Old Jun 12th 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

goatee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mosquitoes in saskatchewan ???

what time of year ?

what time of day ?

and where ?

is it just near water or everywhere ?

How back, can you sit in your garden in the evening.

cheers

Goatee:scared:
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:15 am
Just Joined

LNofTROY is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I do not know for Saskatchewan specifically but... Well, usually, moskitoes time are the worst during hot and humid period, usually: june, july or august, it depends on the type of summer we are having.
No matter where you sit in your garden at night, when its moskitoes time, they are there, period. And not only near water (but its true, it is worst near a lake). However, there is tons of moskitoes repellant 'tools' you can buy. A good old camp fire sometimes does the trick, but when its already over 30C, last thing you want its to sit next to that!
Check any hardware and garden stores, they should have some 'stuff' to help. There is a type of 'encent' that looks like the weel of a stove that you lite up and kept the bugs away.
Honestly, the best is still a gazebo with a net around it...
Sorry, that is one of the bad side of Canada: the moskitoes!
LN
Old Jun 13th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

The mosquitoes are already here in Nova Scotia and sometimes you cannot even sit outside. Last weekend I think I had around fourteen bites, six of which were really swollen and hurt!!

these bugs are driving me mad, no one told us about these!!!!!!

I can't really use Deet though as I am pregnant, but my husband slathers himself liberally in it and still gets bitten.

You need a nice breeze to blow them away.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a lot of rain this year in June. So far I havent noticed the mosquitos. Mostly dawn and dusk are the worst times of day. Lots of people have those net gazebos. They are great. We had one - the only problem we had was a golden retriever. She is terrible for "digging" into things - when we were in the gazebo and she was outside she tried to get in and ripped the netting. She is older now and probably if we had her inside with us it would be fine. You can even get netting that goes over the pole of your sun umbrella - of course they are only as big around as the sun umbrella but they work.

My suggestion is - get a gazebo. You can plaster yourself with Deep Woods Off with DEET, but all in all a gazebo solves the problem. If you are gardening then use the spray, but sitting down use the gazebo.