of my LMO when she arrives after me at POE.
I've never heard of this pilot scheme so unfortunately I cant give you any advice.

Last edited by Stu_g2004; Jan 15th 2012 at 7:19 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

no worrys thanks for your input anyway

http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...steam-pipe.pdf

thats the link the employer pointed me towards when was emailing them
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

stevie_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello James,

By any chance have you been offered a job by Kiewit ?

Only reason I'm asking because I am in exact same boat.

I wouldn't be bringing anyone right now if your going under the TFW and CLAC banner
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fireranger4
they are running a pilot program until may 31st 2012 in alberta atm that pipefitters do not need an LMO from an employer

i plan to get my workpermit at port of entry in feb when i travel but my wife isnt coming till end of march and travelling alone will she be able to get her open work permit at port of entry with a copy of my permit. If im not there do you know if this will be an issue
It wont be an issue for her to get a TWP later on providing she is eligible to apply for one. Just send her a copy of your WP and she can show that the BSO on entry. I also suggest you supply her with the pertinent info where it states she is eligible for a TWP as this is a pilot project and not all BSO's at all POE's might be aware of this. She can pay the $150 fee with any major credit card.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

The TFW is a very shaky nail.

If your going to work under CLAC and the TFW permit, the company you will be working for only need to give you 48hrs notice of being paid off and because your not allowed to transfer jobs you would need to go back home to apply for a new job.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It wont be an issue for her to get a TWP later on providing she is eligible to apply for one. Just send her a copy of your WP and she can show that the BSO on entry. I also suggest you supply her with the pertinent info where it states she is eligible for a TWP as this is a pilot project and not all BSO's at all POE's might be aware of this. She can pay the $150 fee with any major credit card.
Do you think it will be better for her to apply for her work permit here and go through the canadian embasy in london....ill be able to email all details and forms home so she can send of with her application.it wold save any hassle at POE me thinks

stevie_m

Hello James,

By any chance have you been offered a job by Kiewit ?

Only reason I'm asking because I am in exact same boat.

I wouldn't be bringing anyone right now if your going under the TFW and CLAC banner
I am still waiting on the trade certificate to come back from the AAIT, the company i have been in contact with is called flint energy services

just wondering what CLAC is. Dont think i heard of it to be honest
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Christian Labour almost like a union.

Was it directly with Flint ?

My papers took a while to come back pretty sure it was a month
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fireranger4
Do you think it will be better for her to apply for her work permit here and go through the canadian embasy in london....ill be able to email all details and forms home so she can send of with her application.it wold save any hassle at POE me thinks

I am still waiting on the trade certificate to come back from the AAIT, the company i have been in contact with is called flint energy services

just wondering what CLAC is. Dont think i heard of it to be honest
Personally I would suggest the TWP at the POE is easier as no sending off applications, documents etc that could get lost in the mail and waiting for the mailman. Book a flight, she gets off and asks for a TWP pretty straightforward in my books.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

@former lancastrain.....thats great any people i have been in contact with have also told me thats the best way to do things but i want to make sure i cover all angles

@stevie_m......i have no idea about unions and stuff at the minute, i have been in direct contact with flints TFW co-ordinator and once i get the approval letter i need to contact her again, then thats when she can talk to me about start dates etc so i can book flight's then
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

I've been offered a job with Kiewit but I'm keeping my options open. Supposed to be away at the end of Feb.

Any chance you could pass on the email address to the lady ?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

yeah most certainly, there mostly based northern alberta in fort mcmurray i believe

<Snipped by mod, perhaps you could send the details by Private message, to save her getting aton of spam>

also check out www.jobbank.gc.ca they have advertised loads of jobs,loads of work coming up

are you traveling yourself or you got the girl/wife in tow aswell?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 16th 2012 at 9:26 pm. Reason: Please PM the details, to save her email from the spambots. Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

sent by PM to stevie there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.