Reload this Page >

Moving from AB to NS

Moving from AB to NS

Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

davo0705 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from AB to NS

Hi

We have been in Cochrane AB since Sept 06, loving life in general over here, but have become a bit p.o'd at paying oil money for housing etc in AB and not getting paid oil money (I am in banking and my wife works for the City of Calgary).

We are contemplating moving to Annapolis Valley in NS, housing seems to be waaaaay cheaper, for obvious reasons, but its seems as though this area may offer us the 'dream' we originally anticipated when emigrating. A large property with some land, my wife not having to work as we are mortgage free and able to afford the luxuries in life, boat, quads etc.

I know the move is 'risky' purely because of the economic differences between where we are now and where we will be, although recent reports I have read predict that NS may become the next 'it' province mainly due to offshore oil/gas exploration and the long term rating trend being increased from 'stable' to positive'. So my thoughts are get in now while its cheap, but obviously its not as simple as that.

Apart from the job situation (I assume they have banks in NS ) any have any tips, stories to share???

I dont seem to be able to find out a lot about the local area and communities via the web alone, we are considering Kentville area, maybe even slightly further west towards Digby.

Both my sons are Hockey/soccer crazy, so which town have the best hockey/soccer programs? Which schools are good/ bad/indifferent.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Have a happy new year!

The Davo's
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving from AB to NS

Hi Davo's,

Well I have never been west of Nova Scotia for comparison, but I can tell you about the beautiful valley!

The houses are great value - and we have a bank in every town lol! We live in Bridgetown, which is halfway between Kentville and Digby, and I can think of six branches of each of the big three banks within a 30 minute drive. I was wary about moving over here as loads of people on this board give the impression that there are five people to every job! but I found a good management job on my first try. Not a great salary compared to UK, but then our costs are much cheaper here.

Bridgetown High school is large and very into sports. I can't tell you any more about schools, as I don't have kids, but the kids I come across round here are polite and seem to do as they are told! The pace of life is very laid back and the community have welcomed us with open arms. We have been to more events and house parties here then in the last ten years in the UK!

However, with this sense of laid back comes the frustrations of not being able to easily pick up eg. housing supplies or eg. laptops (my current frustration) if they are not in stock. It takes weeks and weeks for items to arrive and the stores (lots of different ones!) never call, you constantly phone them to get what you want. Around here, it is a two hour drive to Halifax, so if you are the sort of people who don't handle not being able to get what you want quickly, further towards Kentville/Halifax might be better.

Towards Digby, the communites get (sweeping generalisation here, sorry) a bit poorer and I believe that continues further away from Digby. Please don't get me wrong, I don't think it is all out poverty, but from what my neighbours tell me it is not too affluent that way on.

So if you want peace and quiet, Annapolis valley is the place - if you prefer slightly more hustle and bustle, Kentville area would be a better bet. I once got in a traffic jam at Kentville, the only one in six months If we see five cars on the same road here, we are outraged with how busy it is.!!

I woul suggest a trip over to see what you think, but feelfree to pm me for more details.
Good luck!

Rachel
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:00 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davo0705
Apart from the job situation (I assume they have banks in NS ) any have any tips, stories to share???
Be prepared to pay more to have your household belongs moved from AB to NS than it did from the UK to AB (assuming you're from the UK).

It will likely be this --> expensive... unless you can get a relocation deal through work and have them flip the bill.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:31 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
Be prepared to pay more to have your household belongs moved from AB to NS than it did from the UK to AB (assuming you're from the UK).

It will likely be this --> expensive... unless you can get a relocation deal through work and have them flip the bill.
Or hire a van and drive it over yourself
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

benjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant future

I have lived in Alberta all my life but my mom is from Nova Scotia so I have visited there. It is a beautiful place to call home. Good luck with the move

Ben
Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

AdamBrown is an unknown quantity at this point

We left Calgary and moved to NB. Never looked back. The east coast is the place to have the life you thought you would be getting in Canada when you moved over.

Don't worry about moving costs, just leave all your stuff there and go now!

Last edited by AdamBrown; Jan 1st 2009 at 6:18 pm.