Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Move to Montreal Area

Move to Montreal Area

Old Jul 16th 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Move to Montreal Area

Hello everyone! I have been hanging out on the US forums for years, since my experience has been mainly with US immigration, moving from Norway to the US on a fiance visa back in the 80's, becoming a US permanent resident and eventually taking the plunge and become a US citizen. I thought I was done with immigration after going through the US naturalization process, but it would appear that this is not so......

I was recently informed that my position (currently in New York City) will be relocated to Montreal next year, and I am being offered the opportunity to relocate. Details of the offer is still being worked out at this point.

There are obviously a lot of questions I have on this, but the first one that comes to mind as I'm not familiar with Montreal is what parts of Montreal or the greater Montreal area would be a good place for an english speaking couple (we have no kids) to look at real estate? We have a two family house in suburban New Jersey now that we would probably put on the market, and are initially looking for a nice suburban area within reach from Montreal itself. (1900 block of McGill college to be exact.)

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited by discoviking; Jul 16th 2014 at 6:52 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Montreal Area

You're probably going to get all sorts of people saying stay in the city centre etc and enjoy all that the middle of Montreal has to offer.

In terms of 'suburban' areas within reach, I would imagine that parts of Pointe-Claire, Kirkland, Beconsfield, St-Anne-de-Bellevue expecially the southern areas would tick your boxes. I believe those areas are on the commuter rail line but not the Metro. This is the area known as the 'West Island'.

Those area are about 50% english speaking and generally in all shops etc you can be served in english. There are even a few rogue 'stop' signs that don't say 'arret' on them.

Most housing is 1950-1980 vintage and it looks in many ways indistinguishable from middle american suburbia.

If you have lots of money, Westmount is the place to be. If you have little money, Verdun would suit you.

Originally Posted by discoviking
Hello everyone! I have been hanging out on the US forums for years, since my experience has been mainly with US immigration, moving from Norway to the US on a fiance visa back in the 80's, becoming a US permanent resident and eventually taking the plunge and become a US citizen. I thought I was done with immigration after going through the US naturalization process, but it would appear that this is not so......

I was recently informed that my position (currently in New York City) will be relocated to Montreal next year, and I am being offered the opportunity to relocate. Details of the offer is still being worked out at this point.

There are obviously a lot of questions I have on this, but the first one that comes to mind as I'm not familiar with Montreal is what parts of Montreal or the greater Montreal area would be a good place for an english speaking couple (we have no kids) to look at real estate? We have a two family house in suburban New Jersey now that we would probably put on the market, and are initially looking for a nice suburban area within reach from Montreal itself. (1900 block of McGill college to be exact.)

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:23 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

What Partially said, except perhaps for the Verdun bit. Verdun is a dump, although an up-and-coming dump.

Don't ignore the South Shore. The bridges can be a pain but probably no more so than the commute from the West Island. Fairly anglo and I suspect that property is much cheaper than on the island.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you! This gives me an idea of where to start looking.