Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Moved: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tantallon7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Answer: CANADA!

Having lived in both countries, I can categorically now tell you fellow Brits that – if I was to choose between living in Canada and living in the US – I’d choose the USA, every time.

Why? Well, Canada looks and sounds like its big cousin to the south, but there [ apart from one crucial similarity ] the likenesses end.

Canada is like England, only much bigger – a growing antipathy towards ALL immigrants, getting a good job is ALL about who you know and not about how good you are at your work, an ever-growing tax burden [ look at British Columbia { do you know how many individual taxes there are there? } ], ever-escalating house prices [ Calgary property has risen 30 per cent in one year ] , little-to-no work-life balance.

Canadians do NOT do things quickly [ why do you think Skilled Worker waits in Blighty are soooo long? ] - BUT they ARE very good at taking your money off you!

All you poor Skilled Worker applicants out there in Britain looking at a four, five-year wait – [1.] be careful what you wish for, and [2.] stay in Europe instead.

Toronto.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Originally Posted by Tantallon7

Having lived in both countries, I can categorically now tell you fellow Brits that – if I was to choose between living in Canada and living in the US – I’d choose the USA, every time.

Why? Well, Canada looks and sounds like its big cousin to the south, but there [ apart from one crucial similarity ] the likenesses end.

Canada is like England, only much bigger – a growing antipathy towards ALL immigrants, getting a good job is ALL about who you know and not about how good you are at your work, an ever-growing tax burden [ look at British Columbia { do you know how many individual taxes there are there? } ], ever-escalating house prices [ Calgary property has risen 30 per cent in one year ] , little-to-no work-life balance.

Canadians do NOT do things quickly [ why do you think Skilled Worker waits in Blighty are soooo long? ] - BUT they ARE very good at taking your money off you!

All you poor Skilled Worker applicants out there in Britain looking at a four, five-year wait – [1.] be careful what you wish for, and [2.] stay in Europe instead.

Toronto.
So why is your "location" UK then - why dont you go and live in USA ?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Toronto.
Pot, kettle, black ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...81#post2738281
Old Apr 21st 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto.
What is the point of this post????????????????????
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by skiboy10
What is the point of this post????????????????????
Sour grapes? And Calgary is perfect for representing the entire country's real estate market, natch.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Guys

Just think the OP is trying to stir some doo doo

:curse:
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moved: Question: What Looks And Sounds Like America, But Feels Like England?

Toronto.
Umm don't think the canadians would appreciate being compared to the americans quite so closely.
Me I would choose Canada over US any day.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guys think that this guy - the OP - is trolling !!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto.
.....you like brackets, don't you?

Last edited by neill; Apr 23rd 2007 at 3:42 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

jeffseye is an unknown quantity at this point

There is alot of negative post`s floating about at the moment
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jeffseye
Think it is the time of the year !!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats cos there are some negative aspects to living in Canada, its not all milk and honey.

However, you have to take some of them with a pinch of salt. I cant say I saw much in this one that tallied with my observations about life here. I think it lost all credibility with the implication that there was any sort of work/ life balance in the US compared to Canada and the UK in particular. The US invented the whole 10 day vacation thing after all... Canada certainly doesnt feel all that much like England to me...strangely it feels like...Canada! An entirely seperate entity to the US and the UK.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 23rd 2007 at 7:13 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

No there aren't.

I'll be positive, warm & cuddly and ignore your hanging offence.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:05 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

I prefer to ignore the neg comments about canada. Best thing is to make your own mind up. Mine is very positive and I love canada and cant wait to begin my new life out there. I think alot of people that post neg comment are becuase they have had a bad experiance. Life is what you make of it and alot of us from UK see canada as a great place and see it as a positive move and next stage after living in UK all our lives.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
I prefer to ignore the neg comments about canada. Best thing is to make your own mind up. Mine is very positive and I love canada and cant wait to begin my new life out there. I think alot of people that post neg comment are becuase they have had a bad experiance. Life is what you make of it and alot of us from UK see canada as a great place and see it as a positive move and next stage after living in UK all our lives.
Nope, a lot of people post negative comments because there are some negative aspects to life in Canada.

If you want to bury your head in the sand thats up to you, but forewarned is forearmed. Nowhere in life is going to be perfect, but at least if you are aware of the issues they dont seem as bad when you come up against them. This is no place for rose tinted specs.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 23rd 2007 at 7:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.