Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

More 4 X 4 stuff

Wikiposts

More 4 X 4 stuff

Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:16 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More 4 X 4 stuff

Originally Posted by dbd33
I did all that in the Mustang. And in the Element the OH does all that while wearing comfortable shoes.
keep reading posts about the element, no duff, what's it like, gets the nod in the mags i've got, 80% satisfaction rating.
also, anyone any ideas on pontiac vibe AWD and toyota matrix AWD, ta.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
keep reading posts about the element, no duff, what's it like, gets the nod in the mags i've got, 80% satisfaction rating.
also, anyone any ideas on pontiac vibe AWD and toyota matrix AWD, ta.
IME:

It's ugly though I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder.

It's very practical as the interior is all washable and it has rubber floor mats, Honda says you can hose it out but that's stretching things slightly. It has all manner of storage bins and cubbyholes. The rear seats are fold down to make a bed (there's a sunroof so one can in bed and look at the stars) as well as up to the sides. The latter option provides a fair amount of space, enough for several bikes, but accentuates the already problematic blind spots. Removing the rear seats provides a huge space. The rear seats are high in the vehicle and would, I think, be bad for anyone prone to car sickness. The rear door is split horizontally and we've been able to fit two kayaks by leaving the rear window open and having them stick out, using the roof rack would be another option.

It has a good radio and powerful heat and air. The heater fan is very loud.

The traction (it has 4wd) is pretty good, I drove it through the manure pile in winter (frozen) and spring (very wet) and up a muddy 45 degree slope to the barn. It kept going though with much wheel spin. It's as good on mud as the Escape and better than the Mustang(!) It's very easy to park as it has a small turning circle and square corners. It doesn't have much go and the difference between carrying dog and child, 70lbs and 8st respectively, and not carrying them is noticeable on hills. It's surprisingly good in crosswinds, not like a Sidekick or Dodge Caravan which will lunge for the ditch.

It's cheap to buy except that everything is a option. There are all manner of pieces to improve the interior, nets, camping tables and so on, all priced separately so one must be careful about the total bill.

otoh, it's not very well built, it uses a lot of windshields (better than one per year) which I think is due to the body flexing causing them to crack across; they break the same way each time. The gas line keeps falling off the tank causing petrol to drip into the road. It has a big square front which contributes to the astonishing gas consumption (the last two tanks took us 173 and 190 miles respectively) so, all in all, it's not cheap to run. The paint quality isn't very good, we have horse teeth marks on the bonnet, like deep scratches, and the paint is flaking off around them, something I wouldn't expect from the Fords I usually drive.

I personally hate it but have tried to be objective.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should say that we do actually use the Element outside the burbs. I wouldn't take it off road but the kind of mountain track seen here is no problem even when wet. We reversed up the dirt slope to the back of the house.
Attached Thumbnails More 4 X 4 stuff-108_0850.jpg   More 4 X 4 stuff-108_0839.jpg  
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:37 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Your country cottage needs renos old boy.

Rich.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:31 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Your country cottage needs renos old boy.

Rich.
Is that what is known as a walkout basement?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:08 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a F350 today with a sticker on the windscreen saying "Hippies Suck"
Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:05 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
Saw a F350 today with a sticker on the windscreen saying "Hippies Suck"
White plate, red writing, shotgun in back, chewing baccy spat outta window, Oilers flag tied to aerial with rubber band, be-stubbled mullet dude, cowboy hat, snakeskin cowboy boots, God-botherer stickers on truck ?

Yeah, 'Bertans innit boy.

Rich.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

White plate, red writing, shotgun in back, chewing baccy spat outta window, Oilers flag tied to aerial with rubber band, be-stubbled mullet dude, cowboy hat, snakeskin cowboy boots, God-botherer stickers on truck ?

Yeah, 'Bertans innit boy.

Rich.
Hi Rich, just as well I am going to 'Berta' as the missis has just given me the green light to get my truck
GM Colorado looks favourite at the moment but bigger will be possible depending on getting a good used one.
Hee hee hee, wore her down at last
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:33 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi Rich, just as well I am going to 'Berta' as the missis has just given me the green light to get my truck
GM Colorado looks favourite at the moment but bigger will be possible depending on getting a good used one.
Don't forget cow skull on front grille, wicked ride dude
Y'aint a real man til you have an F-350 of your own.

Rich.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget cow skull on front grille, wicked ride dude
Y'aint a real man til you have an F-350 of your own.

Rich.
Stuarty,

For an F-350 you need a buffalo (bison) skull, I know where you can get one of those.

The guy is a Scot too so he might give you a deal.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Stuarty,

For an F-350 you need a buffalo (bison) skull, I know where you can get one of those.

The guy is a Scot too so he might give you a deal.
You never know guys, if I can qualify for some credit there are some serious offers available and that Leasebusters site is attractive, mmmmm Hemi
Yee Haarrr
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:47 am
Lotus-eater

Here's the essential clothing to match ya truck.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails More 4 X 4 stuff-bubbacap3.jpg   More 4 X 4 stuff-tank_dungarees.jpg  
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Here's the essential clothing to match ya truck.

Rich.
Why do the flies stop so high?!!!!!
Are there really any insides in those pockets
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:00 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Why do the flies stop so high?!!!!!
Are there really any insides in those pockets
I'd be worried - he's waiting to ride shotgun in yo big ass truck, and he has itchy fingers too, six on each hand, but no thumbs.

Yikes, those darned country folk. :scared:

Rich.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd be worried - he's waiting to ride shotgun in yo big ass truck, and he has itchy fingers too, six on each hand, but no thumbs.

Yikes, those darned country folk. :scared:

Rich.
He must be a gynaecologist.
Squeal like a piggy boy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.