Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Misconception on cost of living

Misconception on cost of living

Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misconception on cost of living

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
I would guess you live in the sticks somewhere where there is no competition and I think Iain lives near to a big city where there is
The sticks is right!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:03 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Name brand Tylenol extra is $10 for 200 at SDM, Generic Ibuprofin is half that.

Generic Tylenol is called acetaminophen. Ibuprofin is a different drug.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TrishB
Wow, where do you live - it's $1.21 a liter here!
I just paid 95p a litre for deisel.

At least my car good on fuel. Yesterday I grove 360 miles and got 68 mpg at 70-75 mph.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:42 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oceanMDX

Generic Tylenol is called acetaminophen. Ibuprofin is a different drug.
Yes, acetaminophen is paracetamol as we know it and of course Ibuprofen is an Anti- Inflammatory, both available as a generic here for 20 or 30p for boxes of 16
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

D'Oh, so I had a brain fart
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lost4words
rant over?, so you have just admitted that you need CHEAP labour, its the likes of money greedy people like you that we have such problems, why dont you pay a decent wage? then maybe a british person could afford to work for you, will you enjoy seeing "britsh" people lose their homes and everything they have worked for because they cannot afford to take a lower pay, if it wasnt for the minium wage being set so low, people would be better off, thank you MR Blair, and as for your last comment about how you hope to not encounter too many canadians with anti immigtartion views is likely to cause offense on this forum, your out of order for that! as well as against many british people who you just tared as lazy basically!
Whilst there are doubtless many things one can complain about Labour/Blair, I think complaining about the minimum wage is a little choice. Prior to Blair there was NO minimum wage. Sensibly they brought the wage in at a low level and have increased it each year so as not to damage business with a sharp increase. Since it started in 1990 it has risen by over 40%, significantly above inflation.

About the Poles and Lithuanians - there are many British (hundreds of thousands) living and working across Europe - Spain, France, you name it. The same single market that permits the Brits to live and work abroad, permits the Poles and Lithuanians to work in the UK.

I am not sure the other posters comment - that he hoped he would not encounter too many Canadians with anti-immigration views - is offensive - I think most people moving to a country would hope they don't encounter people with anti-immigration views.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Whilst there are doubtless many things one can complain about Labour/Blair, I think complaining about the minimum wage is a little choice. Prior to Blair there was NO minimum wage. Sensibly they brought the wage in at a low level and have increased it each year so as not to damage business with a sharp increase. Since it started in 1990 it has risen by over 40%, significantly above inflation.

About the Poles and Lithuanians - there are many British (hundreds of thousands) living and working across Europe - Spain, France, you name it. The same single market that permits the Brits to live and work abroad, permits the Poles and Lithuanians to work in the UK.

I am not sure the other posters comment - that he hoped he would not encounter too many Canadians with anti-immigration views - is offensive - I think most people moving to a country would hope they don't encounter people with anti-immigration views.

Good post - have some karma! I think some people on this forum forget that they're immigrants to Canada.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

rant over?, so you have just admitted that you need CHEAP labour, its the likes of money greedy people like you that we have such problems, why dont you pay a decent wage? then maybe a british person could afford to work for you, will you enjoy seeing "britsh" people lose their homes and everything they have worked for because they cannot afford to take a lower pay, if it wasnt for the minium wage being set so low, people would be better off, thank you MR Blair, and as for your last comment about how you hope to not encounter too many canadians with anti immigtartion views is likely to cause offense on this forum, your out of order for that! as well as against many british people who you just tared as lazy basically!
50% of my overheads are wages even at £6.50 per hour, with these costs we struggle to make a profit, I would love to pay everyone huge wages but a small business cannot sustain it. I earn less than £5.00 per hour once all payroll & overheads are paid, so sorry if you feel that that is greedy!!

I do not consider my comment that I hope that I hope that do not encounter people with anti immigrant views offensive, surely no one wants to feel unwelcome in a new country.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Good post - have some karma! I think some people on this forum forget that they're immigrants to Canada.
Im not, Im a citizen

The irony of people leaving a country to emmigrate to another because there are too many immigrants always makes me smile.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Please read the original post, that is exactlt what i was refering to
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

silver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Maggie T (god rot her soul)
I'll drink to that

This is an interesting discussion. I find it quite staggering that CIC only require proof of funds of around $19k for a family of 4. I know this is a minimum, but without a job how long will that last? :scared: We decided that if one of us doesn't secure a job before going, we would probably not move over, despite having equity in the house and savings to live off - the risk is too great with young children. Some people may not understand that logic, but although we want to live in Canada, it isn't at all costs.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver birch
I'll drink to that

This is an interesting discussion. I find it quite staggering that CIC only require proof of funds of around $19k for a family of 4. I know this is a minimum, but without a job how long will that last? :scared: We decided that if one of us doesn't secure a job before going, we would probably not move over, despite having equity in the house and savings to live off - the risk is too great with young children. Some people may not understand that logic, but although we want to live in Canada, it isn't at all costs.
Hear hear! As I said upthread, I've moved around between countries several times since first leaving the UK, but NEVER without having arranged a job to go to before moving. Of course I accept that many people may not have that luxury, but maybe those folk should think twice about the downside before emigrating at all. If they are prepared to take a risk, fine, but please don't complain if things don't work out.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:57 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

I wholeheartedly agree with your post here (karma sent), even if I don't think Labour have done very much in its time, one thing they did do was bring in the minimum wage and without it some people would still be earning even less than it is set at now.
What annoyed me was all the employers kicking off about it saying they could'nt afford to pay higher wages at the time (meaning they didn't want to eat into their enormous profits) but they did and it didn't mean thousands of workers losing their jobs.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by silver birch
I'll drink to that

I would agree you need to secure a job first. $19k would last you six months if you do not have to replace your cars, furniture, appliance etc.

We rented a 1 bedroom basement apartment in 1997 for $700 month for a year for a family of four. We spent about $25K in the first month replacing our cars and buying new beds, furniture ,computer(for job hunting) and general household appliances.

I since then helped several professional engineers to get jobs in Canada and I managed to negotiated half decent packages for them as a manager in a large company.

When we came to Canada we were on our own and had little support. I started on $40K/yr on my first job and took 5 year to get back to $90k/yr salary. We used about $50k of our house equity to fill the loss income.

I understand your logic about you children. We moved 4 times in 3 years and ended up 3600km across Canada from were we originally started. Its a hard moving to a new country and you need to know that you can afford to settle in one area.

hudd
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:54 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

BUt I dont agree that the Uk's Immigration, I live in an area where there has been a HUGE influx of Poles, and in my area of work I am being put out of work because the eastern european workers, they can afford to accept £7.00 an hour, I cannot afford to work for that, I have a mortgage and have to pay taxes,

Hey I'm late twenties and have had to qualify to be in my job I have a mortgage too where all I can afford is a small flat, I earn about £6 an hour. I'm annoyed that people can come to this country and earn more than me, where do I get these jobs? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.