Mortgages

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages

Originally Posted by Alan2005
But that is contradicts the requirement to be able to afford the repayments for five years. How can you demonstrate your ability to do this without an income?
As I understand it the new requirement is that you must qualify for a five year closed mortgage. If you put more than 35% down then you don't need to prove income cover to qualify.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But that is contradicts the requirement to be able to afford the repayments for five years. How can you demonstrate your ability to do this without an income?
Excellent question. Although I was pre-approved for, and obtained a mortgage on the strength of a written offer of employment even before my PR was approved and before I was resident in Canada.

This was some time ago.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As I understand it the new requirement is that you must qualify for a five year closed mortgage. If you put more than 35% down then you don't need to prove income cover to qualify.
So the rules say you need to qualify? As these qualification rules which seem to be purely down to the individual bank I'm now at a loss as to what these new regulations are actually for.

I could understand it if they said you must be able to demonstrate the ability to pay the mortgage for five years at some fixed rate OR put 35% down - but I'm not sure that is what they say. Happy to be wrong here though.

(In Vancouver I suspect if people want a nice house in a nice area they'll be having to put a damn site more than 35% down if they want a mortgage much less than $500k)
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Excellent question. Although I was pre-approved for, and obtained a mortgage on the strength of a written offer of employment even before my PR was approved and before I was resident in Canada.

This was some time ago.
I'm going to assume that was pre-credit crunch
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

So the rules say you need to qualify? As these qualification rules which seem to be purely down to the individual bank I'm now at a loss as to what these new regulations are actually for.
You mean a politician announces a policy that sounds great but actually means very little?

Surely not!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You mean a politician announces a policy that sounds great but actually means very little?

Surely not!
Point taken...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to assume that was pre-credit crunch
It was indeed between credit crunches.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:19 pm
J.T
Just Joined

J.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It was indeed between credit crunches.
I occasionally hire employees from the UK. The most recent one arrived last week and had obtained a pre-approved mortgage a month before arriving based on just a letter verifying employment and a plan to put 10% down. I believe it was with First National bank.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I have just switched my mortgage to ING direct, it has to be the one of the lowest interest rates in Canada right now.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

if you are a perminant recident you have to put 5% deposit, we just bought ours in August had to put 10% deposit and you have to show that you dont have to pay deposit back ie a loan, only took 2 weeks and we moved in relator was very nice. bad thing is the exchange rate at the moment but houses are going up quick here in alberta ours has gone up $22,000 since August.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Hi - have sent you a PM but ditto what MB-Realtor said x100!