Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:27 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Originally Posted by Freddy_uk
when I've been travelling between southern alberta and vancouver I've never not had service when i really needed it.
Last month we did most of that route (have done it many times), and there are lots and lots of places you'll get no coverage at all.

Unfortunately for the poor couple who hit a moose in front of us, we had to drive 8km further down the road until we got a signal to call 911 for help. He had a bad head injury so that lack of coverage could have meant life or death (still don't know if he survived).

This was just over 10km outside of a large town with a population of around 50k.

You just have to be lucky enough that when you need it, it's not in one of those large numbers of areas.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freddy_uk
Calm down jeez, and if you struggle that much with cell phone service their are such things as passive antennas for your cell phone or mi-fi unit ti improve reception.

I appreciate when travelling far beyond city limits service will be sketchy, but personally when I've been travelling between southern alberta and vancouver I've never not had service when i really needed it.

I'm perfectly calm, just refuting your inaccurate assertions. Having cell coverage doesn't mean enough to me to want an additional antenna. You need not travel far beyond city limits at all to have sketchy coverage - 24 out of 26kms of my commute is within city limits and over 50% of the journey has no cell service.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

lynsey4321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saz1983
You can get an agent to look up rentals for you and make appointments etc but they can only get you rentals that are on the MLS (Multiple Listing Service - google it) and lots of landlords don't put their places on the MLS to avoid paying fees to agents. The best places to look for rentals are viewit, craigs list, kijiji and scouring the local paper. Be aware that rentals can be gone in a day. If you are just going on a scouting trip then spend that time finding the best area to live in for your needs and then find an available rental on the means above. There's no point going to view places all over the place because they won't be there anymore once you are ready to move.
Great advice, I really appreciate it! Hadn't actually thought about how quickly things may go off the market.

We're scouting first week in Sept and moving first week Oct - do you think it's pushing it? I worry about going privately and getting a bad surprise you see

We are pretty set on the area (Scarborough/Pickering) to be near hubby's work (plus people have said nice thing on here).

Thanks again for the advice!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynsey4321
Great advice, I really appreciate it! Hadn't actually thought about how quickly things may go off the market.

We're scouting first week in Sept and moving first week Oct - do you think it's pushing it? I worry about going privately and getting a bad surprise you see

We are pretty set on the area (Scarborough/Pickering) to be near hubby's work (plus people have said nice thing on here).

Thanks again for the advice!
If you put a deposit down on a place you are looking at you are only really talking a months extra rent...

People have said nice things about Scarborough here? Really?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats odd, there are certainly companies where I live which exist solely to look after the rental market

Look under "Real Estate management" in the yellow pages...
Thank you also for your help! funnily enough to do that only just clicked for me the other night when I was thinking about the management fees we need to pay to let out our own property! But when I looked the up on yellow pages I found hardly any websites, never mind easy to use ones. I will keep at it might just be a case of picking up the phone
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

If you put a deposit down on a place you are looking at you are only really talking a months extra rent...

People have said nice things about Scarborough here? Really?
Yeah...somewhere, I think...why, what should we look out for? eek!

The first hurdle is finding the houses to visit and not spend the scouting trip wandering wish us luck!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The first hurdle is finding the houses to visit and not spend the scouting trip wandering wish us luck!
It has a reputation for gang violence. I suppose there are more geneteel bits to the south, but the housing projects look a bit grim. I guess its the low rent end of the market thats dodgy, and you can find gang issues almost anywhere if you look close enough.

Our head office is there, although it was rebranded as "Toronto" a few years back.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

It has a reputation for gang violence. I suppose there are more geneteel bits to the south, but the housing projects look a bit grim. I guess its the low rent end of the market thats dodgy, and you can find gang issues almost anywhere if you look close enough.

Our head office is there, although it was rebranded as "Toronto" a few years back.
oooh nooo...

Well thank you once again! I really appreciate the insight!

So a bit off topic I know, but is there any places you could recommend when working in Scarborough please?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

There are nice enough bits to the East. The farther out you go the more bang for your property buck. If you can live with the commute Cobourg is quite nice, although a bit of a bedsit community I wouldnt want to go any farther out than that. Then again, if hes going to be leaving work at 4 to hit rush hour traffic that would start to wear after a while.

Personally Id live as close to the Brimacombe ski hill as possible, but thats just for my own selfish reasons
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

There are nice enough bits to the East. The farther out you go the more bang for your property buck. If you can live with the commute Cobourg is quite nice, although a bit of a bedsit community I wouldnt want to go any farther out than that. Then again, if hes going to be leaving work at 4 to hit rush hour traffic that would start to wear after a while.

Personally Id live as close to the Brimacombe ski hill as possible, but thats just for my own selfish reasons
HA! Now you're talking maybe one day...

Cobourg is pretty far out, hadn't really considered past Ajax - maybe we need to revisit the idea of different areas! he has a 20min cycle to work right now, don't think that's going to be happening

You say leave work at 4pm? Is that what office hours tend to be in Canada or am I reading too much in to things...!

Thanks again!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

HA! Now you're talking maybe one day...

Cobourg is pretty far out, hadn't really considered past Ajax - maybe we need to revisit the idea of different areas! he has a 20min cycle to work right now, don't think that's going to be happening

You say leave work at 4pm? Is that what office hours tend to be in Canada or am I reading too much in to things...!

Thanks again!
Depends when you get there.

Ive one friend commutes from Rice Lake to Markham, starts late and leaves late, and another in Cobourg who start early and leaves early... In both cases to try and minimise the impact of traffic, and in both cases with mixed results.

Biking 20minutes sounds great, in the summer at least.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Depends when you get there.

Ive one friend commutes from Rice Lake to Markham, starts late and leaves late, and another in Cobourg who start early and leaves early... In both cases to try and minimise the impact of traffic, and in both cases with mixed results.

Biking 20minutes sounds great, in the summer at least.
You've been great - it's given us a lot to think about. I'm now getting the importance of just waiting and seeing what area we like on the scouting trip rather than wasting time dwelling on houses that 1. may not be there when we're ready and 2. might be right bang in gang land! (no pun intended)

He loves his cycle, does it as long as there is no ice - we have a nice cycle route near our house that takes you along the river and in to the city
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you ruled out living in Toronto? To Scarborough you could commute from some easterly areas such as the beaches or Danforth which are very nice but a bit more pricey. Depending on where in Scarborough, you can also commute pretty easily from Markham, you could also look in Ajax or Whitby/Brooklin. Are you going to have a car? This will influence your decision on where to live greatly. Generally Scarborough is not held in great regard by people here but like everywhere it has its good and very bad parts.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

FWIW most of the folks at our "Toronto" office live in the Oshawa Whitby Pickering Ajax Markham conglomeration.

Maybe thats just an indication that we probably dont pay enough for them to make it to the Beaches and downtown
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Pickering just across the border from Scarborough. In 28 years here I have not experienced any gang or chav activity. It's a pleasant, quiet, safe and tree lined sub-division about 5 minute drive from the GO train service. I'm a three minute walk from a beach on Lake Ontario. One could easily cycle into Scarborough, if desired.
Scarborough has a reputation not all together deserved. Yes, there is some gang activity/shootings but only in certain pockets of the area. Scarborough has many very nice areas where people live out their lives comfortably and without fear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.