Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: How to rent a place in BC?

Moved: How to rent a place in BC?

Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: How to rent a place in BC?

Originally Posted by acer rose
... You may also choose to carry a cash deposit around with you - this was suggested to me by a local friend - I did not carry a full deposit with me in cash but did carry enough (about 10%) to make a cheque from a strange foreigner with no local job references more appealing if necessary (but remember to get a receipt for the total you hand over).
There is a lot of excellent advice in this post so I feel a bit guilty about disagreeing with this one point. However, I would be very, very cautious about handing over cash unless you are absolutely, 100%, certain that the person you are handing the cash to is the owner/manager of the property.

There have been several reports about scam artists purporting to let out an apartment, taking cash deposits from as many people they can, then disappearing.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:20 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal to put down money to hold a place. You shouldn't be giving anyone any money until you pay the first month rent and the security deposit.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but in BC the security deposit can't be more than 50% of the monthly rent.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

killbill is a jewel in the roughkillbill is a jewel in the roughkillbill is a jewel in the roughkillbill is a jewel in the roughkillbill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by acer rose
I would definitely suggest a multi-pronged attack. Unless money is no object, finding the right place will be a mad experience. You have about one week per month to find a place. Most viewings seem to be arranged for the same (first) weekend or the following week for a rental term to begin on the first day of the following month. Anything left over after this will probably either be overpriced or a total dive. Occasionally places come up to start a term in the middle of a month (15th). Most terms will be for a minimum of 12 months. I did see one place that was offered for a minimum term of 6 months.

First, make sure you have a map, a good idea of where you want to live (area), a contact number (purchasing a "cheap" PAYG cell phone will probably pay dividends), prepare your spiel for the phone calls (polish up your best telephone voice), prepare a few information cards containing a list of references (personal local ones are good) that you can hand in with your applications. You may also choose to carry a cash deposit around with you - this was suggested to me by a local friend - I did not carry a full deposit with me in cash but did carry enough (about 10%) to make a cheque from a strange foreigner with no local job references more appealing if necessary (but remember to get a receipt for the total you hand over).

1. Walk around the area in which you are looking for a rental. Take a pen, paper and cell phone. Phone for any vacancies you see advertised as soon as you see them - there will often be open house viewings arranged for the following weekend or one evening, or sometimes the manager will just love your dinky accent and invite you round for an immediate viewing.

2. Check out Craigslist and follow up anything that looks interesting. This source will probably have a mixture of private viewings and open houses.

3. Check out the local papers (Vancouver Sun, North Shore News, Georgia Straight) for rental ads. Follow up immediately with a phone call - these will probably be mostly open houses.

4. Ask anybody you have contact with at your new job (if you have one lined up) whether they know of anywhere suitable.

Some people spend months looking for the perfect place but there is plenty of choice that comes up if you are prepared to be flexible on size/location/number of rooms/laundry facilities etc. You need to decide what the must-haves are, what your budget is and where you need to get to. I was advised to avoid having to commute over more than one bridge. My commute is sometimes 2 bridges and sometime no bridges, but only becasue the job came after the rental.

Basement suites are generally cheaper than apartments because they are considered dark, cold and damp, however there are some nice "garden suites" available if you are prepared to live in a more family orientated community. If you move in to a split house arrangement, watch out for the division of bills some people do them as a percentage some people include it in the rent (useful if you don't want to stump up utilities deposits).

Apartments sometimes include heat, hot water and other stuff like laundry. Parking will often be extra though (depending on location).

South facing gets the best light, north facing might get a view.

Good luck.

edit: Google something like vancouver suite rental or vancouver apartment rental for lots of other places to look. I used http://www.rentbc.com/search.html to look as well as the standard sites/strategies mentioned above. In the end though my rental came through Craigslist.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all you replys. I spoke to my employer today and he is happy to provide me temporary living place. so far they are really helpful.
And I also kept my options open, checked on google maps and some rental sites. so got a bunch of motels and rentals list. E-mailed some of them but no response so far.
Thank you all...Merry christmas and happy new year
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:22 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is a lot of excellent advice in this post so I feel a bit guilty about disagreeing with this one point. However, I would be very, very cautious about handing over cash unless you are absolutely, 100%, certain that the person you are handing the cash to is the owner/manager of the property.

There have been several reports about scam artists purporting to let out an apartment, taking cash deposits from as many people they can, then disappearing.
Yeah, sorry totally agree, should have been clearer (I seemed to be writing an essay there). It seems a little redundant now as the OP is sorted but just for any future thread searches...

...if you are paying a deposit (ie are signing a lease), it may be beneficial to be prepared offer to pay the deposit (1/2 month in BC) and possibly the first month's rent in cash rather than by cheque. This was a strategy suggested by a local who has experience of renting in a hot Vancouver market.