Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motivation - really curious to know

Motivation - really curious to know

Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:12 pm
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future
Default Re: Motivation - really curious to know

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
*Tony Blair - Lying, arrogant toerag. Cares more about building himself a legacy on the world stage than issues at home. Ignores the opinions of the vast majority of his own country. Keeps getting back into power through a lucky combination of no decent opposition, and the fact he looks after the unemployed layabout dossers who can actually have the spare time to vote on polling day. And his teeth annoy me. His wife is also evil and very, very unpleasing on the eyes.
I can't stand the guy either, but I wouldn't put him down as a reason to leave the UK, after all he's out of a job next year! My gripe is what this government has done over the last 10 years which is likely to have long lasting implications for the UK. Won't go into too much detail, but if you look behind the spin induced sound bites, this government has done things that will take the UK years and years to recover from. High house prices/massive debt/pensions etc etc.

Enough of that. My main reason is to try something different. Both my wife and I want to experience other cultures. I've reached a point in my career where I feel I want a new challenge, so has my wife. Having a three year old son makes us focus on doing what's best for him as well.

I don't want to sit down when I'm 70, regretting not having lived life to the full. An opportunity to come to Canada, hopefully improve our quality of life, make new friends and hopefully make a positive contribution is what drives me .

Last edited by ARH; Nov 9th 2006 at 6:42 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
He needs all the immigration money so he can have his sexy parties in Ottawa.
Stephen Harper and "sexy" in the same paragraph? Ive seen everything now. Did I miss something
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I met one of those crazy Canadian girls. She said move to Canada or I'll beat you. Having moved to Canada, she still beats me.

Seriously though, I never considered moving to Canada before i met my girlfriend, but I have to say it was the best decision I ever made.

Although I here voices at night whispering in my ear, they say "where's my engagement ring". Any one else had this phenomena? Crazy.
Admit it. You are me.

In my case, the bird had been banging on for 8 years about having an "ownership" ring. I never quite got round to it. A few months ago, while we were walking around the Byward Market in Ottawa, she suddenly bought a cheap silver thingy off a stall and announced that it was her wedding ring. I thought I was off the hook.

The next day, she took it into a jeweller and told him make her one just like it in white and yellow gold.

I still get the whispering in the ear, except it's not related to rings but to snoring. And she doesn't whisper.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Good plan. I find drinking 10 pints before bed makes it go away. I tell the voices that since I'm having to give all my money to Steven Harper for my PR, it'll have to wait. He needs all the immigration money so he can have his sexy parties in Ottawa. And I can't begrudge the man that!
I'm not going to tell you my personal opinions of Harper (probably get me banned from the forum) and his lot, they still owe me $485!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:35 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Stephen Harper and "sexy" in the same paragraph? Ive seen everything now. Did I miss something

With all that make-up he works? The ladies love him! haha i was quoting the famous Stewie Griffin.

He does seem to have put on a lot of weight though. I have suspicions of how the Landing Fee coffers are being spent.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:37 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Admit it. You are me.

In my case, the bird had been banging on for 8 years about having an "ownership" ring. I never quite got round to it. A few months ago, while we were walking around the Byward Market in Ottawa, she suddenly bought a cheap silver thingy off a stall and announced that it was her wedding ring. I thought I was off the hook.

The next day, she took it into a jeweller and told him make her one just like it in white and yellow gold.

I still get the whispering in the ear, except it's not related to rings but to snoring. And she doesn't whisper.
Have you married her yet? I just wondered how people with family in Canada and the UK decide on wedding locations. Sounds like a logistical nightmare. I was thinking Iceland as a fair mid-point. Better than my girlfriends suggestions of TWO weddings!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Admit it. You are me.

WTF?

"Ownership" Ring?!?!?!

Isn't that what you put on your pet's collar in case it runs off?

Oh mate, you've been stitched up good and proper!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

With all that make-up he works? The ladies love him!
Locally, they prefer Belinda.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Have you married her yet? I just wondered how people with family in Canada and the UK decide on wedding locations. Sounds like a logistical nightmare. I was thinking Iceland as a fair mid-point. Better than my girlfriends suggestions of TWO weddings!
We went to Vegas. Elvis did a fine and dandy job. Young, sexy elvis...not fat old elvis. The wedding nearly didnt happen
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

I've (note - not we) decided that when we get married, we'll do it in a far-away location that costs a lot to get to. And then make people travel there on their own wad.

Gets rid of her seemingly never-ending pool of freeloading aunts/uncles and cousins, and basically guarantees only decent people will attend. Think of it as like a high entrance/cover charge to an exclusive nightclub.

This needs to be done not only because I could never afford her dream wedding if I lived to be 300, but her huge family and friends outweigh mine back home by a ratio of approx 20:1.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

We've often talked about it. We both like the idea of being married, even though we've both been married before. It's the prospect of the actual marriage that puts us off.

Odds are, if we ever bother, it'll be a quiet affair somewhere warm and without families. Just a simple affirmation of love as I gently slip my bank card into her hand on a more formal basis.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
I've (note - not we) decided that when we get married, we'll do it in a far-away location that costs a lot to get to. And then make people travel there on their own wad.

Gets rid of her seemingly never-ending pool of freeloading aunts/uncles and cousins, and basically guarantees only decent people will attend. Think of it as like a high entrance/cover charge to an exclusive nightclub.

This needs to be done not only because I could never afford her dream wedding if I lived to be 300, but her huge family and friends outweigh mine back home by a ratio of approx 20:1.
Vegas it is then...ideal. A wedding package will cost you about $500 for video, pictures, limo, flowers, webcam etc etc, and if people show up they will have fun,...if they dont, who cares, they can watch it on the webcam from the comfort of there own homes...they cant argue they were excluded. Lots of cheap accomodation for those that do make the trip too.

Plus, did I mention you can get married by Elvis UhHuh, Thankyouverymuch.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Locally, they prefer Belinda.
EWWWWW

Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
I really am curious to know what it is that motivates people to emigrate from the UK to Canada these days. Here's my thinking -

When I left in the 70's, thousands of people were doing likewise. The economy in Britain was down the drain (and there was a literal brain-drain going on as well, professionals moving to North America). There were rotational power outages all over the country. Unemployment was high. Prospects for our kids were dismal. Strike after strike. Corrupt politics (same as everywhere, I guess!), everyone having trouble making ends meet, and on and on.

Now, however, things are very different. From my observations on my annual trips back to the UK, the economy seems to be booming, everyone appears to have money to spend, lots of vacation time and money to go all over the world for vacations. Cars on the road are now bigger and newer. More kids are going to university than ever before (only for the privileged few in my day). There are still inner-city problems with overcrowding, and youth issues, but that's pretty much true here as well.

Which brings me back to the question for those recently arrived and the ones waiting - what are your reasons for wanting to leave the UK? I really am interest to know. Partly because I have been thinking of moving back there!!
I had this conversation with a bunch of ex-pat old-timers a few years ago. One said exactly what you said, that the UK was totally different back then and he couldn't really see big economic reasons for moving to Canada now. I replied that i didn't come to canada to escape anything bad, really it's an opportunity for me to experience different things in life. When you see the modern UK, that's what youngsters are doing more and more! with the gap year, and so on. They are being actively encouraged to 'get on the boat', so to speak, but not to escape unemployment or rolling blackouts etc. Just to grow up and become more rounded individuals!!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

We've often talked about it. We both like the idea of being married, even though we've both been married before. It's the prospect of the actual marriage that puts us off.

Odds are, if we ever bother, it'll be a quiet affair somewhere warm and without families. Just a simple affirmation of love as I gently slip my bank card into her hand on a more formal basis.
I liked the idea of being married and couldn't stand the thought of a wedding day but finally had a do for 29 people - spent about £750 all in on a meal the night before so people could meet each other and a 3-course lunch in a nice, quiet country hotel. Everyone was pretty well behaved and it was ok, though I should have chilled a bit and then I might have enjoyed it.

I love being married which irritates me a bit as I thought I was quite happy co-habiting!

My sister just had two friends as witnesses and and had real laugh - arrived at Marlyborne Reg Office in a Karma Cab playing the calvary charge on it's horn......if I had my time again, I'd do the Elvis in Vegas thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.