Reload this Page >

Mobile / cell phones

Mobile / cell phones

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

pebrown444 is on a distinguished road
Question Mobile / cell phones

Quick question,

When I come over on my fact finding tour in May me and the missus will have our mobiles with us (cells for our american viewers) , they are both quad band so we should be OK. If we want to call the UK I believe you just phone 010 44 then leave the 0 off the code but what about if we want to call each other? Do I need to call back to the UK phone service as if she was still here then let it find her spending all our money in the Eaton centre in Toronto or is there a way of calling internal to Canada.

Cheers

Pete
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile / cell phones

Originally Posted by pebrown444
Quick question,

When I come over on my fact finding tour in May me and the missus will have our mobiles with us (cells for our american viewers) , they are both quad band so we should be OK. If we want to call the UK I believe you just phone 010 44 then leave the 0 off the code but what about if we want to call each other? Do I need to call back to the UK phone service as if she was still here then let it find her spending all our money in the Eaton centre in Toronto or is there a way of calling internal to Canada.

Cheers

Pete
Hi Pete

Last year when were in Alberta we could call each other but had to pay for international calls between the pair of us - which runs out pretty expensive.

Trying to call to Canadian cells was also really hard work - nobody could contact us from Ca cell to our UK mobile. Not very good if you have an emergency like we did.

What about getting two Virigin PAYG phones - work out pretty cheap and you could always use them when you go back to Canada

Gay
x
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pebrown444
Quick question,

Cheers

Pete
The UK code is 0044 and yes you leave off the zero from the code.

Calling the UK from a mobile will i imagine be very expensive and also if people call you you still pay for some of the call as you will be "roaming"

I took mine over to B.C and had no problems sending and receiving texts to/from UK but did not make any calls. I did receive one call from a business colleague but no idea what it may have cost as my company pay the bills.

If you don't want to let the OH spend all your money in the Eaton centre don't let her out on her own.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
The UK code is 0044 and yes you leave off the zero from the code.

Calling the UK from a mobile will i imagine be very expensive and also if people call you you still pay for some of the call as you will be "roaming"

I took mine over to B.C and had no problems sending and receiving texts to/from UK but did not make any calls. I did receive one call from a business colleague but no idea what it may have cost as my company pay the bills.

If you don't want to let the OH spend all your money in the Eaton centre don't let her out on her own.
To call England it's 011-44-1-area-number. For example, my parent's house in the Costa Geriatrica from Toronto is 011-44-1-424-nnnnnn.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
To call England it's 011-44-1-area-number. For example, my parent's house in the Costa Geriatrica from Toronto is 011-44-1-424-nnnnnn.
Why is it 011?

The international code for UK is 0044 or +44
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it 011?

The "get me out of Canada" code is 011.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
The "get me out of Canada" code is 011.
Not from a mobile though.

I was sending texts to my sister using standard pre programmed +44 number and hit dial by mistake and next thing i know she answers the phone, needless to say i cut it short to avoid a big bill.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:50 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I was sending texts to my sister using standard pre programmed +44 number and hit dial by mistake and next thing i know she answers the phone, needless to say i cut it short to avoid a big bill.
If you're doing it from a mobile and have it programmed in as +44, the mobile knows that it's an international number and knows what country you're in so the mobile and network figure it out themselves. If it wasn't pre-programmed you'd need to dial it completely or use the +.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I only have a mobile and that's what I dial. It may be that your phone is clever enough to prefix the code in the phone with the rest of it or maybe the 011 is optional.

On edit: what he said.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I programmed mine with +44, and that's what I use to send texts - all is well. But when I receive a text, it shows "+01144". Yep, plus *and* 011. And that works fine to hit "reply" to too.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a Rogers pay-as-you-go SIM card when I was in Vancouver back in Nov 06. If memory serves, the initial cost was around C$25 for the card. The shop also tried to get a $30 activation cost (read "commission") out of me but I refused and activated it myself.

Calling credit of a minimum $10 is extra on top of that and lasted a maximum of one month but I believe the card will remain activated for 9 months. At least that's what Rogers website tells me. Sending SMS to UK works fine at $0.20 a go. Calls to UK are $0.75/min.

Will be heading back at some point but maybe the card will expire before then so if someone wants to borrow it (and keep it active) for a few weeks for a deposit then no problem. It currently has a 604 Vancouver number but this is changeable on the website. Unfortunately the card doesn't roam except in the US.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it 011?

US/Canada use 011 to dial out directly (IDD) of North america whereas the rest of the world uses 00.... why? because the '0' is traditionally used in NA for accessing the operator, '1' is used for dialling long-distance and international (but not overseas).

Thus the international code for the UK is +44, not 00 44. The first two digits are entirely of the country you are dialing out of's choice.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

leeandjude is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was over there for the summer 06, i just got a Virgin PAYG sim and used that, i worked out a lot cheaper for calling friends in Canada, as well as texting back home. For the whole month i think it cost me about 30%C.