Moved: Bears

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Bears

Originally Posted by SarahBC
PS. No one mention the cougars.....
We have seen bears. We also had a cougar walk through our field and watched it for 30-40 seconds, it was a really inspiring moment. Mind you we were watching from inside our house at the time.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:43 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Always carry large rocks in your coat, just in case of bear spotting.

That way you can scare them away with a hefy lob to the head.

This advice inspired by Viz, circa 1995.

R.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:11 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Down here in Lethbridge I see one reguarly, he's a big fella, stuffed and a in a glass box.......other than that I totally understand the OPs concern, before I moved here I was worried about everything that I could worry about.

It's natural to be nervous about a new environment, even though we are taking the pee a bit, if you are a mum especially these are all things you want to know before you commit!

And if all else fails, just run, you don't need to be a fast runner, just faster than the person behind you.

All the best
Mrs Miggins xxx
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:22 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently Lethbridge has a fair few Cougars Downtown on a weekend, so I heard
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:32 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Always carry large rocks in your coat, just in case of bear spotting.

That way you can scare them away with a hefy lob to the head.

This advice inspired by Viz, circa 1995.

R.

My hubby thought I was mad for picking up a few heavy rocks and a large pointy stick when we were out walking in Kananaskis!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:38 am

[QUOTE=minihaha;6095590]Apparently Lethbridge has a fair few Cougars Downtown on a weekend, so I heard[/QUOTE

Well they you would know honey - by the way, is that fetching garment you are wearing a kaftan by any chance

(Make sure you have the kettle on tomorrow xxx)

Mrs Quiet and Demure Miggins xxxx
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:43 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Mrs Miggins;6095604]
Originally Posted by minihaha
Apparently Lethbridge has a fair few Cougars Downtown on a weekend, so I heard[/QUOTE

Well they you would know honey - by the way, is that fetching garment you are wearing a kaftan by any chance

(Make sure you have the kettle on tomorrow xxx)

Mrs Quiet and Demure Miggins xxxx

You "quiet and demure "lol dont make me laff me throats on fire tonight. You been sending ur Westside germs this way.

Il be in quarentine tomorow will catch u in the week dude.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:48 am

maybe Mr Haha, when he gets back, can knock up some man soup, I hear it works wonders for your throat - byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xxxxxxxx
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Hi,

As has been said, there are more prevalent dangers than bear / cougar attacks. Look at the statistics if you can - you'll find way more dreadful road deaths and injuries, than wildlife incidents.

But, we're 'socially used to road traffic accidents,' unfortunately! But the perceived fear of bear attacks is much higher.

Anyway,some great advice on here, as Hot Wasabi peas said, get knowledge of what to do in these situations.
Know areas where bears / cougars move. Actually, they are very fascinating, I think.

If you don't actaully live in Canada yet, your anxiety is accentuated, when you are 'there on the ground' involved, getting to know people, the layout, etc. things usually feel better.

Knowledge dispels fear! Who said that? An old school motto, perhaps.

All The Best.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

pretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant future

In 4+ yrs of backcountry mt biking and hiking I have seen a couple blackbears but it wasn't a bother. Once road cycling on highway 40 in K-country in the spring before it's open to traffic there were 2 grizzlies feeding by the side of the road. We sat in the distance and watched until they moved on and resumed our ride, what a wonderful moment.

That said, as one of Canadian friends replied when i first asked him what's how do you tell back bears and grizzlies apart. He sat back and explained; "You see young man, if the bear climbs up the tree and eats you, it was a blackbear. If it knocks the tree down and eats you, it was a grizzly."
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:02 am
Banned

ipevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by san38
Has anyone witnessed a bear in canada? I am going to live in Vancouver and feel really anxious about living where there are bears, would my children be safe walking alone,?

What safety precautions do i need if i see one?

Please help me, not using seeing these species
Yes even had one in the garden here in Belleville Ontario, came in for a look around, found nothing and left
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about

Thank u so much for all the comments, if i see one in the night in my back garden then i think i would pass out.

I love animals but to stumble across a bear is surreal to me,
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thank u so much for all the comments, if i see one in the night in my back garden then i think i would pass out.

If you see one in your back garden you'd probably be wise to stay in the house. The likelihood of that happening depends on where you live, but as others have said, a bear is usually looking for fruit on the ground, or garbage to rummage through, so if you don't leave stuff out for them they probably won't bother you.

I love the fact that there are large wild animals living wild in the countryside here. I even enjoy spotting Coyotes and have seen wolves, moose and various deer-type things. My family saw a young grizzly eating berries by the roadside on their first trip to the mountains, and like to tease me cos I haven't seen one yet!

I love the squirrels and chipmunks, the marmots, .... and those big old jack-rabbits that bound around our communities. They are just starting to regain their brown colour now it's warming up (they turn white in the winter) and look rather grubby!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

i saw a bear in glasgow
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:49 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

I love the way this note home from school tells the kids to walk in groups ........... breakfast dinner & tea I suppose Also tells them to stick to the roads ............. mmmm OK
Attached Thumbnails Moved: Bears-october-2006-053.jpg   Moved: Bears-may-2007-109.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.