Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi from a 'real" Canuck :-)

Hi from a 'real" Canuck :-)

Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of
Default Hi from a 'real" Canuck :-)

I happened upon this forum and find it very interesting. I am a Canadian by birth and have lived here most of my life. I am a very proud Canadian but with a anglophile side to me as well. I am fascinated to read everyone's experiences and perspectives on Canada. Gives me an appreciation for all this great country has to offer and also son osme of the drawbacks.
I live on the west coast-In Victoria. I am afraid we are NOT real Canadians outhere. We panic at the mention of snow and cold is anything under 10deg. C
I did live near Cranbrook in the Kootenays for 10 years so do know all about the cold white stuff.

I am passionate about athletics (track and field) and as it is not a very popular sport here I have taken to follow many British and European athletes. I have many British friends who are as crazy about the sport as I am. I just got back from a week in the UK in fact and had a great time. I often wonder when I am over there whether I would like to move there. One of the things I envy is how close you are to so many different countries-in 2 hours you can be in Greece. My British friends who have not been to Canada (and that is most of them!) have no idea just how huge this country is. They will whinge about a long drive of 100 miles! Mind you the roads are definitely more congested so 100 miles can feel like a long way!

I love British books, movies, humour, magazines......but then when I get on that plane home, land in Vancouver, and see the maple leaf and the "Welcome to Canada "sign I know I really can't live anywhere else-my heart belongs to this place.
Anyway I hope you don't mind a native posting-as I said I really love reading about everyone's experiences. it seems most of you love this country and are glad you made the HUGE decision to move here.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a 'real" Canuck :-)

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sure that guys moving out your way will be picking your local knowledge from time to time.

I lived in Victoria for a while in '79 back in the days when it really snowed in winter. We were in a trailer park near Beaver lake, though when we visit now days we stay with friends up near Sidney.

Robin
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Canuckgirl,

Welcome to the boards - i'm sure you'll prove to be a wealth of information being the real Macoy

Arris
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:47 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Wow - it's great to get a Canadian perspective. Funnily enough even though I'm British I already have an affection for the Canadian flag - this is our home now after all.

I didn't realise that athletics was not that well supported - I suppose with all the other major sports it has to fight for its place like all the others. UK athletics has had some golden years.

Welcome
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Arris
Hi Canuckgirl,

Welcome to the boards - i'm sure you'll prove to be a wealth of information being the real Macoy

Arris
Thanks for the welcome.
I don't watch hockey (except when the Olympics are on when I become a screaming idiot) and I don't like cold weather or beer.
Don't know how real I am after all but I am a McCoy.
MCrocker- Canada has had some great track athletes (and some infamous ones too) but the sport is nowhere near as poular here as it is in Europe.
I was just at the European Indoor Champs in Brum- I am an honary Brit at this meet. Britain did very well.

Saw Seb Coe in the crowd as well.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I stumbled onto this forum too and also find it very interesting. And also am born and raised Canadian and lived here all my life.

Good to "meet" you.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

AS you can see by my screen name ( Canadian Citizen) I too am a native son.

I live in Toronto now , my birth place, but I've lived in ALL of the Provinces and Territories in Canada, during my 30 year career in the Canadian Armed Forces, so I can comment , based on personal experience, about most places in the "second largest country in the world ". <grin>.

I'm not a Immigration Lawyer, so I'l stay away from that area of knowledge, BUT I can talk about " life in Canada" and fine information that may be helpfull to individuals, thru the Internet websites.

Most of the cities, towns and villages in Canada heve information websites, that contain accurate and up to the minute information, along with phone numbers and e-mail addresses, that you can use to ASK QUESTIONS. In my experience, for some strange reason, British people are afraid to ASK for help, and in many cases, and it winds up costing them time and money, in the end.

Canada has been welcoming "newcomers " for over 400 years, so you are not the first to arrive here, and you will surely not be the last , either. My ancestors came here, from Ireland, in 1801, so we are " old Canadians " not new comers. Despite what some will try to tell you, this country was once a wilderness, way back then , and those "pioneers " realy did build a modern nation out what were virgin forests and rocks and lakes, and mountains, too.

Cheers . Jim B . Toronto.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=canuckgirl;4540106]Thanks for the welcome.
I don't watch hockey (except when the Olympics are on when I become a screaming idiot) and I don't like cold weather or beer.

Welcome to the forum cg. Im a canadian by birth as well and live on the west coast of canada. I know the feeling about see the maple leaf. When I was flying over vancouver island from my trip to the UK and Ireland this past spring, I burst out in tears as well, I was so dog gone happy to be home.....!

Forget the regular hockey games and the olympics. Watch the world hockey championships, both the mens but especially the womens. Now thats real hockey (seriously)! Coming very soon to your area of the world.

Last edited by willmore; Mar 25th 2007 at 1:05 am.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=willmore;4557574]
Originally Posted by canuckgirl
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the forum cg. Im a canadian by birth as well and live on the west coast of canada. I know the feeling about see the maple leaf. When I was flying over vancouver island from my trip to the UK and Ireland this past spring, I burst out in tears as well, I was so dog gone happy to be home.....!

Forget the regular hockey games and the olympics. Watch the world hockey championships, both the mens but especially the womens. Now thats real hockey (seriously)! Coming very soon to your area of the world.
I believe we live in the same beautiful city.

I never miss the World Champs- men's , women and juniors. Love it. I get up at four in the morning to watch if need be.
Glad to know I am not the only one who gets emotional upon arriving back in these great country.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=canuckgirl;4557656]
Originally Posted by willmore

I believe we live in the same beautiful city.

I never miss the World Champs- men's , women and juniors. Love it. I get up at four in the morning to watch if need be.
Glad to know I am not the only one who gets emotional upon arriving back in these great country.
I didnt even notice that you were from the island. Hope you enjoy living here as much as we do!

Here is the schedule for the games. Come and cheer the girls on......

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?fid=10157

Here's the schedule for the men!
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/fe...=9753&hubname=

Im so excited that there's another person excited in the world hockey games. Im so excited about next week.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't hard much about the men's team this year. Any good players signed up?

If Canada makes the gold medal round (and it will!) we should meet at a pub and watch the game together......just an idea.

I live in the South Jubilee area by the way-very handy to everything.

The women's team should win quite handily eh? I will go out on a limb and predict a US-Canada final.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I haven't hard much about the men's team this year. Any good players signed up?

If Canada makes the gold medal round (and it will!) we should meet at a pub and watch the game together......just an idea.

I live in the South Jubilee area by the way-very handy to everything.

The women's team should win quite handily eh? I will go out on a limb and predict a US-Canada final.

We live in the fairfield area.

Oh yes, there is little doubt! I think its going to be Canada, and a european country; either czech republic, russia or sweden.

Dont worry, souv has promised to keep us updated....!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

As I said I don't know much about the strength of this year's team but of course we can send just about anyone and make the finals...right? right?

Just kidding hockey gods.

I always enjoy a Canada-USA final.

I know it will be next to impossible but I would give almost anything to get a ticket to the Olympic hockey finals in Vancouver in 2010. Can you imagine what the tickets will go for if Canada is in the gold medal game?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I said I don't know much about the strength of this year's team but of course we can send just about anyone and make the finals...right? right?

Just kidding hockey gods.

I always enjoy a Canada-USA final.

I know it will be next to impossible but I would give almost anything to get a ticket to the Olympic hockey finals in Vancouver in 2010. Can you imagine what the tickets will go for if Canada is in the gold medal game?

Well if the ladies are as good as they were last year, they is no doubt we will win. It was almost pathetic watching the other teams trying to play against them.

The men however, are a bunch of lazy, good for nothing, give me any excuse of why I played badly group of guys!

I liked to see the men play the czech republic and actually win this year. They played very very badly last year.

Anyway hon, must run. Catch up with you later.