Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Smalltown hick hits Toronto

Smalltown hick hits Toronto

Old May 4th 2006, 1:30 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smalltown hick hits Toronto

OK so I seen the delights of Hamilton/Burlington. Business trip 3 days in and out. I guess I concur with the guys in the TO office, compared to BC, they say:

"The girls ain't so pretty
But man, they got bigger titty"

...and I gotta agree, t'is the way it is out here. Whaddyer feed em ?

Be glad to be back home to the hicks in the sticks and see a few mountains lakes and the quiet life. Jeez the biggest thing on the topography here is a freeway ramp. You guys ski down 'em in winter ?

Rich. [pissed in some business hotel by a freeway]
Old May 4th 2006, 1:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smalltown hick hits Toronto

Originally Posted by Rich_007
OK so I seen the delights of Hamilton/Burlington. Business trip 3 days in and out. I guess I concur with the guys in the TO office, compared to BC, they say:

"The girls ain't so pretty
But man, they got bigger titty"

...and I gotta agree, t'is the way it is out here. Whaddyer feed em ?

Be glad to be back home to the hicks in the sticks and see a few mountains lakes and the quiet life. Jeez the biggest thing on the topography here is a freeway ramp. You guys ski down 'em in winter ?

Rich. [pissed in some business hotel by a freeway]

If you can get to actual Toronto and would like to drink beer then please advise. This could be with wobbling tits, in which case I suggest Filmore's, or good beer, in which case the BierMarkt would be easy for you as it's near the station.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:40 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you can get to actual Toronto and would like to drink beer then please advise. This could be with wobbling tits, in which case I suggest Filmore's, or good beer, in which case the BierMarkt would be easy for you as it's near the station.
If I had the time I'd be on a mission to search and destroy
Sadly early start and late finish is the order of the day.

Next time.

Rich.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
If I had the time I'd be on a mission to search and destroy
Sadly early start and late finish is the order of the day.

Next time.

Rich.
Shame. Toronto's not a great city by any means but don't judge it by the 'burbs, there are much better bits than there.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:23 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

But how did it feel to fly for 5 hours and still not be entitled to duty free?!!
Old May 4th 2006, 7:17 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareBC
But how did it feel to fly for 5 hours and still not be entitled to duty free?!!
Old May 4th 2006, 11:46 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

OK, how easy is it to get in from East of TO (Don Valley?) to drink beer with you? I'm in the area for a couple of days next week. We could compare Newfoundlander notes?
Old May 4th 2006, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
OK, how easy is it to get in from East of TO (Don Valley?) to drink beer with you? I'm in the area for a couple of days next week. We could compare Newfoundlander notes?
Very easy.

I live east of the Don Valley, in the beach, so if Fuller's will do, it'd be handy for me to go here : http://home.istar.ca/~feathers/ but it depends exactly where you are, if you're at the Inn on the Park or the disenfranchised Holiday Inn by the DVP, the Rose and Crown at Yonge and Eg might be better. This might also be good : http://allens.to/ it's at Broadview and Danforth. Whereabouts are you staying ?
Old May 4th 2006, 12:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Very easy.

I live east of the Don Valley, in the beach, so if Fuller's will do, it'd be handy for me to go here : http://home.istar.ca/~feathers/ but it depends exactly where you are, if you're at the Inn on the Park or the disenfranchised Holiday Inn by the DVP, the Rose and Crown at Yonge and Eg might be better. This might also be good : http://allens.to/ it's at Broadview and Danforth. Whereabouts are you staying ?

Hmm, checking my reservation details mebbe its not the Don Valley as we are staying at the Radisson Hotel Toronto East, 55 Hallcrown Place which appears from the map to be right on top of the 401. But my knowledge of the GTA is virtually zip having only stayed in TO once when missing a flight connection! Anyway if this works at all I'm there at the latter half of next week.

AX
Old May 4th 2006, 12:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hmm, checking my reservation details mebbe its not the Don Valley as we are staying at the Radisson Hotel Toronto East, 55 Hallcrown Place which appears from the map to be right on top of the 401. But my knowledge of the GTA is virtually zip having only stayed in TO once when missing a flight connection! Anyway if this works at all I'm there at the latter half of next week.

AX
It seems to be at Vic Park and the 401 which means it's one bus to the Feathers (Vic Park and Kingston Road) but it's a very long bus ride through some very dreary parts of town. I'd guess it's $20-25 in a cab as I know it's 20 minutes to drive. There must be some means to get from the hotel to the subway though, a shuttle bus or similar, how about you ask when you get there and we work it out then?
Old May 4th 2006, 11:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

It seems to be at Vic Park and the 401 which means it's one bus to the Feathers (Vic Park and Kingston Road) but it's a very long bus ride through some very dreary parts of town. I'd guess it's $20-25 in a cab as I know it's 20 minutes to drive. There must be some means to get from the hotel to the subway though, a shuttle bus or similar, how about you ask when you get there and we work it out then?
Coo. Will do. It'd be Weds or Thurs night. Feathers looks good. Do they really do Real Ale? That'd be worth the trip in itself!
Old May 5th 2006, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Coo. Will do. It'd be Weds or Thurs night. Feathers looks good. Do they really do Real Ale? That'd be worth the trip in itself!
They have Fuller's but it's gassed. I don't think they currently have anything from a handpump. We were at Allen's last night and had some ESB which was nice. I think you must be able to get real ale in St John's though, the daughter of a friend is a partner in firm called, excrutiatingly, Storm Brewing in Newfoundland, which I believe makes proper beer.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

They have Fuller's but it's gassed. I don't think they currently have anything from a handpump. We were at Allen's last night and had some ESB which was nice. I think you must be able to get real ale in St John's though, the daughter of a friend is a partner in firm called, excrutiatingly, Storm Brewing in Newfoundland, which I believe makes proper beer.
I wasnt taken by the Storm Brewing beer on the one occasion I tried it. No Real Ale in St John's I'm afraid, its all gassed or bottled. My tipple of choice is 1892 from Quidi Vidi brewing http://www.icebergbeer.com/1892.php a local micro whose new angle is beer made with iceberg water.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

My tipple of choice is 1892 from Quidi Vidi....
That looks worth a try. Our favourite bottled beer of the moment is Cameron's Auburn Ale, which comes from somewhere in the suburbs.