Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job search help and advice.

Job search help and advice.

Old Mar 31st 2019, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job search help and advice.

Can the good people on this forum please share their experiences and advice regarding job search in Canada especially BC in the engineering sector. How did you go about finding your job? What did you do? Also, if you conducted your job search from the UK did you use your UK address and phone number on your resume. Is it wise to use a Canadian address on your resume if not, why not?

I would appreciate all help and suggestions as a friend who is an engineer would like to immigrate to Canada, especially BC and is a trained engineer but does not know how to conduct their job search and would like to use my address.

many thanks,
RubyRose
Old Apr 1st 2019, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job search help and advice.

In general, it seems extremely difficult to get a job from outside Canada.

Employers like to know that the applicant has a visa to enter Canada, or they have to go through the process of advertising the job across Canada, prove there is no Canadian (citizen or Resident) who has the qualifications or who does want the job, and pay $1,000 to get the LMIA for the off-shore applicant.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Direct them to BE, get them to read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, and plan a trip out there to job hunt in person. I'd also suggest they join BE and start their own thread, as there may be easier options to them i.e. they may qualify for a visa without needing a job offer first.

HTH.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 2:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Additionally, often where in the UK we would use the term "Engineer" In Canada it may be a different title. Engineer is a regulated profession here and in order to use that title and be able to work as an Engineer requires registration and certification in the Province. https://newcomers.engineerscanada.ca/licensing-canada
Old Apr 1st 2019, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Can the good people on this forum please share their experiences and advice regarding job search in Canada especially BC in the engineering sector. How did you go about finding your job? What did you do? Also, if you conducted your job search from the UK did you use your UK address and phone number on your resume. Is it wise to use a Canadian address on your resume if not, why not?

I would appreciate all help and suggestions as a friend who is an engineer would like to immigrate to Canada, especially BC and is a trained engineer but does not know how to conduct their job search and would like to use my address.

many thanks,
RubyRose
I think it depends what line of work you are in, but I'd say unless you are getting a transfer from a branch of the same company, or have a skill that is very rare, it is nigh on impossible to get a job in Canada from the UK, Canadian employers are just not interested in employing people who don't live in Canada, infact they are even reluctant to employ Canadians that have not been recommended to them! It all seems to be based on who you know, not what you know. Thats how hiring is done here......however if you keep on trying you will break through eventually. but I would obtain your Permanent Residence or work visa and search and apply from within Canada.

Also note what Souxie said too...."engineer" here has a different meaning to that in the UK, if you want to practice engineering as she says its a provincially regulated profession, so you may have to jump through some hoops to satisfy those requirements. Are you a mechanical or civil engineer? There seems much more work for civil/construction engineers in Canada than mechanical.

Dont give up though if its something you want to do, perserverance does pay off in the end

Paul.