Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: So which part of Canada?

Wikiposts

Moved: So which part of Canada?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moved: So which part of Canada?

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Yep we live in Calgary, and yes that is Moraine Lake, which is just up the hill from Lake Louise in the Rockies.

We stayed at the Lodge there. Gorgeous weekend away, even if the weather could've been kinder!
ahh i see.....so what is the weather in Calgary like during the summer months..i remember we went through there about 2 years ago..and it was fairly hot..........
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:18 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
ahh i see.....so what is the weather in Calgary like during the summer months..i remember we went through there about 2 years ago..and it was fairly hot..........
Calgary in summer is very similar to Vancouver.

Daytime highs in the low to mid twenties Celsius, with about three to five days per year with highs around thirty to thirty three. But I think we get many more thunder storms than Vancouver does.

Here is a link to the long term averages for Calgary.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:21 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't Calgary gets rather more occasional golfball sized hail and threat of tornados than vancouver typically does Steve...
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by iaink
I think Calgary gets rather more golfball sized hail and threat of tornados than vancouver typically does Steve...
I wouldn't go quite so large as golfball but yes we do get a lot more hail.

Although large hail has fallen all around the city we have been lucky enough to escape virtually all of it. Pea sized to marble sized not unusual though.

There is a fairly major hail suppression program operating in the Calgary area were they seed potential hail storms with silver iodide to make the hail form sooner and thus smaller. It seems to work. It is funded in part or in full (I'm not sure) by the insurance companies, in an effort to reduce claims.

The tornado threat is minimal but yes it's still there, a little more serious to the east and north of us.

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 30th 2007 at 4:29 am.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Although large hail has fallen all around the city we have been lucky enough to escape virtually all of it. Pea sized to marble sized not unusual though.

There is a fairly major hail suppression program operating in the Calgary area were they seed potential hail storms with silver iodide to make the hail form sooner and thus smaller. It seems to work. It is funded in part or in full (I'm not sure) by the insurance companies, in an effort to reduce claims.

The tornado threat is minimal but yes it's still there, a little more serious to the east and north of us.
wow - learn something new every day........
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:57 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I see Steve answered on my behalf (again!)

This summer has been gorgeous .... lots of really warm days, but we seldom get the humidity that afflicts provinces further east!

Last summer we had more in the way of thunderstorms and hailstorms in early summer. As steve said, we've mostly missed the worst of it this year, though some houses have been struck, and we had one big flood day earlier in the season.

Today was unseasonably warm ... max of 27 degress C!

ps I didn't know about the anti-hail seeding .... well something worked!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:07 am

Speaking of hail storms I found the below quoted info while looking for more info on the hail suppression project in south central Alberta. http://www.weathermod.com/projects/hail/alberta.php

Calgary does have the dubious distinction of having 8 out of the 12 and it only goes up to 1999 so who know how many more we've added since then.
The project does claim to have successfully suppressed large hailstorm losses since June of 1996.

The joys of living in hailstorm alley.

TWELVE LARGEST CANADIAN HAILSTORMS
Date Location Insurance loss*
September 1991 Calgary $342,745,000
July 1981 Calgary $125,000,000
July 1987 Edmonton** $148,000,000
July 1996 Winnipeg $146,825,000
July 1996 Calgary $119,091,000
July 1996 Calgary $85,222,000
July 1998 Calgary $63,216,000
July 1995 Calgary $52,304,000
August 1988 Calgary $37,127,000
June 1995 Southern Alberta $26,389,000
May 1987 Montreal $24,900,000
July 1992 Calgary $22,078,000
*Excludes crop losses and adjustment for inflation.
**Includes tornado damage. Source: IBC
Old Aug 31st 2007, 2:30 am

Humble apologies.

But then you wouldn't have learned about the hail suppression program.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newshoney
We have chosen Calgary for the time being as a) OH's former employer is still based there and he's been told he would be very welcome to return; and b) we have n number of rellies already living there or thereabouts (Airdrie, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge and Calgary itself). It has more blue sky days than most places, great green spaces with the best walk/cycle path system of any city in the world and best of all it's just 45 mins to Kananaskis, 60 mins to Banff and the glory of the mountains and those turquoise lakes.

Morwenna - we were up at Moraine Lake in May and are hoping we'll just get another visit in before Thanksgiving when they usually close the lodge and the access road ready for the x-country skiing.

Maple Leaf - my OH was BC-born so we almost chose Vancouver - close to mountains, the ocean and so on, but also lots and lots of rain... and the house prices were as bad as London UK. Fortunately OH also has rellies living in Victoria and Cowichan Bay so we have an excuse to get out to the islands once in a while for a complete change of pace. Where was that wonderful hiking path in your second photo?
hello!......the second photo is at Marble Mountain in Nove Scotia...unfortunately it isnt' one of mine....i found it on google..but isn't that a lovely beach.......

My husband was born in saskatchewan and moved to BC over 20 years ago to kelowna. We moved to the island about 2 months ago, for work and personal reasons, it was the right deal for us. Also it has worked out very well! We are realy enjoying it here.

People do talk about the rain in Vancouver i personaly dont' know much about it. However...i am told the rain situation in Vancouver is not here where we are...and i have to say we haven't seen that much rain since we have been here. I do beleive the winters are normaly quite wet...which i would prefer the drier winter with snow..than the wet winter with pelting down rain. I haven't had a winter here yet..so time will tell....but who knows huh..the way mother nature is confused at the moment the poor dear..anything is up for grabs at anytime with the weather.

i will say Victoria is growing on me aswell...i realy enjoy it when i get down there ( we are about 50mins north) esp James Bay area..i have a friend who lives there....and was down there just yesterday....*S*.....

Have you been to Nova Scotia..it does look lovely in the photos...and i have a friend from New York who took a holiday up there a few years ago..she said it is vay pretty ..great scenery and animals..etc....
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: So which part of Canada?

Originally Posted by Alvic
Ahhh...Judy I fear this is a lost cause unless the other person is also British.
hey!! i am not british and i can get a good joke......

errrrr were you joking..???
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgary in summer is very similar to Vancouver.

Daytime highs in the low to mid twenties Celsius, with about three to five days per year with highs around thirty to thirty three. But I think we get many more thunder storms than Vancouver does.

Here is a link to the long term averages for Calgary.

Cheers
Steve
ahh i love a good thunderstorm...dont' think i have seen one since i have been here!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

This summer has been gorgeous .... lots of really warm days, but we seldom get the humidity that afflicts provinces further east!

Last summer we had more in the way of thunderstorms and hailstorms in early summer. As steve said, we've mostly missed the worst of it this year, though some houses have been struck, and we had one big flood day earlier in the season.

Today was unseasonably warm ... max of 27 degress C!

anti hail seeding!..what will they think of next!!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:59 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey!! i am not british and i can get a good joke......

errrrr were you joking..???
Ah but you may as well be you spend that much time on ere with us lot
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Maple Leaf... looks like a good reason to go out and visit NS one of these days. Are you in Nanaimo? We were there last Fall, took the ferry across from Horseshoe Bay then drove right across to the West Coast to Tofino, then back again to visit the rellies in Cowichan Bay and Victoria. It was one of our best trips (but there again it was just J and I, no kids). We hiked the old-growth forest which was awesome.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alvic
Ah but you may as well be you spend that much time on ere with us lot

and!!! my family came from there.........my family first arrived to Australia in the 1850's, one lot was from Bath and the other lot were from Scotland. a few more arrived just after that. sooooooooo~ in many ways i am one of ya!...hehehee...oh and they were all free settlers!..not a convict amongst them ( much to my dissapointment)

also..many over here ..and esp when i was in the USA think i am english with my accent........esp the people who have never met an australian before.......or.....they think i am Kiwi..not that many actualy say oh are you Australian.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.