Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

P85 earnings vs refund

P85 earnings vs refund

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

HerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond repute
Default P85 earnings vs refund

I'm wondering if anyone call help?

I called HMRC today, to understand what refund I would be looking at receiving, and they've informed me that I am due no refund.
I was expecting one, since I have moved to Canada and will be required to pay tax here - no doubt.
I filed my P85 1st October, and am still employed by a UK Company on an NT tax code (Still paying monthly NI contributions)
What is the standard calculation? I can't seem to find one anywhere??

Thank you
HM
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P85 earnings vs refund

There isn't a standard calculation. You say that you're paying NI but don't mention tax, so are you PAYE and being paid (and taxed) in the UK?

You'll only get a refund if you've overpaid tax i.e. if you left the UK a couple of months in to the tax year and had paid tax via PAYE but not actually ended up earning over the personal allowance amount.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

HerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond repute

I am PAYE and paid in the UK - paid under my regular tax code until it was changed to NT in December 2018.
So I paid tax up to that point for last year. We left the UK in September, so I paid my regular taxes in September, October and November - even though I was not living in the UK and I'll be required to pay taxes in Canada.
I earned over the amount of non-taxable income.

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HerMadge
I am PAYE and paid in the UK - paid under my regular tax code until it was changed to NT in December 2018.
So I paid tax up to that point for last year. We left the UK in September, so I paid my regular taxes in September, October and November - even though I was not living in the UK and I'll be required to pay taxes in Canada.
When did you file your P85? When you left in Sept?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HerMadge
I had to do more than just file a P85 (which I did). I also got my tax adviser to have a specific 'double taxation form' from HMRC completed and stamped by CRA to confirm that I was now a Canadian tax payer. Once I sent that form the HMRC, I got the refund. Perhaps you need to do the same. There is no HMRC form number, but I will update this response with the link when I find it.

Here is the appropriate HMRC link and form:

http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...nadaindividual
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I had to do more than just file a P85 (which I did). I also got my tax adviser to have a specific 'double taxation form' from HMRC completed and stamped by CRA to confirm that I was now a Canadian tax payer. Once I sent that form the HMRC, I got the refund. Perhaps you need to do the same. There is no HMRC form number, but I will update this response with the link when I find it.

Here is the appropriate HMRC link and form:

http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...nadaindividual
Thank you so much! I will check that now.

To the previous poster - I submitted my P85 on the 1st of October 2018, so just days after we arrived. It took a while for my tax code to be changed, I had to chase HMRC, they hadn't processed anything so finally it was done in December. That's the reason I feel like I need to chase this a bit more, and not just accept their word on a non-refund response.