Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motivation - really curious to know

Motivation - really curious to know

Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:41 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of
Default Motivation - really curious to know

I really am curious to know what it is that motivates people to emigrate from the UK to Canada these days. Here's my thinking -

When I left in the 70's, thousands of people were doing likewise. The economy in Britain was down the drain (and there was a literal brain-drain going on as well, professionals moving to North America). There were rotational power outages all over the country. Unemployment was high. Prospects for our kids were dismal. Strike after strike. Corrupt politics (same as everywhere, I guess!), everyone having trouble making ends meet, and on and on.

Now, however, things are very different. From my observations on my annual trips back to the UK, the economy seems to be booming, everyone appears to have money to spend, lots of vacation time and money to go all over the world for vacations. Cars on the road are now bigger and newer. More kids are going to university than ever before (only for the privileged few in my day). There are still inner-city problems with overcrowding, and youth issues, but that's pretty much true here as well.

Which brings me back to the question for those recently arrived and the ones waiting - what are your reasons for wanting to leave the UK? I really am interest to know. Partly because I have been thinking of moving back there!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of
Default Re: Motivation - really curious to know

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
I really am curious to know what it is that motivates people to emigrate from the UK to Canada these days. Here's my thinking -

When I left in the 70's, thousands of people were doing likewise. The economy in Britain was down the drain (and there was a literal brain-drain going on as well, professionals moving to North America). There were rotational power outages all over the country. Unemployment was high. Prospects for our kids were dismal. Strike after strike. Corrupt politics (same as everywhere, I guess!), everyone having trouble making ends meet, and on and on.

Now, however, things are very different. From my observations on my annual trips back to the UK, the economy seems to be booming, everyone appears to have money to spend, lots of vacation time and money to go all over the world for vacations. Cars on the road are now bigger and newer. More kids are going to university than ever before (only for the privileged few in my day). There are still inner-city problems with overcrowding, and youth issues, but that's pretty much true here as well.

Which brings me back to the question for those recently arrived and the ones waiting - what are your reasons for wanting to leave the UK? I really am interest to know. Partly because I have been thinking of moving back there!!

this is purely my reason for leaving, and i appreciate people will dissagree but

we left as we had reached a stage inlife where our business in the uk was being affected by the turn in the NHS laws regarding dentistry, my husband was being restricted in how much he could charge , the dentists were moaning they were not making enough money , so we are here now and he is doing the type of work he enjoys.
yes we had 4 weeks a year hols but not everyone can afford holidays abroad , there are alot of people struggling with money issues , credit is easy to get and unfortuneatley many people are in debt with this. The road tax on big cars was increased again so it does not pay to go big . houses do not sell quickly as i think some people on here are realising.
we moved with two teenagers who would not go back for any money , i feel comfortable here , there are many issues which are a struggle but you get that at home ,
so , i think the move was not monetry gain , fantastic life style , we just felt , life in the uk was getting stale , we were bored , and my husband could do and be appreciated for the work he does , cosmetic dentistry !
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

We're here for more money and a shorter working week for Mr B.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it comes down to a belief that one can buy more stuff in Canada; the lust for objects being tempered only by fear of America. The desire to go home, otoh, is fuelled by the view that there may be more to life than consumer durables. Canada; the place for philistine wimps.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I came because the opportunity arose and I was young and single enough to not want to go through life wondering "what if".

I stay cos I got paid 50% more (probably no longer true?) and have a more interesting varied job, but mainly because (apart from liking it here) I can afford to own a reasonable house here with a nice big yard. In the UK even working in a reponsible engineering position I still lived in a house shared with a bundh of others to make ends meet. There are many other things I like, but thats the biggie.

Im not sure I consider myself a philistine wimp, but dbd must as hes lived here longer than most posters here.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 9th 2006 at 5:25 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone ran over my car whilst we were in it - Ā£3000 of damage and 3 weeks to fix, we haven't gone out after dark since and really living in fear of yobs tends to annoy you after a while.

Plus, I did voluntary work for three years & came to the conclusion that you either need to be very rich or quite poor - the middle classes are being taxed into oblivion.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
Plus, I did voluntary work for three years & came to the conclusion that you either need to be very rich or quite poor - the middle classes are being taxed into oblivion.
Its far simpler in Canada for sure
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

My primary motivation was to be with my mrs. But obviously if I loved the UK that much, I would have chosen that over her, but these are the reasons why that didn't happen (in no particular order):

*Crime - ridiculous. Nothing more to be said. Releasing prisoners early because there's no room? Unreal.

*Immigration - out of control. And that's just it - i'm not anti-immigration (i'd be a hypocrite if I was), but i'd like to see some element of control.

*Housing Market - could never afford a house by myself. Would like a share of my parents when they go, but we'll probably have to sell it if they need care, since they did the dishonourable thing by working hard and paying tax all their lives.

*Tony Blair - Lying, arrogant toerag. Cares more about building himself a legacy on the world stage than issues at home. Ignores the opinions of the vast majority of his own country. Keeps getting back into power through a lucky combination of no decent opposition, and the fact he looks after the unemployed layabout dossers who can actually have the spare time to vote on polling day. And his teeth annoy me. His wife is also evil and very, very unpleasing on the eyes.

*Injustice - Call me simple, but I get enraged when I read the Sun online and see some drunken unemployed idiot has crashed a stolen car without a licence or insurance into an innocent child and killed him/her. And then gets 5 weeks for it.
Meanwhile, decent, hard-working people pay taxes on anything, never claim it back, get stung by taxes all over the place, and are hounded down by speed cameras everywhere.

*General Stupidity - Wanting to tax people on their emissions and restrict flying? Give me a break. Next day sending Government workers for a conference about the Internet to Athens (when they could have discussed via the Internet)? Hypocracy of the highest order. Man Utd getting lottery cash to improve the fitness of their staff while war vets are refused a trip to lay some poppies? Couldn't make it up.

Yes, I just admitted that I still read the Sun, but you get the vibe.

The best part about it all - I love reading the Have Your Say section of the BBC News website, and every day there's a new thing for people to moan about. "I'll be leaving soon", "i'm emigrating", "Canada here I come". Well, I didn't moan, I just did it. And i've never looked back.

I don't moan about the cost of living, compare how it is to back home, gripe when I think the Canadians aren't being nice to me.

I like it here, and i'm going to stay. I'm actually quite, quite happy!

As many people have said - it's what you make of it, and whatever you put in you're sure to get back.

In the UK I felt I was putting in, but getting nothing back...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

Firstly, I don't dislike UK!
Personally I fell in love with the place (BC) about 10 years ago and made inquiries then, but I could not get the points so I studied, got qualifications and well, here we are "In Process".
Each and every time we go over, it feels like going home (Even when I flew this year for 2 months and left the OH in UK. )
BC is like a BIG Scotland in geographical terms anyway!
We have sold our house and invested some of that in rental properties in BC, so we have income when we do get over there!
Before someone jumps on and does the "rose tinted glasses" speach, YES I do realise that its different when its not a holiday, YES I do realise its not easy to get established etc.
We have family over here, so we have that support and experience to jelp us get settled etc.
We're doing this with our eyes WIDE open and with a LOT of investigation and information!
HTH
Kenny
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I came because the opportunity arose and I was young and single enough to not want to go through life wondering "what if".

I stay cos I got paid 50% more (probably no longer true?) and have a more interesting varied job, but mainly because (apart from liking it here) I can afford to own a reasonable house here with a nice big yard. In the UK even working in a reponsible engineering position I still lived in a house shared with a bundh of others to make ends meet. There are many other things I like, but thats the biggie.

Im not sure I consider myself a philistine wimp, but dbd must as hes lived here longer than most posters here.
You've mentioned the rations and benefits thing before. I'm curious, as a professional engineer in UK surely you could earn a reasonable wodge? Ok, most of my en-jun-ear friends back home are in Automotive and most in management in one way or another and earn pretty well. I'd agree that your Canadian salary might allow a better lifestyle, certainly in terms of house, but you'd be in a pretty good situation in (y)uk surely?

Anyway, back to the OP's question. As I've stated before I'm here 'cos of the missus and cos I like the place. The ability to afford a house that even with a good wage in UK I could never have bought played a big part of that. Had the missus been from Alberta or BC then perhaps the move wouldn't have made quite so much sense.

I am certainly a phillistine and very probably a wimp although aside from AX Towers and a big screen TV I have fewer toys (as yet) than in UK where at least I had a boat. This is of course a state I hope to change as I really do need an ATV and plow to keep the drive clear in the winter!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Its far simpler in Canada for sure
Possibly not the tax system! That looks quite a challenge.

But seriously, the benefits system is so complicated here, it just doesn't work well for the vulnerable and it can be abused easily.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:58 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I met one of those crazy Canadian girls. She said move to Canada or I'll beat you. Having moved to Canada, she still beats me.

Seriously though, I never considered moving to Canada before i met my girlfriend, but I have to say it was the best decision I ever made.

Although I here voices at night whispering in my ear, they say "where's my engagement ring". Any one else had this phenomena? Crazy.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by yonk
Possibly not the tax system! That looks quite a challenge.

But seriously, the benefits system is so complicated here, it just doesn't work well for the vulnerable and it can be abused easily.
No, I meant in canada only the wealthy have the easy life.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andrewrb143

Although I here voices at night whispering in my ear, they say "where's my engagement ring". Any one else had this phenomena? Crazy.
I hear that all the time, don't worry about it. Ignore it, and it will go away. For a few weeks.

Want to go for a pint?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:08 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
I hear that all the time, don't worry about it. Ignore it, and it will go away. For a few weeks.

Want to go for a pint?
Good plan. I find drinking 10 pints before bed makes it go away. I tell the voices that since I'm having to give all my money to Steven Harper for my PR, it'll have to wait. He needs all the immigration money so he can have his sexy parties in Ottawa. And I can't begrudge the man that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.