Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minor Observation About Canadian Websites..

Originally Posted by curleytops
I lived just west of Thunder Bay & lived on the internet - for me there was nothing else of interest to do. I threw my dial-up connection out the window years ago & had no bother adding to my audio and video libraries with the broadband connection I had.
OK, the references to the 401 and to Thunder Bay (a place I picked at random as representing "the north") were hyperbole. Nonetheless, great parts of southern Ontario, for example, most parts of Dufferin County, Grey County and Bruce County have no broadband. Cell phone reception is inconsistent. Sirius reaches most, but not all, locations so long as the receiver is stationary. In terms of reception commuting across Dufferin County was like driving in rural Utah but without the scenery.

I don't believe there's better internet provision in northern Ontario, say past North Bay, as there's less population, but it's hard to check because whatever location you put into Bell's website it responds that there's wonderful service.

The idea that there's a TV cable going to properties outside housing projects is whimsical. I assume "Everywhere I've been in Alberta and BC" is Burnaby and one of those awful bits of Calgary named after nice bits of Europe; Tuscany or Cape Ferat or Banlieue.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 15th 2012 at 11:59 am.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK, the references to the 401 and to Thunder Bay (a place I picked at random as representing "the north") were hyperbole. Nonetheless, great parts of southern Ontario, for example, most parts of Dufferin County, Grey County and Bruce County have no broadband. Cell phone reception is inconsistent. Sirius reaches most, but not all, locations so long as the receiver is stationary. In terms of reception commuting across Dufferin County was like driving in rural Utah but without the scenery.

I don't believe there's better internet provision in northern Ontario, say past North Bay, as there's less population, but it's hard to check because whatever location you put into Bell's website it responds that there's wonderful service.

The idea that there's a TV cable going to properties outside housing projects is whimsical. I assume "Everywhere I've been in Alberta and BC" is Burnaby and one of those awful bits of Calgary named after nice bits of Europe; Tuscany or Cape Ferat or Banlieue.
Yeah I hear you. There are still big holes in coverage in a lot of places and then seemingly decent coverage where you'd least expect it.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freddy_uk
If that's the case can't you get rogers 4g network?. Everywhere I've been in Alberta and BC at least had dsl.
$60 a month minimum, and doesnt work at my place
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Freddy_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
You need to get out more. I'm 20 minutes drive from the downtown core of a city of c90,000 people, and just a couple of kms out of city limits. I have no cable, no cell service, no broadband. I recently took a road trip from here to Jasper and had no cell service for over 4 hours of the journey. The following 2 days travelling to Banff and back to Kamloops were similar - service available within towns themselves, but travel a short distance outside and there's often nothing. To suggest 4G is commonly available in BC is nonsense.
Calm down jeez, and if you struggle that much with cell phone service their are such things as passive antennas for your cell phone or mi-fi unit ti improve reception.

Last time i visited canada i stayed in banff and visited jasper, they both had good service on rogers. In Waterton national park i can get HSDPA+, 2yrs ago you couldnt get service at all nevermind mobile broadband so shows upgrades are going on in some locations.

I appreciate when travelling far beyond city limits service will be sketchy, but personally when I've been travelling between southern alberta and vancouver I've never not had service when i really needed it.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

You make many assumptions about the places i have visited in the last 6yrs of going to canada, and thats least one or twice a yr. Not sure why everyone seems to be getting their backs up here and going on the attack.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ill take the experience of people living in out of town areas over those of visitors passing though.

Some days my phone works fine, 2 or more signal bars. Sadly they are few and far between. My neighbour has an antenna, his experience is similar. Hit and Miss.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

The idea that there's a TV cable going to properties outside housing projects is whimsical..
This is not true, the Bell map has me down in a poor reception area, and is remarkably accurate about where my signal will get better.

Im 25km out of town and do have the option of cable TV, we just dont bother with it. We are too far out for cable internet though.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Ill take the experience of people living in out of town areas over those of visitors passing though.

Some days my phone works fine, 2 or more signal bars. Sadly they are few and far between. My neighbour has an antenna, his experience is similar. Hit and Miss.
Thats fine but my experiences are still just that and not limited to major cities. Some of the posts are quite aggressive, and we're only talking about broadband!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Thats fine but my experiences are still just that and not limited to major cities. Some of the posts are quite aggressive, and we're only talking about broadband!!
Its a touchy topic for those that either cant get it, or pay through the nose for it
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Because its naffing frustrating living rather than just visiting, in such a backward and expensive place where the inhabitants have delusions of grandeur.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
Because its naffing frustrating living rather than just visiting, in such a backward and expensive place where the inhabitants have delusions of grandeur.
No need to use me as a vent though. Yes i visit, but i have family split across three provinces and its only one relative in saskatchewan that has dial-up and the another in del-bonita with a population of about 30; so I hardly expect anything better.

If all i had was dial-up I'd be pretty pissed too.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynsey4321
Yes! I've noticed this too, trying to look up letting agencies and it feels like an impossible task on the net. I can't help but kind of judge a company by how professional it is as that's all I have to work with. I notice it with Gumtree Vs Craigslist
You won't find a letting agency because you don't get them here. For a rental property you can go to real estate agent or go through Kijiji/craigs list/ local newspaper. The concept of a letting agency is non-existant in Canada.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

lynsey4321 is an unknown quantity at this point

saz1983 - THANK YOU! I thought I was just being completely incapable!

So it's pretty much a case of looking online to craigs list etc and try and arrange appointments with different folk for the scouting trip? Was hoping for an easier way...like a nice website that offered to do it all for me wishful thinking huh
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get an agent to look up rentals for you and make appointments etc but they can only get you rentals that are on the MLS (Multiple Listing Service - google it) and lots of landlords don't put their places on the MLS to avoid paying fees to agents. The best places to look for rentals are viewit, craigs list, kijiji and scouring the local paper. Be aware that rentals can be gone in a day. If you are just going on a scouting trip then spend that time finding the best area to live in for your needs and then find an available rental on the means above. There's no point going to view places all over the place because they won't be there anymore once you are ready to move.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 1:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by saz1983
You won't find a letting agency because you don't get them here. For a rental property you can go to real estate agent or go through Kijiji/craigs list/ local newspaper. The concept of a letting agency is non-existant in Canada.
Thats odd, there are certainly companies where I live which exist solely to look after the rental market

Look under "Real Estate management" in the yellow pages...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.