Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motorcycling in Ontario

Motorcycling in Ontario

Old May 3rd 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Motorcycling in Ontario

I cracked last week - it had been nearly 12 months since I rode - and bought a new Suzuki. I know there's been several threads about biking in Canada, but I have found an excellent insurance broker, close to $600 lower than the next cheapest quote.
So if there's others out there that are about to take the plunge, PM or Email me - I'll pass on the details. Sadly I have a feeling he deals in Ontario only.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycling in Ontario

What did you get? My boss caved and got a Suzuki V-Strom 650 this year. Hasnt stopped complaining about buffeting and the crap fairing..or the need to keep below 5000rpm for a while yet

On the bright side his insurance dropped about $2k this year....when he ditched his 20 something son from the rider list and was able to go through an online broker

I got passed by a Hayabusa on the 401 the other day. I doubt it was doing less than 200kmh :scared:

Last edited by iaink; May 3rd 2006 at 5:15 pm.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
What did you get? My boss caved and got a Suzuki V-Strom 650 this year. Hasnt stopped complaining about buffeting and the crap fairing..or the need to keep below 5000rpm for a while yet

On the bright side his insurance dropped about $2k this year....when he ditched his 20 something son from the rider list and was able to go through an online broker

I got passed by a Hayabusa on the 401 the other day. I doubt it was doing less than 200kmh :scared:
I got a GSX 750F Katana:
http://http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product...&culture=en-CA
I get confused about the name as I work in Kanata, Ottawa! The insurance was loaded against me - I put Mrs Snave on it too as she has full "M", I'm only M2 so I'm the one they rub their hands in delight over. She was "free". The insurance was a sniff under $1k - TD bank had quoted me $1600.
I can believe it over the Hayabusa - isn't it the fastest production bike? I wouldn't do that sort of speeds on Canadian roads though: Canadian drivers, potholes, Canadian drivers, tar snakes and Canadian drivers.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
I got a GSX 750F Katana:
http://http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product...&culture=en-CA
I get confused about the name as I work in Kanata, Ottawa! The insurance was loaded against me - I put Mrs Snave on it too as she has full "M", I'm only M2 so I'm the one they rub their hands in delight over. She was "free". The insurance was a sniff under $1k - TD bank had quoted me $1600.
I can believe it over the Hayabusa - isn't it the fastest production bike? I wouldn't do that sort of speeds on Canadian roads though: Canadian drivers, potholes, Canadian drivers, tar snakes and Canadian drivers.
Who's the broker? I was looking at the Ontario Motorcycle handbook last night and noted that I only have to do the M2 test to get a full M licence as I had my licence in the UK for more than 2 years! So seriously considering doing the test this summer (when it's stopped snowing! Yes, it's snowing as I type!!) and getting myself another bike.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Who's the broker? I was looking at the Ontario Motorcycle handbook last night and noted that I only have to do the M2 test to get a full M licence as I had my licence in the UK for more than 2 years! So seriously considering doing the test this summer (when it's stopped snowing! Yes, it's snowing as I type!!) and getting myself another bike.
If its still snowing now, you will get what? three months use of it before it goes back in the toy box? Thats a lot to pay per ride for insurance!

Do you have a skidoo? might be better bang for the buck
Old May 4th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

If its still snowing now, you will get what? three months use of it before it goes back in the toy box? Thats a lot to pay per ride for insurance!

Do you have a skidoo? might be better bang for the buck
You're obviously not a rider then or if you are, you haven't been bitten by 'THE BUG'!!!! It pains me physically not to have a bike!! I reckon up here I could get a 6 month season, 7 months at a push - having ridden in Scotland on a daily basis through the winter snow/hail/ice, etc I can keep riding until the snow starts lying on the ground. Cold doesn't bother me - Canada has a nice cold, not like Scotland!!
Old May 4th 2006, 7:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by TrishB
You're obviously not a rider then or if you are, you haven't been bitten by 'THE BUG'!!!! It pains me physically not to have a bike!! I reckon up here I could get a 6 month season, 7 months at a push - having ridden in Scotland on a daily basis through the winter snow/hail/ice, etc I can keep riding until the snow starts lying on the ground. Cold doesn't bother me - Canada has a nice cold, not like Scotland!!
Its not just the snow thats a problem, its all the shit they put on the road!
Old May 5th 2006, 12:33 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just the snow thats a problem, its all the shit they put on the road!
Dont people clean up after their dogs there then? Or do the sewers back up when it snows?
Old May 5th 2006, 12:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Dont people clean up after their dogs there then? Or do the sewers back up when it snows?
Grit, Gravel, Sand, you name it, if it will make your bike fall out from under you going round a corner, they put it on the roads here in snow season to aid traction.

Then it takes them a while to get around to sweeping them clean when snow season is done. The longer the snow season, the shorter the bike season, although you always see some nutter out on a sports bike before the roads have been cleaned...and then you hear the ambulance siren a little while later.

Due to the seasonal nature of biking here it seems the average canadian driver is not very well tuned in to paying attention for bikes and what they are up to either. There is a reason insurance premiums for bikers here are sky high.