Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

medical cover elegibility

medical cover elegibility

Old Mar 29th 2019, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond repute
Question medical cover elegibility

Good Afternoon all - any experts on the subject of elegibility for medical coverage here? My daughter, who is studying at uni in the UK, has recently been refused medical coverage (when back in Canada outside of term-time) on the basis that she didn't live here before going to Uni. She started there last September - shortly before we moved here from Dubai. To summarize her position :-

Canadian Citizen since birth
Born outside of Canada
Has never resided in Canada
Canadian mother
British Father with PR, working in Canada (MB)
Planning to work in MB during summer - will be paying taxes but apparently NOT receiving any benefit from them?
Planning to return to Canada when studies completed

As we understand it, the only reason that coverage is being denied is that she did not come to Manitoba immediately prior to leaving for uni (we hadn't moved here yet), however, her entire family are now resident here, paying taxes - as she will have to do when working during the summer.

It seems utterly wrong that she will required to pay taxes here when working but will receive nothing in return. We are appealing the decision but not confident of success.

Any helpful suggestions / information out there?

Old Mar 30th 2019, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical cover elegibility

Originally Posted by Stuart Adamson
Good Afternoon all - any experts on the subject of elegibility for medical coverage here? My daughter, who is studying at uni in the UK, has recently been refused medical coverage (when back in Canada outside of term-time) on the basis that she didn't live here before going to Uni. She started there last September - shortly before we moved here from Dubai. To summarize her position :-

Born outside of Canada
Canadian mother
British Father with PR, working in Canada (MB)
Planning to work in MB during summer - will be paying taxes but apparently NOT receiving any benefit from them?
Planning to return to Canada when studies completed

As we understand it, the only reason that coverage is being denied is that she did not come to Manitoba immediately prior to leaving for uni (we hadn't moved here yet), however, her entire family are now resident here, paying taxes - as she will have to do when working during the summer.

It seems utterly wrong that she will required to pay taxes here when working but will receive nothing in return. We are appealing the decision but not confident of success.

Any helpful suggestions / information out there?
Seems pretty clear she is not eligible for coverage

https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#Q1

To be eligible for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage you must:
  • Be a Canadian citizen
  • Establish a permanent residence in Manitoba, and
  • Reside (physically) in Manitoba six months in a calendar year

I'm new to Manitoba. How do I apply for coverage?

If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba.
Most provinces have similar qualification rules.

Old Mar 30th 2019, 1:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Sounds like what it would be in the UK too.

And likely taxes for work in Canada would be refunded if not reaching the untaxed level...also like the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Manitoba is better than many in that at least it does not have an initial 'wait' period (in Ontario, you do not qualify until you have been there 3 months, so you have to fend for yourself for 3 months), and yes, then a similar residency period in Ontario also kicks in.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 5:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Seems pretty clear she is not eligible for coverage

https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#Q1

If she is a Canadian Citizen residing in Manitoba, she should be covered.

Depending also on her age, if she is still classed as a dependent perhaps she could go on the Canadian parents account.
If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba
Who is eligible for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage?

Returning Canadians
You are eligible for coverage the day you arrive in Manitoba when proof of your Canadian citizenship, arrival date and residence status are provided.

I'm new to Canada. How do I apply for coverage?
If you are a new resident and would like to apply for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage, please present a photocopy of your passport and all other Citizenship and Immigration Canada documents which have been issued to you and your dependants along with a completed Manitoba Health Registration Form. Providing the document you have been issued is acceptable as outlined in The Health Services Insurance Act, you may be eligible for coverage.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 30th 2019 at 5:26 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie ...............

the OP did state that his daughter has NEVER resided in Canada, even though she is a Canadian citizen ..............

............. on the basis that she didn't live here before going to Uni. She started there last September - shortly before we moved here from Dubai. To summarize her position :-

Born outside of Canada
Canadian mother
I'm not sure where that does leave her .................. but it seems as though the ruling could be correct.

Depending on her summer job, how much she is paid, and how long she is actually here at that point could also be debatable????
Old Mar 30th 2019, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems these 2 requirements might be the issue?
  • Establish a permanent residence in Manitoba, and
  • Reside (physically) in Manitoba six months in a calendar year

Has she established permanent residency in Manitoba?

Does she physically reside in Manitoba 6 months out of the year?
Old Mar 31st 2019, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Can happen moving provinces as well:

"Can a Canadian who lives in Canada be denied health coverage? It happens"

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...age-it-happens

Last edited by Linotype; Mar 31st 2019 at 5:07 am.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 5:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she will pay taxes but may not get healthcare initially if she doesn't meet the requirement to reside in Manitoba to qualify for it but paying taxes has no relevance to getting healthcare! The taxes don't go to the Province - don't forget, taxes are Federal - healthcare is Provincial!

Could she not transfer to a Canadian Uni? At least that way her qualification would be recognised here too.

Had she been registered in Manitoba prior to moving abroad to study, yes, she would have been covered provided she had notified them according to the requirements. Unfortunately I'm presuming this will be why she's not covered as a student presently.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#Q3
I’m a student. What do I have to do to maintain my Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage if I study in another province, territory, or country, and plan on returning to reside in Manitoba?

Any Manitoba resident who leaves the province temporarily to attend an accredited educational institution is eligible, provided the following requirements are met.

If you are a Manitoba resident leaving the province to attend school on a full-time basis, the following must be provided to Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living prior to your departure:
A letter or completed Manitoba Health form requesting continued coverage from Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living.
A letter from an accredited educational institution confirming your full-time attendance and duration of studies

Originally Posted by scilly
Siouxie ...............

the OP did state that his daughter has NEVER resided in Canada, even though she is a Canadian citizen ..............

I'm not sure where that does leave her .................. but it seems as though the ruling could be correct.

Depending on her summer job, how much she is paid, and how long she is actually here at that point could also be debatable????

Yes, I had read that, thanks.

However.. once she is residing in Manitoba she would be able to apply.. (it's the INTENT to reside in Manitoba for183 days a year, not after you have lived there for 183 days), it shouldn't matter whether she is working or not. What might impact is whether she has a permanent residence in Manitoba - i.e if she will be living with her parents.. she will need proof of residing in Manitoba, I would imagine and if she INTENDS to live in Manitoba for 183 days a year.. If she will be living with her parents, and depending on her age, perhaps they could register her on their Manitoba health account as a dependent.
https://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/h035e.php

2.1c) between 18 and 20 years of age, and is attending a university, secondary school or other educational institution, or is training at a school of nursing,
It's the residing in Manitoba part that I think is the stumbling block... but once she moves to Canada permanently she would be covered anyway... and if it's just the summer part that's an issue then register when she returns from the UK.. she just has to have the intention to reside in Manitoba for 183 days in the year...
If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba
Additionally:
https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/change.html

If you move to Manitoba from another country, you may receive health care benefits (except personal care home benefits) from the first day of your arrival provided you have the appropriate documentation, i.e., permanent resident status, proof of Canadian Citizenship... et cetera.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 31st 2019 at 5:40 am.