Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Christmas decorations and removals

Christmas decorations and removals

Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas decorations and removals

I'm in the process of taking down all my decorations, I love Christmas and have loads of them. Individually they aren't worth a lot but collectively they would cost a fortune to replace and I'm very to them- I've been collecting for many years!! I'm hoping that when I next see them we'll be in BC.
My problem is I pack them away very carefully into about 13 boxes, which I should be able to reduce by using newer bigger ones, but would a removal firm accept that. I'll stick to my old ones if they don't.
If I lightly seal the boxes so they can undo, look in and reseal properly is that ok from an insurance point of view. It would take them forever to wrap themselves and I don't know I trust them with things which have so much sentimental value. Pots and most ornaments I can replace but not these! I am planning to have the removal company do the rest of our packing. Maybe it will depend on the removal company, but others must have had a similar problem, so I would be grateful for your thoughts.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

mayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud of
Default Re: Christmas decorations and removals

Hi snoopdawg, I was having the exact same thoughts this morning as I started to pack my decorations away. Not as many boxes as you but I do want them to arrive in one piece. I will follow your thread if you don't mind me tagging along for the info.
Thanx.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We packed all of the Christmas decorations in 2 large boxes and there was no problems with the removals, they just took a cursory look at the box and put it into a larger packing box.

Be careful to remove any organic material such as pine cones as you are not supposed to take these and if you are taking a stand used for a Christmas tree then clean it as you would outside stuff.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:36 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I'm in the process of taking down all my decorations, I love Christmas and have loads of them. Individually they aren't worth a lot but collectively they would cost a fortune to replace and I'm very to them- I've been collecting for many years!! I'm hoping that when I next see them we'll be in BC.
My problem is I pack them away very carefully into about 13 boxes, which I should be able to reduce by using newer bigger ones, but would a removal firm accept that. I'll stick to my old ones if they don't.
If I lightly seal the boxes so they can undo, look in and reseal properly is that ok from an insurance point of view. It would take them forever to wrap themselves and I don't know I trust them with things which have so much sentimental value. Pots and most ornaments I can replace but not these! I am planning to have the removal company do the rest of our packing. Maybe it will depend on the removal company, but others must have had a similar problem, so I would be grateful for your thoughts.
just had this conversation with our packers......so, here goes! NO real decorations are allowed ie: pine cones, wreaths etc etc. made from plants......if you pack your own box and seal, that's okay but you must list out it's contents and if anything is of 'real' value, then you must insure it or it will only be worth the £40 per box, as quoted from 'pickfords' (your remover might be more or less per box, dependent on who you use).....this is only whilst in thier care, this does not include in transit by air/rail/or road and especially by sea, where you need extra marine insurance.......

what i've done, is to box and seal anything that isn't of value as such, more 'sentimental value' which is worth no amount of insurance......then i've totalled up the 'replacement cost' and got insurance on the things i would want to replace.......this is now costing us £1500 for the shipping instead of the £3500 as quoted by pickfords......in other words, where only insuring certain items and not the whole lot, as somethings just aren't that important to us and as stated, no amount of money can replace some items......

hope that helps.......
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We packed all of the Christmas decorations in 2 large boxes and there was no problems with the removals, they just took a cursory look at the box and put it into a larger packing box.

Be careful to remove any organic material such as pine cones as you are not supposed to take these and if you are taking a stand used for a Christmas tree then clean it as you would outside stuff.
So if they are on wreaths and garlands should you remove the cones but still take the rest of it ie minus the cones,
Strange really as mine were from Costco so they have come over from USA probably and now going back but need to be modified

I read somewhere about animal skins and feathers etc does that mean you can't take feather quilts or sheepskin rugs ? yet you can take leather sofa etc ?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you remove the cones I think that you should be fine.

As for the quilts, they are just listed as a quilt, no-one asked what they were made of.

Regarding rugs, I can't see them being a problem but we didn't ship any so someone else will no doubt be able to advise you better.

Good luck with the move.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
As long as you remove the cones I think that you should be fine.

As for the quilts, they are just listed as a quilt, no-one asked what they were made of.

Regarding rugs, I can't see them being a problem but we didn't ship any so someone else will no doubt be able to advise you better.

Good luck with the move.
Thanks for that, we have some sheepskin rugs and all our quilts are feathers as well as mattress toppers would hate to get rid of all those
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:09 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

read somewhere (can't remember where, too much reading done already; phew) but i think if you're going out on TWP then things like mattress's don't have to be fumigated, whereas if you're going out on PR they do.....not sure there is any logic in that one, really!......so assuming the rule MIGHT apply to pillows, mattress toppers etc.....don't know the definite answere.....just know that 'pickfords' and the other companies we had out, all said 'no organic matter, whatsoever, especially cones'....i'm quessing this is because of the very BIG problem that canada has with the 'pine beetle'......
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant future

We packed ours into small boxes and the packers (from Thetford) put into larger boxes ,all organic materials removed (cones etc) and marked Christmas Decorations. To my knowledge these were not opened by customs .I did however take pictures of some of the more collectable items . Hope this helps
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:50 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about your removal company but we were also told to take out candles and pine cones. Something to do wth Bees Wax and insect contamination.

Our removal company looked inside some boxes we had packed and just wraped paper around them. Just ask them when they come to pack up.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Well, bah humbug. Now I've got to undo the boxes and get the blardy cones out. I'd been really careful to take the lights and candles out (summer removals...) to pack 'canada' boxes apart from 'uk storage/ need to give away' boxes - weirdly, we're in a similar position to coffeepot, as I think the cone decorations came from Alberta in the first place... and our wreath definitely came from the Hat Ah well. There was me thinking I was all ahead of the game...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
read somewhere (can't remember where, too much reading done already; phew) but i think if you're going out on TWP then things like mattress's don't have to be fumigated, whereas if you're going out on PR they do.....not sure there is any logic in that one, really!......so assuming the rule MIGHT apply to pillows, mattress toppers etc.....don't know the definite answere.....just know that 'pickfords' and the other companies we had out, all said 'no organic matter, whatsoever, especially cones'....i'm quessing this is because of the very BIG problem that canada has with the 'pine beetle'......
Mattresses do not need to be fumigated for either WP or PR
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyones replies- you've given me something to work with. I hadn't thought about pine cones, I may remove them and take the swags etc anyway, but candles- I have loads of candles- are they a complete no no? Good job my sister loves them
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:45 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyones replies- you've given me something to work with. I hadn't thought about pine cones, I may remove them and take the swags etc anyway, but candles- I have loads of candles- are they a complete no no? Good job my sister loves them
I took them all out, its better to be safe than sorry. If the officals open your container and they don't like them they will send your whole container back and make you pay for the privilege.

Better buying more candles when you get out here than for that to happen.

Don't forget all them tealights, I have some Halloween ornaments that contained them. Sorry even more to think of.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
I took them all out, its better to be safe than sorry. If the officals open your container and they don't like them they will send your whole container back and make you pay for the privilege.

Better buying more candles when you get out here than for that to happen.

Don't forget all them tealights, I have some Halloween ornaments that contained them. Sorry even more to think of.
Same here cassie i have loads although i did start burning some of the special ones at Christmas as i thought i wouldn't be able to take them,
Anyway there is always Michaels to top up the Christmas cones and candles etc,

Wonder how we should describe mattres toppers then or would they think they are foam ? Think i will ask the removels,

Cassie didn't you do yours yourself ? did you encounter any problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.