Reload this Page >

Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

closedaccount999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by thedignans
sorry to hear you feel you haven't settled so far, but i am sure you will find NS a complete change from anywhere else in Canada...the pace of life is slower and as for property prices..$600,000!!!!!!!!! you could buy a castle in NS for that!!!!!!!(literally!!!) especially outside the Halifax area!!! my family and I are flying out on Dec 3rd for our new life in NS, and having travelled the length of the whole province we are moving to New Glasgow in Pictou County... for more info on my trip you can go to my bebo page. <www.bebo.com/4dingos> and go to my whiteboard...my whole trip is there for anyone to read....you may find it informative...

mike
thanks for the advice..we know that we could be alot better of in ns compared to here,just as well we made money in uk on our house otherwise we never would have got onto the property ladder here.
my concerns are obviously starting all over again, not friends/preschool and daycare etc etc.but im sure it will be worth it if it all works out. people here in kelowna are generally from other areas like calgary, vancouver and ontario and they all say that kelowna is one of the best places in canada to live, which in my mind worries me in that me and my hubby really arent that impressed by its infastructure...unless you love wine tours and golf of course, which makes me think we were better of in uk with our family and friends. but having invested time and money we will do a move to ns/ of maybe new brunswick (havent been their either) but more likely ns as it is bigger.

good luck with your move...out of intrested..why ns? do you have family there?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:51 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Mike is right - you could buy a palace in NS for $600k. Or better still you could just buy a really nice house for a lot less and have no financial pressure. I havent lived in any other areas of Canada but I do know that if it was me I would give it one last try in a different region to see if I felt at home before accepting defeat and suffering the huge cost of moving back to the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

If property prices and cost of living is you main priority, then you could do worse than go to NS or NB. It is a really big move however, not as big as your last one, but hardly round the corner.

For what its worth, if I were you, I would want to make a list of a) what you don't like about where you are living now and b) what your priorities really are.

When you have done this you should be able to eliminate loads of places from your list of possibles and I am sure that you could get loads of advice on here on "where to avoid the following" or "what place gives me my top 3".

As Paul says, it is worth giving it another shot before you head back to the UK or elsewhere, but you have learned the hard way not to just go somewhere and assume that it will be OK.

I would really recommend trying to take the family on a good holiday there too. You all need to be happy with the place before you make the commitment.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

closedaccount999 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks so much for the advice..its good to hear from others who are doing or have done it already..something again we should have done first time round. we plan to meet up with other expats when we get where we are going.

kyla