Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

More 4 X 4 stuff

More 4 X 4 stuff

Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More 4 X 4 stuff

Originally Posted by rae
like both of these, but, shogun only 1 star in 5, in the mags over here, think the leaf springs from truck set up let it down, terrano getting on a bit and slated for this and cost of ownership. can't comment on either as no first hand or friends experience, but certainly remember when the nissan first came out no one rated it, especially the god that is clarkson. no further on eh
Much as I love Top Gear and Clarkson should be the P.M., they do not operate in the real world most of the time. They love the X5 and the XC 90, wouldn't we all but we would have to pay for them!
They also LOVE the new Disco and Range Rover, both of them very expensive and neither of them will ever be on the road as their reliability is so cr#p. Meanwhile in the real world the Terrano goes on forever, is comfy, has decent off road ability and is very reliable. The Shogun has dated running gear but not by N American standards
and is comfy etc etc.... I know people who have these vehicles and have had them for many years and they all hold onto them as they are so easy to live with.
If you have a decent brass-neck, get round to the local Mitsubishi dealer, they have got brilliant offers on at the mo, and blag yourself a test drive or 2 in the Shogun and the Sport, I think you will be amazed how good they are and then check out the used prices on the Canadian Auto Trader site for the area you are going to. They don't give a 5 year warranty for nothing. The Nissan if definitely more agricultural but every bit as good as some I have driven during Canadian visits (I always go on a garage tour) and amazing value.
Stuarty
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Near the barn I often see a 1975 Unimog. By the back winch it has a sign "Attach Stuck Hummer Here". That's the ultimate winter/off road truck; you don't even need a license plate for it because legally it's a tractor.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Is it though? Our Kia came with 5yrs/100,000km warranty. I thought that was reasonable for here but I was a bit annoyed when I saw that if we'd bought in the US it'd have been 10yr/100,000miles.

100,000km=62,000miles so we're very little better off from UK to Canada.

Originally Posted by Hudman
The 5 years on the warranty is good, Canadians seemed to have been caught with their pants down in regard to warranty, most of the world seems to get 60k miles that includes UK.
60k kilometers is F all with the amount you end up driving here.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:29 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The buy out on her current top of the line one, two years old, is $19k+change, so an Escape for 20 new doesn't have many options.
mmm.. dodgy car ad's what a suprise. take it there is a 3yr warranty
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:32 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
AFAIK its not "real" AWD. Its a suplimental system that helps out once you start to lose traction by shifting torque around. Its will be OK for a bit more security and traction on road in the winter, but dont plan doing the rubicon trail. The Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 offers much the same, but with better resale value and probably fewer trips for warranty repairs.

If I was in the market for something like that, i would give serious consideration to the Subaru Forester too. But Im a great fan of Subarus as cars for the colder parts of Canada in general.

So are these people
sorry mate, enlighten me, AFAIK?
aware of the AWD system and 'appy with that, and would love a forester, but expensive servicing reports puts me off, or is this a myth?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:40 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Much as I love Top Gear and Clarkson should be the P.M., they do not operate in the real world most of the time. They love the X5 and the XC 90, wouldn't we all but we would have to pay for them!
They also LOVE the new Disco and Range Rover, both of them very expensive and neither of them will ever be on the road as their reliability is so cr#p. Meanwhile in the real world the Terrano goes on forever, is comfy, has decent off road ability and is very reliable. The Shogun has dated running gear but not by N American standards
and is comfy etc etc.... I know people who have these vehicles and have had them for many years and they all hold onto them as they are so easy to live with.
If you have a decent brass-neck, get round to the local Mitsubishi dealer, they have got brilliant offers on at the mo, and blag yourself a test drive or 2 in the Shogun and the Sport, I think you will be amazed how good they are and then check out the used prices on the Canadian Auto Trader site for the area you are going to. They don't give a 5 year warranty for nothing. The Nissan if definitely more agricultural but every bit as good as some I have driven during Canadian visits (I always go on a garage tour) and amazing value.
Stuarty
yes, quite, they hate the x5 as most large 4x4, but you are right about the xc90, i'm so sad i subscribe to the mag, tinternet and tv show.
and i do find it annoying that they love the landrovers even though they come bottom on all the surveys, a wannabee car methinks.
unfortunately the ratings i mentioned were from what car and car magazines, though i bow to people with first hand knowledge as i seriously distrust any journalist.
that said I'd be quite happy with the shogun from what i have seen and you have said despite the reports, better to be used as a guide than gospel. and I've a neck like a brass giraffe mate, 4hrs haggle last Alfa i bought.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:43 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Near the barn I often see a 1975 Unimog. By the back winch it has a sign "Attach Stuck Hummer Here". That's the ultimate winter/off road truck; you don't even need a license plate for it because legally it's a tractor.
yeah now we are talking, can you attach some dead animals to the front and a rifle rack behind the drivers seat, next to the banjo and red check shirt......oh i'm a lumberjack and i'm ok....
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:49 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
sorry mate, enlighten me, AFAIK?
aware of the AWD system and 'appy with that, and would love a forester, but expensive servicing reports puts me off, or is this a myth?
As Far As I Know

My Sube is not that expensive to service. In fact dealer servicing for a recent strut replacement was cheaper than going to an aftermarket place like Midas or Jiffy Lube. Regular oil change is about $40. The main selling point outside of handling and weather capability is that reliability is excelent, mine is 10 years old now, and has had no major failures outside of warranty. Id buy another in a heartbeat. Go test drive them before you make your mind up. Chalk and Cheese.

My Boss recons his Forester XT is a serious Q car, its a sports car in disguise with fantastic all weather capability and enough room to bring stuff home from the home depot or take the dog to the vet in a hurry.

I used to own (well, lease) a new jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket. They werent kidding!

Last edited by iaink; Aug 29th 2006 at 4:52 am.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:59 am
rae
Settled.

As Far As I Know

My Sube is not that expensive to service. In fact dealer servicing for a recent strut replacement was cheaper than going to an aftermarket place like Midas or Jiffy Lube. Regular oil change is about $40. The main selling point outside of handling and weather capability is that reliability is excelent, mine is 10 years old now, and has had no major failures outside of warranty. Id buy another in a heartbeat. Go test drive them before you make your mind up. Chalk and Cheese.

My Boss recons his Forester XT is a serious Q car, its a sports car in disguise with fantastic all weather capability and enough room to bring stuff home from the home depot or take the dog to the vet in a hurry.

I used to own (well, lease) a new jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket. They werent kidding!
thanks. i saw that JEEP acronym on a previous post of yours and its one i'm not going to forget. i'd love the XT for the toys as well, only one with standard sat nav isn't it, just the pennies, exchange rate good, recent drop in house price to sell, not good. have to wait and see.
about to get loads of stick from mrs g as i am contributing more here than looking at all the secondary stuff, like bank accounts, schools, houses, y'know, girly stuff you can manage without.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:20 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
thanks. i saw that JEEP acronym on a previous post of yours and its one i'm not going to forget. i'd love the XT for the toys as well, only one with standard sat nav isn't it,
I dont think sat nav is an option, but frankly who needs it day to day anyway, and if you do you can buy a stand alone system for less than the OEM option ones anyway, and if you have to fly somewhere, your rental will have it then too.

No, the XT has the detuned STi turbo engine with some serious ponies.

I wouldnt buy new now anyway. Depreciation is a bitch, so someone else can deal with that for me first.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rae sounds like we both have to use those brass necks and get some test-drives. Had a test drive in the Scoobie STi about a year ago and it was fantastic fun but not too practical. Any other Subaru basewd on that engine would be excellent so I will go and get a shot in the Forrester & Outlander.
If you want some fun, get a testdrive in the Nissan 350Z, unbelievable fun especially when the Porsche garage won't let me play.
Stuarty
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:14 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

And you have owned how many Ford or GM vehicles here?
None, why would I drive such a heap, I'm neither a contractor nor a penny wise entrepreneur.

I see what I see, read what's said about such products and make my call based on what works for me.

Rich.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 7:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
mmm.. dodgy car ad's what a suprise. take it there is a 3yr warranty
I believe it's five years, 100,000 miles, on the powertrain.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 7:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by rae
yeah now we are talking, can you attach some dead animals to the front and a rifle rack behind the drivers seat, next to the banjo and red check shirt......oh i'm a lumberjack and i'm ok....
I did all that in the Mustang. And in the Element the OH does all that while wearing comfortable shoes.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:10 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi Rae sounds like we both have to use those brass necks and get some test-drives. Had a test drive in the Scoobie STi about a year ago and it was fantastic fun but not too practical. Any other Subaru basewd on that engine would be excellent so I will go and get a shot in the Forrester & Outlander.
If you want some fun, get a testdrive in the Nissan 350Z, unbelievable fun especially when the Porsche garage won't let me play.
Stuarty
are you trying to depress me, knowing i've only got a truck to drive now for the near future, don't see what all the fuss is about myself. looking forward to being able to purchase a '73 alfa spider just for july.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.