Moving Abroad 19 year old

Moving Abroad 19 year old

Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:42 pm
d26
Forum Regular

d26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Abroad 19 year old

Hi

Ive been strongly thinking of moving abroad to the US or Canada however looking at the US route it seems pretty tough and the only way i would get through is to marry a US Citizen (Dont have any immediate family in USA or Canada) . However im leaning more towards Canada.

Firstly i would like to tell you about myself im 19 (live with parents) i did the full 6 years in High school and i am a associate for a retail company (part time) . My goal here was to apply for the Police and become a policeman in the UK , however the past couple of weeks ive strongly been thinking about moving to USA or Canada i have always wanted to move there and think about living the rest of my life there but i dont want to stay in the uk and 20 years down the line think what if ! , I know this sounds a pretty dumb thing to say but i love american sports and the usa with a passion , but as i said before i would prefer to reside in Canada and become a canadian citizen.

These are my qualifications from High School

ASDAN Sports Course - PASS

5th Year pupil Council

6th Year prefect

6th year peer mentor

Intermediate 1
Maths - A French - A

Intermediate 2
English - B Woodwork - B Info Systems - A Maths – C Business Management – A

Standard Grade
Craft & Design - 2 Home Economics - 3
Biology - 3 Geography - 3

Higher
Product Design - C Info Systems - D

I am writing this because i hear alot of families and senior folk making the move but was wondering if anyone could help me out on what it would be like for me a 19 year old and how it would be to find employment with my experience and grades. Also how would i obtain citizenship

Its not that i despise the UK i just dont want to regret the rest of my life not making my dream come true
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Abroad 19 year old

Originally Posted by d26
Hi

Ive been strongly thinking of moving abroad to the US or Canada however looking at the US route it seems pretty tough and the only way i would get through is to marry a US Citizen (Dont have any immediate family in USA or Canada) . However im leaning more towards Canada.

Firstly i would like to tell you about myself im 19 (live with parents) i did the full 6 years in High school and i am a associate for a retail company (part time) . My goal here was to apply for the Police and become a policeman in the UK , however the past couple of weeks ive strongly been thinking about moving to USA or Canada i have always wanted to move there and think about living the rest of my life there but i dont want to stay in the uk and 20 years down the line think what if ! , I know this sounds a pretty dumb thing to say but i love american sports and the usa with a passion , but as i said before i would prefer to reside in Canada and become a canadian citizen.

These are my qualifications from High School

ASDAN Sports Course - PASS

5th Year pupil Council

6th Year prefect

6th year peer mentor

Intermediate 1
Maths - A French - A

Intermediate 2
English - B Woodwork - B Info Systems - A Maths – C Business Management – A

Standard Grade
Craft & Design - 2 Home Economics - 3
Biology - 3 Geography - 3

Higher
Product Design - C Info Systems - D

I am writing this because i hear alot of families and senior folk making the move but was wondering if anyone could help me out on what it would be like for me a 19 year old and how it would be to find employment with my experience and grades. Also how would i obtain citizenship

Its not that i despise the UK i just dont want to regret the rest of my life not making my dream come true
Hi d26... good for you to have a dream and be prepared to make it happen! Read the wikis first... that will give you a good idea of what you face. Canada has been actively recruiting British policemen and women... so it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and apply and get trained in the UK while you are applying. At your age you could also think of getting the BUNAC experience... that gives you a year to work and figure out whether you like it and really want this for your future. Good luck.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:19 pm
d26
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newshoney
Hi d26... good for you to have a dream and be prepared to make it happen! Read the wikis first... that will give you a good idea of what you face. Canada has been actively recruiting British policemen and women... so it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and apply and get trained in the UK while you are applying. At your age you could also think of getting the BUNAC experience... that gives you a year to work and figure out whether you like it and really want this for your future. Good luck.
Hi thanks for the reply i appreciate it

For Canada the route seems to be get a job offer then apply for TPW , but at my age what people would want to offer me a job im not a skilled worker or have vast experience in a desired career due to my age

I have been contemplating about the BUNAC experience but im a bit shakey about the whole thing , I understand that they help you get over there but finding work will be hard wont it ? ,In times like these (recession) why would employers offer me a job (legal wage) rather than a canadian citizen , It seems like a good idea but its the knowing that you wont have any guaranteed income before you make the move and that the fees you are taking with you could be used up quick
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Hi BUNAC is going to be ur best bet, you will get in for the one year and you can travel about get a feel for the country check out provinces and work and see if it is really for you or not, i do not know too much about twp but i do know you will need a job offer or a highly skilled job to apply but i may be wrong, my advice stick to bunac........good luck and all the best.....

MR79
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Do it, make it happen. What's the worst that can happen? Figure it out as you go along.
Anything you really want badly enough, you can attain, if you really go for it.
Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

Missed opportunities are just that, missed.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:39 pm
d26
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MR79
Hi BUNAC is going to be ur best bet, you will get in for the one year and you can travel about get a feel for the country check out provinces and work and see if it is really for you or not, i do not know too much about twp but i do know you will need a job offer or a highly skilled job to apply but i may be wrong, my advice stick to bunac........good luck and all the best.....

MR79
Yeah im starting to look more at the BUNAC option get more of a feel for the country before i start to committ , gonna speak to family first and let them know . I fall in to the "non-student" so i would apply for the 2010 visa in dec 09 . Does anyone know how many visa they have to give out , is there a way that BUNAC can give you a guaranteed work placement before you leave the UK

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Do it, make it happen. What's the worst that can happen? Figure it out as you go along.
Anything you really want badly enough, you can attain, if you really go for it.
Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

Missed opportunities are just that, missed.

True very true "Live the Dream"
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

May good fortune be with you.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
May good fortune be with you.
Dude - you been smoking something today?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

You should go for it,
I came to Canada when I was 19 on a college placement. I was placed at Chateau Lake Louise, and LOVED it!
12 years later I'm now back living in Canada.

You should think about applying for hotels, ski hills, places like Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper, Whistler etc, they're always looking for young people to help during the busy ski seasons.

The BUNAC thing would be you best bet like others have already said, I don't know how many visa's they give out but they go pretty fast! So use the coming months to investigate jobs and read up on the BUNAC website.

Best of luck, you won't regret trying it at your young age
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

I also moved to Canada when I was 18. But I had a job lined up so my situation was different. BUNAC might indeed be a good option for you.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:26 pm
d26
Forum Regular

Would this be my path then

Go for 1 year BUNAC - gain connections and come away with a job offer

Go back to UK and apply for TWP

work in Canada with TWP then apply for permanent residency

Thing with BUNAC is you have no job sorted so it could fall flat on your face when you arrive by not being able to find a job
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving Abroad 19 year old

Originally Posted by d26

My goal here was to apply for the Police and become a policeman in the UK

i know a few people who have applied direct to the Calgary Police Service, with no prior police experience.
what i would recommend being so young, is the BUNAC route. this will give you life experience and a chance to view the country before you commit.
i joined the UK Police at 18, and would not recommend it to anyone! i wish i had seen the world a bit, and then applied aged around 24 (the age i am now). i had to mature very quickly, and its not nice being 18 and seeing some of the sights i have seen!
use this time to read up on BUNAC as the visas go very quickly to the best applicants. make sure you are one of them, and if you come to Calgary, look me up and ill buy you a beer!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d26
Would this be my path then

Go for 1 year BUNAC - gain connections and come away with a job offer

Go back to UK and apply for TWP

work in Canada with TWP then apply for permanent residency

Thing with BUNAC is you have no job sorted so it could fall flat on your face when you arrive by not being able to find a job
I agree - BUNAC is the way to go. Get over here for the year, see if you like living in Canada, make some contacts and work on opening some doors to PR.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:54 pm
d26
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul5455
i know a few people who have applied direct to the Calgary Police Service, with no prior police experience.
what i would recommend being so young, is the BUNAC route. this will give you life experience and a chance to view the country before you commit.
i joined the UK Police at 18, and would not recommend it to anyone! i wish i had seen the world a bit, and then applied aged around 24 (the age i am now). i had to mature very quickly, and its not nice being 18 and seeing some of the sights i have seen!
use this time to read up on BUNAC as the visas go very quickly to the best applicants. make sure you are one of them, and if you come to Calgary, look me up and ill buy you a beer!
Forget a beer , a place to stay more like

Just kidding thanks for your advice
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving Abroad 19 year old

at the minute i have no where to stay!
but you can reserve the park bench next to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.