Moved: Bears

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:28 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Bears

Last week the newspaper published the top 10 ways people die in Canada.

Bears did not feature on the list at all.

I very much doubt if it they would appear on the top 100 list, so there are plenty of other ways to die that you can worry about instead.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:55 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

those rabbits are just bizzare!!!!!!! There was one last summer as big as my four year old, and brilliant fun to watch, we get them white, brown and all sorts of colours here, I am sure there's been a domestic cross.....

The gophers make me laugh the most though - they rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we have loads of deer here, beavers live down the road from us and we are pretty sure we seen a porcupine fella too!

We love it!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs M xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:02 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
those rabbits are just bizzare!!!!!!! There was one last summer as big as my four year old, and brilliant fun to watch, we get them white, brown and all sorts of colours here, I am sure there's been a domestic cross.....

The gophers make me laugh the most though - they rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we have loads of deer here, beavers live down the road from us and we are pretty sure we seen a porcupine fella too!

We love it!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs M xxx
A real eye popping moment comes when you come face to @rse with a skunk My close encounter:

We had been sitting by the fire pit all evening, doing the usual cold beer drinking, hot dog toasting when I heard a noise by the garage door. I walked up the side of the house and step around the corner on to the drive and there it was, Tail up, stamping its little feet (must have been a girl) and all the white hair drawing your eyes to a little pink bumhole .... I pause for about 2 seconds and stepped backwards around the corner ... I was lucky apparently I had quite a lengthy warning.

I need to work on my skunk reflexes no time to pause and think "ah, look a little skunk"
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen a bear twice in 10 years. Both times they were smaller black bears

Once I was riding my bike in a local conservation area and it crossed in front of me about 15 feet away. Glad it was going the other way to me!

Second time was in my back yard after a neighbour tipped us off it was coming along the fence line, so I had a chance to get the video camera out.

As far as things to worry about go, I'd be far more worried about traffic, or botulism, or asthma, or being hit by a falling meteor. Bear attacks are a non issue.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 24th 2008 at 4:21 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:04 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
A real eye popping moment comes when you come face to @rse with a skunk My close encounter:

We had been sitting by the fire pit all evening, doing the usual cold beer drinking, hot dog toasting when I heard a noise by the garage door. I walked up the side of the house and step around the corner on to the drive and there it was, Tail up, stamping its little feet (must have been a girl) and all the white hair drawing your eyes to a little pink bumhole .... I pause for about 2 seconds and stepped backwards around the corner ... I was lucky apparently I had quite a lengthy warning.

I need to work on my skunk reflexes no time to pause and think "ah, look a little skunk"

Oooh we drove past a squashed road kill skunk in Muskokas - awww the smell that permeated the car for the bext 10 mins - eeeeeurfhg!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:12 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Oooh we drove past a squashed road kill skunk in Muskokas - awww the smell that permeated the car for the bext 10 mins - eeeeeurfhg!!
Yes, the one I met lived in the culvert under the road and decided to spray the bird table on night. He/ She must have met something. Anyway our air exchanger in grid is oooh 40 feet away and around a corner. Still woke us all up at 2am and made me jump out of bed and rush to the basement to turn the air exchanger off!!

(Jules is lauging and says I didn't "Jump" out of bed and "Rush" anywhere, is was more like "Struggled and then lumbered downstairs).
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:15 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
I've watched bears sunbathing on the river bank while waterskiing
And it's not easier for a bear to water-ski.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazzz
The water skiing part is relatively easy.

It's teaching them how to drive the boat that's difficult.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:21 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
yup - think I would prefer to sun bathe and let the bears exert themselves!!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:11 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

See them plenty of times (behind that nice enclosure on Grouse Mtn) and we tend to get one wondering past the deck (once a year, never seen it myself thank god, that would be too close).

We live in North Vancouver (Lynn Valley).

Skunks, they have nested under our porch and racoons, bloody hell they are big beasties!

But, and I know I just posted to share this, I think our coinage shows the Canadian sense of fun. Get out a Toonie and look at it. Yep, that is the Queen with a Bear (bare) Behind
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:38 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by san38
Has anyone witnessed a bear in canada? I am going to live in Vancouver and feel really anxious about living where there are bears, would my children be safe walking alone,?

What safety precautions do i need if i see one?

Please help me, not using seeing these species
I just talked to one of my staff that is up working for the week. He lives in Victoria but is frequently in Vancouver. His response was that you should be more scared of the the citizens than the bears. As with any big city there are good and bad people. Brian has seen bears at Stanly park and other places - but has never heard of a bad incident.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:28 am

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just talked to one of my staff that is up working for the week. He lives in Victoria but is frequently in Vancouver. His response was that you should be more scared of the the citizens than the bears. As with any big city there are good and bad people. Brian has seen bears at Stanly park and other places - but has never heard of a bad incident.[/QUOTE]

I have lived here for a while now...have traversed the backwaters many a time....but have never seen a cougar, bear or moose...so I must be a good deterrent lol....In all seriousness I have read much literature and it is good to be 'bear aware' especially when it comes to managing garbage etc...but you have more chance as everyone else says of getting run over than bein attacked by a bear. Just read the literature and should you happen upon one.... run like hell!!! (just kidding)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Never gave much thought to bears!!!! Oh no,something else to worry about
I suppose I was sub conciously (and stupidly) thinking that they stayed within the national parks

Really surprised to hear people saying they have had bear in their gardens - WOW!!!!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thesidds
Really surprised to hear people saying they have had bear in their gardens - WOW!!!!!!!
The vast majority of Canadians haven't.

I've lived here 45 years and in that time I've seen three bears in the wild.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Cougars are a danger in several bars in Toronto too.

damn it Novo, I was just going to complain about having been mauled in a few bars around here!!