Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which movers to use?

Which movers to use?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:20 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all
Default Re: Which movers to use?

Ellsie,

Check out my thread about do-it-yourself containers: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390702

I reckon you could do it for half that with a bit of effort and pre-organisation.

I will post more updates as things progress but I am optimistic I can get my stuff in a 20ft to eastern BC for less than £3000.

Ian.

Originally Posted by ellsie
Wish they were,sounds about what we were quoted to go to Van Island. Have now got quote for 40ft for just under £7000. We decided to take the kids after all.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

milka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robbie500
Tia,

I have just used a company called Cargo Bookers. We sent only boxes over and for 35 boxes I was charged £746. I paid £102 insurance with a company Manning UK and I will have to pay about $150 when the items arrive in Calgary. Found them very helpful. There website is www.cargobookers.co.uk

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob, do you have a website for Manning?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point

No I do not have a website. I just have a phone number for A. Manning U.K. Ltd. They are regulated by the FSA. The phone number is 01491 578759. I dealt with a Adrain Heenan who was very helpful.
Rob.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
We would have gone with Robinsons but they misled us about the price - something I've heard others mention on here.

The next choice would have been Britannia.
Hi would you mind elaborating? only we've just signed up to use Robinsons
Thanks
Jo xx
Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chops
I received a quote from Whites today; £5,500+vat for a 20ft container :scared:

They're having a laugh surely?

Ian.

we have a quote from whites for a 40ft container , them to wrap and pack and deliver , unpack and remove all wastage , to toronto ££3980 + vat. it really does vary !!!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
Hi would you mind elaborating? only we've just signed up to use Robinsons
Thanks
Jo xx
Their salesman originally gave us a price of £3,700 + 3% insurance for a 20' container, Manchester to Toronto, but said he knew he'd be more competitive with £3,500 and said he'd also do insurance for 2.75%. He also said that he wouldn't have a problem dropping the price further if that was what it took to get our business.

So - the quote was £3,500 + 2.75% insurance.

White's said the best they could do would be £3,460 + 2.5%. I was confident that after what the Robinson's sales rep had said, that he would drop to £3,400 and match the insurance White's were offering.
So - I called Robinson's and said if he could do it for £3,400 + 2.5% they'd have the business. "Let me check the shipping," he told me, "and I'll call you back in half an hour."

Three hours and three phone calls (to them) later, we got a call from somebody else in their office.
The quote had gone up to £3,600 + 2.75%.
The £3,500 was apparently a "ballpark figure"...

I've since heard a couple of other stories where they've quoted one price, got the business then increased the price by a few hundred quid.

Just be careful is all I'd say...
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Their salesman originally gave us a price of £3,700 + 3% insurance for a 20' container, Manchester to Toronto, but said he knew he'd be more competitive with £3,500 and said he'd also do insurance for 2.75%. He also said that he wouldn't have a problem dropping the price further if that was what it took to get our business.

So - the quote was £3,500 + 2.75% insurance.

White's said the best they could do would be £3,460 + 2.5%. I was confident that after what the Robinson's sales rep had said, that he would drop to £3,400 and match the insurance White's were offering.
So - I called Robinson's and said if he could do it for £3,400 + 2.5% they'd have the business. "Let me check the shipping," he told me, "and I'll call you back in half an hour."

Three hours and three phone calls (to them) later, we got a call from somebody else in their office.
The quote had gone up to £3,600 + 2.75%.
The £3,500 was apparently a "ballpark figure"...

I've since heard a couple of other stories where they've quoted one price, got the business then increased the price by a few hundred quid.

Just be careful is all I'd say...

Thanks for the reply. They've quoted us £4,100 for a 20ft container - Essex to Calgary. We also managed to get 6 weeks free storage aswell. We've got our own marine insurance at 1.5%, which is a huge saving. We're not insuring the whol lot though only some of it.