Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Abroad 19 year old

Moving Abroad 19 year old

Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:50 pm
ck1
Forum Regular

ck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving Abroad 19 year old

Good luck D26

What are those results from? doesn't look like standard GCSE results/A-Level's?

Have you tried scoring yourself on the points system? if yes, how did you score?

Also, I assume you have been to Canada before? if not you should visit it at a minimum!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:45 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are seriously considering a police career in Canada, you may want to gain some life/work experience first, not to mention additional schooling. Not sure on the UK but here police recrutiers focus heavily on life experience, community involvement, work experience and education - some police forces require some post secondary eduction.

I do recommend policing as a career and I also give the thumbs up for Canada - but I would recommend visiting first - its not for everyone.

If Canada is your bag (have you even been here?) then I would deal with the move here first, get settled and then pursue a policing career if that's what you want.

Good luck

Last edited by dboy; Jul 14th 2009 at 12:48 am.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
If you are seriously considering a police career in Canada, you may want to gain some life/work experience first,
Yes - experience like this:

http://www.nakidness.com/images/funn...l/police_medic

Yes, yes - I know. I really just can't help myself
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:13 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes - experience like this:

http://www.nakidness.com/images/funn...l/police_medic

Yes, yes - I know. I really just can't help myself
That's funny - what the hell is a police medic? Never heard of one of them before, but then again, I'm not tactically trained for riot duties - to much rah, rah, rah for me. I've also wondered why police in the uk walk around in those silly florescent jackets, we only wear them here for traffic duties for safety reasons, otherwise they sure makes you a great target going to a shooting call where you need to be as covert as possible.

Last edited by dboy; Jul 14th 2009 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul5455
i know a few people who have applied direct to the Calgary Police Service, with no prior police experience.
But, surely, such applicants would need to be able to work legally in Canada? I can't imagine the CPS accepting such an applicant on the basis of BUNAC. I may be wrong
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
But, surely, such applicants would need to be able to work legally in Canada? I can't imagine the CPS accepting such an applicant on the basis of BUNAC. I may be wrong
Correct, here' a link to what an applicant needs in order to join the Calgary Police Service.

http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com...pplicants.html

I agree there is no way Bunac is going to do it.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving Abroad 19 year old

police medics are things in public order situations. they have to do a 3 week course just to help people that are injured.
its mainly for football or protests that they are deployed
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
That's funny - what the hell is a police medic? Never heard of one of them before, but then again, I'm not tactically trained for riot duties - to much rah, rah, rah for me. I've also wondered why police in the uk walk around in those silly florescent jackets, we only wear them here for traffic duties for safety reasons, otherwise they sure makes you a great target going to a shooting call where you need to be as covert as possible.
It is a funny picture (it certainly appeals to my sense of irony). Have to say I too am puzzled by the high-vis jackets that the UK police wear a lot now-a-days, not sure when it started.

Originally Posted by Paul5455
police medics are things in public order situations. they have to do a 3 week course just to help people that are injured.
its mainly for football or protests that they are deployed
Deployed in the same sense as an (un)guided missile by the looks of it

(apologies to the OP for OT posts)

Last edited by Alan2005; Jul 14th 2009 at 4:11 pm.