Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Medical problem....

Medical problem....

Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

trish grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical problem....

So before we left the UK I had an Implanon contraceptive put in my Arm, they last for around 3 years. So my problem is that it is running out and I cant find a Dr in Calgary who is qualified to take it out.....Have called Alberta Health link and none of the places they recomended can do it....anyone els had this problem???
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical problem....

You have a problem.

Implanon, as I understand it is not available in Canada.

As physicians are supposed to be specifically trained in the implantation and removal before doing it, unless you can find a physician who has worked in the USA and had experience with this it is very unlikely that any will agree to do it for you.

You could be luck and find someone who is willing to "have a go", but it will just mean doing the legwork and talking to everyone nicely. Otherwise, you may be taking a very expensive trip to the US.

However you manage to arrange it, you do really need to have it removed.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I am an RN working in sexual health. They going to be licensed here in Canada in the next few months but no set date.
I take them out as I was trained in the UK for inserts and removals. I do remove them in the Women's Clinic that I work at here in Victoria. I understand I am one of the few trained people at this time to do this!
You could come over to me and I will take it out! If you DM me I would give you my clinic details. I took one out from a Brit last week that had moved here!
Or, you could keep it in until they get trained here. It will not matter if it is left in. BUT make sure you go on some other contraception from the date it 'expires'.
When I worked in Portsmouth we left a few in patients that had had them inserted so badly by other Drs that we could not remove them safely. They can be left in, but will give you no guarantee or contraception cover after the date.
Hope this waffle is clear!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:34 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlottyb
I am an RN working in sexual health. They going to be licensed here in Canada in the next few months but no set date.
I take them out as I was trained in the UK for inserts and removals. I do remove them in the Women's Clinic that I work at here in Victoria. I understand I am one of the few trained people at this time to do this!
You could come over to me and I will take it out! If you DM me I would give you my clinic details. I took one out from a Brit last week that had moved here!
Or, you could keep it in until they get trained here. It will not matter if it is left in. BUT make sure you go on some other contraception from the date it 'expires'.
When I worked in Portsmouth we left a few in patients that had had them inserted so badly by other Drs that we could not remove them safely. They can be left in, but will give you no guarantee or contraception cover after the date.
Yey! A great excuse for a trip to Victoria!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:50 am
Just Joined

trish grant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlottyb
Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly a trip to Victoria is out of the question for me, although would be a great excuse to see some more of Canada!
And leaving it in is also out of the question had to have the last one replaced early after about 2.5 yrs... think all the PMT I did not get for that time builds up to the end, think if I leave it to run out I might just end up divorced (turning into a spotty she devel...LOL).