Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Misconception on cost of living

Misconception on cost of living

Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Misconception on cost of living

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Having been in BC coming up for a year, I have to say that one thing I was not prepared for is the cost of living. There are lots of posts on this forum saying that salaries are lower here, and cost of living is much lower, so your standard of living is overall better. This is certainly not my experience.

General overheads are very costly, and I fail to see how some people manage to make ends meet on the salaries quoted on this site. Don't be under any illusion that you can survive on half the salary you'd get in Britain, for example. Not in BC - it's not going to happen. The reality is that most jobs pay far lower than Britain, many at approximately half the rate.

The reason I mention this is that I was at a function recently, and speaking to a Brit who'd just arrived. He was going through the usual tired old banter about how wonderful it is here, and how everthing was so much cheaper than 'the UK', and of course so much better. This is not the case.

This does seem to be what people expect and having just arrived, they see the most obvious savings (e.g. petrol). But when you've been to the dentist a couple of times, and some utility bills start hitting the doormat, it does make me wonder how the hell Canadians afford to live here, let alone people who've emigrated from Britain.

What concerns me is that there's very few posts raising this issue. Probably because by the time people realise this, they're working their nuts off so damned hard to pay the bills, they don't have time to discuss on here. Many people regard this forum as fairly objective and I'd like to warn anyone who thinks this, to more thoroughly investigate the cost of living, and avert your ears to sweeping generalisations about how it's so much cheaper.

Moving half way across the world, to find that you cannot afford to stay, could set you back years, financially, and even make moving back to Britain an expense you cannot endure.

I glad to hear that someone found the cost of living much higher in Canada than back in Britain in based on income.

I left UK in 1997 to move to Calgary and found I left a 45K(pounds) income and had to settle for a 40k(dollar) salary. House seemed, cheap and so did petrol., but did not have income to cover costs. For the first 3 years ww had to cash-in savings and investments to supplement our income.

I found our ultility bill were 4X times in dollars and car insurance went from $250/yr to $3500/yr when were arrived in Calgary.

Yes we got the first shock on costs: a $700 dentist bill to repair a tooth.

It took me 6 years to get to my UK income and then were were reasonbly well off.

We moved back to the UK last Autumn (2005) and we estimated I will have to work an extra 5 years to cover our 8 years in Canada.

It has been a good experience for us and made my family more independant. Its been good for our 2 sons as they have experiences that most other kids would not have the chance to do.

It does not take long to realise that those dollars do not go as far as pounds when you are working in Canada. Also when all your savings have good its very hard to replace them on a lower income!

My advice to anyone who wants to move to Canada is that you need alot of extra money to cover your loss in income for several years and all the other expenses you will occur.

Also make sure your can get the income that can maintain the standard of living you want or used too.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OK here's a dissenting vote on this topic. Everyone seems preoccupied with comparing apple and oranges on this thread. I mean who cares if chicken or milk or whatever costs a bit more in Vancouver Island than Croyden? Nobody emmigrates to Canada for the chicken or for cheap insurance or cheese.

There also seems to be a predominant opinion that Canadian salaries are lower than the UK. Well that's not been my experience. Maybe I'm atypical in that in my job (academic research & education) I didn't lose any seniority when I left the UK, quite the opposite in fact. I know that my present salary is at least 50% higher than the UK equivalent and that there is no way that I could ever have afforded the life I have now if I'd stayed in Britain.

Moreover, I know that housing has gone crazy in some area, like Calgary but in the long term I at least have done fine with real estate. I live in the third house I've owned since first buying (in Canada) in 1985 and I have now paid off the mortgage on a 3/4 acre lot with a decent sized house in the best part of Richmond Hill. It's probably worth ~$650-700K today.

So, to all you prospective immigrants, don't just read these negative reports. Canada is a great place to live and thrive... get on over here and damn the price of chicken. Eat moose.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:32 pm
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Having been in BC coming up for a year, I have to say that one thing I was not prepared for is the cost of living. There are lots of posts on this forum saying that salaries are lower here, and cost of living is much lower, so your standard of living is overall better. This is certainly not my experience.

General overheads are very costly, and I fail to see how some people manage to make ends meet on the salaries quoted on this site. Don't be under any illusion that you can survive on half the salary you'd get in Britain, for example. Not in BC - it's not going to happen. The reality is that most jobs pay far lower than Britain, many at approximately half the rate.

The reason I mention this is that I was at a function recently, and speaking to a Brit who'd just arrived. He was going through the usual tired old banter about how wonderful it is here, and how everthing was so much cheaper than 'the UK', and of course so much better. This is not the case.

This does seem to be what people expect and having just arrived, they see the most obvious savings (e.g. petrol). But when you've been to the dentist a couple of times, and some utility bills start hitting the doormat, it does make me wonder how the hell Canadians afford to live here, let alone people who've emigrated from Britain.

What concerns me is that there's very few posts raising this issue. Probably because by the time people realise this, they're working their nuts off so damned hard to pay the bills, they don't have time to discuss on here. Many people regard this forum as fairly objective and I'd like to warn anyone who thinks this, to more thoroughly investigate the cost of living, and avert your ears to sweeping generalisations about how it's so much cheaper.

Moving half way across the world, to find that you cannot afford to stay, could set you back years, financially, and even make moving back to Britain an expense you cannot endure.
I have to take issue with this thread, you have chosen THE MOST EXPENSIVE place to live in all of Canada.
Where you live is comparable in UK price terms, to trying to live in Central London, if not Chelsea.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:39 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So, to all you prospective immigrants, don't just read these negative reports. Canada is a great place to live and thrive... get on over here and damn the price of chicken. Eat moose.

Agreed....but the point about this thread is that where Canada looks like good value for money when on a holiday here its not quite the same when you have a "canadian" salary in $cad.

Also agreed...a lot depends on where you live.

Also agreed that yes...rather live in Canada than UK for social, crime, education, the great oudoor lifestyle reasons.

But the point is.....be realastic about the cost of living when you do become a resident. I would never think about returning back to the Uk....but do find Canada more expensive despite doing 4 research trips here.

Also .. looks like your skills are highly sought after....I think the majority of immigrants are having to re-train and somewhat start again in their trades and profession.

I don't think this thread should deter people moving to Canada BUT they should be realistic about earnings potential and expenditure.

Rgds
Mans
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

Thanks for the idea, I'm so emotional right now I can't see the wood from the trees ikywim!

We are probably going to buy a couple of condos before we leave so maybe we could live in one for a year before hand - it's an option.

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Why would you do that? Would renting be cheaper than your mortagage payments?? You could sell your mansion and get a smaller place? Or why not wait til you want to come back to UK before selling up, otherwise you'll lose capital and possible profit by sellling earlier and "giving away" cash in rent.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
Thanks for the idea, I'm so emotional right now I can't see the wood from the trees ikywim!

We are probably going to buy a couple of condos before we leave so maybe we could live in one for a year before hand - it's an option.
Are you staying long enough to get citizenship? Be a shame not to be able to return later on if you wanted too.

As an aside, not living in the UK for 8+ years now its hard to be sure, but my feeling is that the cost of living is increasing MUCH faster in Canada, gas when I came was 34c / liter, property was much cheaper, food much cheaper than now. Hydro and heating oil especially are now major expenses.

Maybe (probably) Im just getting old and "things arent what they used to be", but things seem a lot more expensive here now than 8 years ago compared to what I read and hear about the UK, where with the exception of property things dont seem to have gone up as much.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 12th 2006 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:02 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

I'm now considering taking my own advise, selling my 'mansion' and renting for a year before going back to the UK with a nice amount of equity in my pocket[/QUOTE]

Whats your reason for returning? ..... cost of living or other?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Are you staying long enough to get citizenship? Be a shame not to be able to return later on if you wanted too.

As an aside, not living in the UK for 8+ years now its hard to be sure, but my feeling is that the cost of living is increasing MUCH faster in Canada, gas when I came was 34c / liter, property was much cheaper, food much cheaper than now. Hydro and heating oil especially are now major expenses.

Maybe (probably) Im just getting old and "things arent what they used to be", but things seem a lot more expensive here now than 8 years ago compared to what I read and hear about the UK, where with the exception of property things dont seem to have gone up as much.
Things like white goods, CDs, clothes are much cheaper here now than a few years ago.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:16 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yonk
Things like white goods, CDs, clothes are much cheaper here now than a few years ago.
HDTVs cost much less than half what they did only 2 years ago.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
Thats kind of what I thought. You get more for your money here in Canada too now in terms of "goods", but the actual cost of keeping a house and putting food on the table after those initial and occasional outlays seems to take a larger part of my take home pay now than it did before...even factoring marriage / kids into things. Seems to me that Canada is not the bargain it once was, but there are many other good reasons to stay here.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:42 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

OK
my two penneth

Canada isnt the cheap option it appeared on our research trips.
No our money (that is the money we brought from the UK) isnt going as far as we hoped.

Having said we've been here since March 15th 2006 and we could sell up and go back to the UK having made a profit of £75k (yes British pounds not Canadian dollars).
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:44 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
. Everyone seems preoccupied with comparing apple and oranges on this thread. I mean who cares if chicken or milk or whatever costs a bit more in Vancouver Island than Croyden? Nobody emmigrates to Canada for the chicken or for cheap insurance or cheese.
No, we don't BUT putting food on the table and paying high insurance costs are a part of life here, as anywhere......... and when you are "starting over" again, these "necessary" things seem to take up a larger chunk of your wages than they did back in the UK. So they are important factors to take into consideration, especially when still finding your feet.

Not everyone walks into high waged employment. We were quite lucky to get a job to come to, and the wage is pretty good............we get by and we can afford for me to be at home with my children (just about) which is a luxury we didn't have in the UK.

That is one of the reasons we did this (amongst many others)
The cost of groceries may not be as of much importance if you are earning loads of "Moolar" as a good Stokie freind of mine says.................but if you have to watch the pennies then its extremely important !
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

Yes that is the plan, it's going to be a struggle though financially and emotionally but I think if we don't then we will kick ourselves although my dad says why bother if you aren't going to go back in live there in the future. He reckons all the opportunities for the kids will be in Europe anyway and not North America. Years ago my aunt and uncle went to South Africa, they gained citizenship thinking it would be an advantage for their kids but none of them want to go back at all. It's so hard knowing what to do, whether to stick it out or not.

Originally Posted by iaink
Are you staying long enough to get citizenship? Be a shame not to be able to return later on if you wanted too..
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

It's a long story Mans but I'm very emotionally tied to my own family back in the UK. I came for the experience of living abroad and I have enjoyed that, it was bugging me for 10 years before I came to Canada and now I've done it. I get bored quickly.....I've realised I miss things about the UK I can't have here....infact I feel terribly depressed living here so it's not doing me any good at all!

I feel I've let my kids down educationally, they have gone backwards so I feel guilty about that.

I think Canada has lots to offer but it just doesn't suit me at this time of my life. Maybe I will think differently in 10 years time! Yes I'm a mess!!!

One thing though, it's a great place for an real estate investment right now.

Originally Posted by Mans
I'm now considering taking my own advise, selling my 'mansion' and renting for a year before going back to the UK with a nice amount of equity in my pocket

Whats your reason for returning? ..... cost of living or other?[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:13 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hudd
My advice to anyone who wants to move to Canada is that you need alot of extra money to cover your loss in income for several years and all the other expenses you will occur.

Also make sure your can get the income that can maintain the standard of living you want or used too.

You certainly need a largish chunk of cash to set up, but as long as you have a realistic idea of what your income and outgoings will be, then I don't see that you would need to "top up" a loss of income. You adjust your new lifestyle accordingly.
My hub knew what his wage would be..................what we didn't know was how much Commission he would get on top of that, so we based all our calculations on the basic, and didn't stretch ourselves. Even abiding by that we are certainly not what you'd call "well off"
Set up costs can escalate if youre not careful.
You need to be sensible and keep a fair bit back as expenditure during the first 6 months will be higher than the next 6.

Don't take on a huge mortgage, don't move to the most expensive place in Canada to live,(unless you can afford to obviuosly), scour this forum for cost of living expenses in the various provinces. If you can get a job and ensure the salary is going to be enough in your chosen province, and research with a vengeance, then there shouldn't be too many surprises.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.