Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

More 4 X 4 stuff

More 4 X 4 stuff

Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More 4 X 4 stuff

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Ford/GM = double crap, super size portion.
$'s speak louder than blingy advertising gimmicks.

Rich.
And you have owned how many Ford or GM vehicles here?

You are right, money talks, bullshit walks. And what trucks do the vast majority of contractors and other business buy when they have to look at the bottom line?
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
FWIW I lease Escapes for the "ex". She does about 20,000 miles a year of suburban pottering and nothing goes wrong with them within the three years of the lease. I think a 4x4 is a bit excessive for Ontario but her lawyer wanted her to have "an SUV not more than three years old with leather seats" and the Escapes are cheap.
i like this, worried about posts I've read about the state of ford, can't be that bad though can it? definitely like the price, saw brand new ones recently for $20k with all the bits, outrageous, but think this was the FWD, which they neglected to mention in their 4x4 ad! also not supposed to be to clever in snow, slated for poor traction in mags i've picked up and ont'net
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Thanks Bleech, the way house prices are going in Alberta I had better find either a home built vehicle or a much older Import as the cash pot is dwindling and we haven't even landed yet.
Stop paying big bucks for houses Albertans and give us a chance
Rae, have you checked out used prices on the Mitsubishi Endeavor (Shogun Sport) and the Nissan Xterra (Nissan Terrano) they prices seem great and you seem to get lots of SUV for your bucks. The Mitsubishi has a 5 year warranty so there should be lots left on it.
Truck wise the GM Canyon looks like a good bet used.
Who knows, the exchange rate might rocket back up to $2.45 again and we can get lots more
Stuarty
The 5 years on the warranty is good, Canadians seemed to have been caught with their pants down in regard to warranty, most of the world seems to get 60k miles that includes UK.
60k kilometers is F all with the amount you end up driving here.
The used foreign SUV is a good bet. You should get good prices on used Nissans as they bought newer editions out quite recently
Dodge/Jeeps fuel efficiency is the worst out of all the trucks I've driven, and do not believe the figures the dealers will give you, thats why they are always offering continual discounts.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
Umm yeah, doesn't make sense does it.
The ad says:-
"Was $54,270 less employee discount $47,720. $0 Down only 24 months $599/mo (4)" I look at the bottom of the page and it says "(4)Total Price = $14,376" WTF?!? Unless you've got some sort of balloon payment at the end of the 24 months? Or like you say it's a lease

At the end of the lease you either walk away.....pay the very large amount left and then you own the vehicle or take out another lease.

You also have to be careful with mileage, you are restricted, although you set the mileage allowed before you sign.

Linda
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:03 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P
At the end of the lease you either walk away.....pay the very large amount left and then you own the vehicle or take out another lease.

You also have to be careful with mileage, you are restricted, although you set the mileage allowed before you sign.

Linda
Aye, and you wont want to be taking it off road and scratching it up if you are leasing, unless you have very deep pockets!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:06 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Aye, and you wont want to be taking it off road and scratching it up if you are leasing, unless you have very deep pockets!
And what's the point of having a 4x4 which never goes offroad?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Getting around in the deep snow, when you would be better off holed up at home till it passes anyway? I dunno, ask the 95% of SUV owners who never leave the blacktop...unless its to park on the grass at IKEA when the lot is full

That was my point though, if you are going to take it off road, and dont plan to keep it at lease end, then dont lease, buy an older one you can afford to buy outright and dont worry about the dings.

Really though if you are going off road something like a TJ designed for the job is better than a leather clad behamoth SUV

Last edited by iaink; Aug 29th 2006 at 3:10 am.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:13 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

And you have owned how many Ford or GM vehicles here?

You are right, money talks, bullshit walks. And what trucks do the vast majority of contractors and other business buy when they have to look at the bottom line?
any thoughts on the escape AWD ian
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by rae
any thoughts on the escape AWD ian
AFAIK its not "real" AWD. Its a suplimental system that helps out once you start to lose traction by shifting torque around. Its will be OK for a bit more security and traction on road in the winter, but dont plan doing the rubicon trail. The Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 offers much the same, but with better resale value and probably fewer trips for warranty repairs.

If I was in the market for something like that, i would give serious consideration to the Subaru Forester too. But Im a great fan of Subarus as cars for the colder parts of Canada in general.

So are these people

Last edited by iaink; Aug 29th 2006 at 3:19 am.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:18 am

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Really though if you are going off road something like a TJ designed for the job is better than a leather clad behamoth SUV
The TJs are fun. Went offroading in my neighbours a few weeks ago, no roof either.
Don't think it's anymore fun than my behemoth though and it struggled getting up some near vertical climbs that my truck flew up. Having said that though I did have to get pulled out of a ditch by a H1 I put it down to my inexperience though as the nearest I've come to offroading before was parking on the beach at Weston Super Mare
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

it struggled getting up some near vertical climbs that my truck flew up.
Ah, but was it a boggers TJ, or one on steroids designed for the job?
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:25 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Cos.....

..the roads around here are crap
..we get lots of snow
..I find climbing 'up' into a car easier than 'down' being a geratric 38yr old with a bad back
..Cars are boring. North American cars even more so.
..I can!

Mind you I have taken my Jeep offroad so mebbe I have a justification anyway.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:27 am

Ah, but was it a boggers TJ, or one on steroids designed for the job?
Not so much steroids, more like protein and creatine Big wheels and uprated suspension, but plans to turn it into a monster truck next year!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Cos.....

..the roads around here are crap
..we get lots of snow
..I find climbing 'up' into a car easier than 'down' being a geratric 38yr old with a bad back
..Cars are boring. North American cars even more so.
..I can!

Mind you I have taken my Jeep offroad so mebbe I have a justification anyway.
..and they're better for picking up a drive through
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i like this, worried about posts I've read about the state of ford, can't be that bad though can it? definitely like the price, saw brand new ones recently for $20k with all the bits, outrageous, but think this was the FWD, which they neglected to mention in their 4x4 ad! also not supposed to be to clever in snow, slated for poor traction in mags i've picked up and ont'net

The buy out on her current top of the line one, two years old, is $19k+change, so an Escape for 20 new doesn't have many options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.