Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Default Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Hi everybody,

If any of you Ex-pats in Nova Scotia could spare any of your time next week it would be gratefully appreciated. I am off on my final reccie trip before my family Land for good . We still are not sure where to settle so any guidance would be gratefully received. I would love to meet you all maybe get a beer and pick your brains.
I have hired a car and I am willing to travel anywhere within NS to meet you all so get in touch please.

Thanks in advance
Michael
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:29 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi everybody,

If any of you Ex-pats in Nova Scotia could spare any of your time next week it would be gratefully appreciated. I am off on my final reccie trip before my family Land for good . We still are not sure where to settle so any guidance would be gratefully received. I would love to meet you all maybe get a beer and pick your brains.
I have hired a car and I am willing to travel anywhere within NS to meet you all so get in touch please.

Thanks in advance
Michael
Happy to meet up for a beer and bite to eat at lunchtime in downtown Halifax if that would work?

In the meantime though, I would say you probably need to spend a bit of time here together before you can decide where to settle for sure. A couple of reccie visits doesn't really do it. The large number of people who move to NS seem to have bought a house before the arrive. If you have a job in a particular location that that make things a bit more pre-determined but if not I would always advocate renting for a spell and having the opportunity to experience life here before making a comittment to a specific area (i.e. by buying a house). Some areas I thought looked great on reccie visits I now know (after 18 months) I wouldn't want to have settled in and vice versa.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Happy to meet up for a beer and bite to eat at lunchtime in downtown Halifax if that would work?

In the meantime though, I would say you probably need to spend a bit of time here together before you can decide where to settle for sure. A couple of reccie visits doesn't really do it. The large number of people who move to NS seem to have bought a house before the arrive. If you have a job in a particular location that that make things a bit more pre-determined but if not I would always advocate renting for a spell and having the opportunity to experience life here before making a comittment to a specific area (i.e. by buying a house). Some areas I thought looked great on reccie visits I now know (after 18 months) I wouldn't want to have settled in and vice versa.
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. We must be on the same wave-length we had no intention of buying right away. We have been looking around for some rental properties with the intention of looking for the perfect house/location for our family. We have a 3 year old and a new baby so I have to choose right for them. Where do you live? Can you reccomend somewhere which may be worth a look whilst I am over?
I would love to discuss it over a few beers, I am over on Saturday for a week so just let me where and when and I will be there.
Take care and thanks
Michael
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:47 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to discuss it over a few beers...
A few beers? At lunchtime? Okay, I'll have to try and arrange a "meeting" for that afternoon...
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul
A few beers? At lunchtime? Okay, I'll have to try and arrange a "meeting" for that afternoon...
You might have to tell your boss it's a long meeting as my wife has a list of questions that would choke a horse (so to speak).
How come they still manage to have their say even when there 1,000's miles away. Funny that.
Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:57 pm
Immigration Consultant

We have a 3 year old and a new baby so I have to choose right for them. Where do you live? Can you reccomend somewhere which may be worth a look whilst I am over?
Have a look at an old post of mine about a few different areas... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...03&postcount=3

Give me more detail though and I'll put my thinking cap on before next week (will PM you some dates and times btw). Are you going to be working? In what industry? Are you hoping to be near town/city or in the middle of nowhere? Do you want seaside nearby or indifferent? Do you want lots of land or something easy to manage? Are you looking for an "upmarket" area or somwhere innexpensive?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:19 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,

Thanks in advance
Michael
I'm free most of the time next week and am happy to join in! Evenings harder as the extra-curricular activity season is beginning. I will have my three year old in tow so how about somewhere like the Historic Properties? I believe the bar will still be open until the end of the month.

Mark
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:44 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
I'm free most of the time next week and am happy to join in! Evenings harder as the extra-curricular activity season is beginning. I will have my three year old in tow so how about somewhere like the Historic Properties? I believe the bar will still be open until the end of the month.

Mark
A three year old. A few beers. A long list of questions prepared by his wife.

This is getting complicated :-)

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Sep 13th 2007 at 4:46 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Moved: Calling all Ex Pats in Nova Scotia

looks like i am gonna have a few "meetings" next week then!!!!

here is my "rough" travel itinerary....
night 1. (saturday) New Glasgow..(meeting YES-CAN-DO/aka Joyce and Wullie) and crashing with them..
night 2. (sunday) Truro..
night 3. (monday) Windsor..
night 4. (tuesday) Kentville or Digby..
night 5. (wednesday) Yarmouth..
night 6. (thursday) Liverpool..
night 7. (friday) Halifax..

Incedently i have the keys for a property in Bear River to give it the once over regarding RENTAL with the option to buy later...so any info Re. Digby County would be appreciated...

thanks

Michael
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I can do Historic Properties on a weekday lunchtime, or maybe this Sunday.

Hi Mark <waves>
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Also...i am a printer but was planning to take a few months out to make sure Jools and the kids are settled before looking to get back to work...

Ideally we would like to stay in a small town or in a location close to somewhere with all the amenties that a modern family would need...

(schools,hospitals,shops,activities for kids,active social networks,(clubs etc), volunteer services....etc

think that covers all the info.....if I think of anything else I will post it soon!!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:03 pm
Immigration Consultant

It might as well be a full meet-up then. Historic properties is fine with me. Preferrably a any weekday except Friday though (unless I can rearange that meeting with my boss - it will probably be a waste fo time anyway)

Micheal - you itinerary looks great but you could probably to a lot of those places (like Truro, Kentville, Windsor) as day-trips from a central location if you didn't want to have to move to different accommodation every night. Halifax to Windsor for example is only about a 45 min drive. Just a suggestion.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the tip, you never know I might get round a bit quicker, but I was planning to meet as many "locals" in each town as I can, so as to get a "real" impression of them, and not the "brochure" impression...

Mike
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:12 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tuppence

Hi Mark <waves>
Hello , been a busy summer, sorry we haven't caught up...
Old Sep 13th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Hello , been a busy summer, sorry we haven't caught up...
You keep going on bloody vacation!!

I'm sure we will see you soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.