Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Media Streamer with built in VPN client (for iPlayer)

Media Streamer with built in VPN client (for iPlayer)

Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:29 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Media Streamer with built in VPN client (for iPlayer)

Thought you guys might be interested in this :-

Boxee Box

It has a built in VPN client, so that you can play BBC iPlayer onto the TV with no mucking around.... Tested it and works fine, though I couldn't get the BBC HD streams to play, the standard streams work fine. It will play all manner of downloaded stuff also.

It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment, but they're going to be updating it over the next few weeks to make it more robust (and to add Netflix support).

If they get rid of the bugs, then I think it's $199 well spent...
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media Streamer with built in VPN client (for iPlayer)

So you can watch BBC channels live on the TV? I've gotta say thats pretty neat. I've certainly never seen one that supports actual PPTP VPNs like that, nice find.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:20 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
So you can watch BBC channels live on the TV? I've gotta say thats pretty neat. I've certainly never seen one that supports actual PPTP VPNs like that, nice find.
I haven't tried live - but I have tried the watch again feature on iplayer. I'm assuming the live would work too since it's basically just a flash player in a web browser wrapped by a web app.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Thought you guys might be interested in this :-

Boxee Box

It has a built in VPN client, so that you can play BBC iPlayer onto the TV with no mucking around.... Tested it and works fine, though I couldn't get the BBC HD streams to play, the standard streams work fine. It will play all manner of downloaded stuff also.

It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment, but they're going to be updating it over the next few weeks to make it more robust (and to add Netflix support).

If they get rid of the bugs, then I think it's $199 well spent...
Presumably you still need to pay for a VPN service.

This does look good - I like the idea that it can save any video stream for playback later. If it can handle full 1080p at a decent frame rate with no choppiness or break ups I'd definitely consider something like this. Though I might not need to - is the UI the same as the boxee application you can download for the mac?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:38 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Presumably you still need to pay for a VPN service.

This does look good - I like the idea that it can save any video stream for playback later. If it can handle full 1080p at a decent frame rate with no choppiness or break ups I'd definitely consider something like this. Though I might not need to - is the UI the same as the boxee application you can download for the mac?
Yes, you still have to cough up for the VPN - I use StrongVPN, it worked fine with them.

Like I said, there's some bugs right now - on the whole it works quite well, had no problems with the 1080p files I've tried..... The watch later thing works, but only with sites that the bookmarklet recognises - I managed to get it working with youtube etc though.

The UI has changed from the PC/Mac client and has received a certain amount of consternation on their forums for it. The PC/Mac version will be going the same way shortly though I believe. I don't find it a massive problem - I'm sure it's going to improve as it evolves. Having covers/listings for all of your local files is very nice indeed.

Last edited by G77; Nov 17th 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Having covers/listings for all of your local files is very nice indeed.
Yes, I like that it does that. Especially the full episode name and details.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I have just set up a VPN with these guys. http://www.expatshield.com/ it works well and there is no charge.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

yeah i've got me a boxee box. Still thinking about putting in a proxy or vpn for seesaw and iplayer...expat shield thing works well on the pC. Would it transfer over the settings to the boxee? Hmm will have to check
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Came across this yesterday not sure if it fits the bill for VPN but does have a built in 1 Terabyte hard drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=891

Available at Best Buy in Canada for $219.99.