Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job offer for PR

Job offer for PR

Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Job offer for PR

Hi all , new on here... does anyone know if you need a job offer for the PR card, it says on the form " do you have a job offer " well if we did it takes around 12 months for the PR card ? so the job offer would have lapsed by then, I read you can get arranged employment, we both have ofers of jobs, my wifes is on the list, mine is not ( scaffolder ) but I spoke to the manager ( friend of a friend ) when we were in Halifax and he said he would give me a job soon as we arrive.. little confused as I saw people saying you can't get PR without a job offer... HELP
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer for PR

read the wiki at the top of the page for your options.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration
then ask the specific questions you have

you can't just " apply" for a PR card

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Nov 17th 2010 at 4:09 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply....

so.. we get the job offer.. then apply for residency.. this takes how long ?? not sure their going to keep the job open for months ??
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
Thanks for the reply....

so.. we get the job offer.. then apply for residency.. this takes how long ?? not sure their going to keep the job open for months ??
OK, you're very confused! If your wife has a job on 'the list' then she doesn't need a job offer to apply, and if eligible (i.e. she has enough points, passes the medical, enough money for proof of funds etc) then you would both get Canadian Permanent Residency.

Once you have PR, you can then apply for any job in Canada as you have all the rights of a citizen except being able to vote or run for public office.

Alternatively, for people that do need a job offer (i.e. their job is not on the list), they usually go over first on a Temporary Work Permit, and then upgrade that to PR at a later date because as you rightly say, it's unlikely an employer would be prepared to wait a year or so for you to be able to start work.

Grab a cuppa, read the Wiki and the CIC website and then hopefully it will all make sense.

Good luck.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much.. thats eased ours minds... ok, off for a coffee and onwards.... my wife is a planning engineer ( oil and Gas ) so thats cool..
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much.. thats eased ours minds... ok, off for a coffee and onwards.... my wife is a planning engineer ( oil and Gas ) so thats cool..
Coffee, or beer may be even better!

So which NOC code does that come under? Is it definitely one of the 29 that are eligible for Skilled Worker visa without a job offer?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 17th 2010 at 4:41 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:03 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Coffee, or beer may be even better!

So which NOC code does that come under? Is it definitely one of the 29 that are eligible for Skilled Worker visa without a job offer?

Methinks the OP should re-read the list: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list As there are no Engineering positions on the list. Engineer Oil and Gas is NOC 2145 probably. So either or would require either an Approved Employment option or a LMO and then apply for a work permit.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by PMM
Methinks the OP should re-read the list: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list As there are no Engineering positions on the list. Engineer Oil and Gas is NOC 2145 probably. So either or would require either an Approved Employment option or a LMO and then apply for a work permit.
That was my thought, I was worried they were looking at an old version of the list when 2145 was on it and didn't realise it was removed in June.

But I did wonder if maybe they thought she'd be eligible under 8222 if she has a supervisory role? Let's hope so!

Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:34 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That was my thought, I was worried they were looking at an old version of the list when 2145 was on it and didn't realise it was removed in June.

But I did wonder if maybe they thought she'd be eligible under 8222 if she has a supervisory role? Let's hope so!

Unless she has been out working on the rigs, that is about the only way to qualify for this one.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Yes she has infact worked offshore ( on the rigs ) she is a planning engineer, which it seems isnt on the list... looks like we will have to go the work visa route... do you need to sit the IELTS language course for this ?
Her old boss is in Canada and we have spoke to him, so the "job offer " is no problem, just we thought of going the PR route straight away, as were in no mad rush to get over ie. anytime next 2 years would be fine..
Thanks...
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help everyone, I am on the skills list "B " does this allow me to apply under the PR route ?? now I'm really confused
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for all the help everyone, I am on the skills list "B " does this allow me to apply under the PR route ?? now I'm really confused
Not unless you have a job offer, only jobs on the list of 29 can apply without. Either of you can apply as a Skilled Worker with a job offer, but note that the job offer must be approved by HRSDC.

So, your plan would look something like this - get your/your wife's potential boss to apply for the Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC (to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do it). Once they have the LMO you can go over on a Temporary Work Permit, and then use the LMO to apply as a Skilled Worker under category 2 (arranged employment).

All of this info is in the Wiki by the way, so I would recommend you have a read of it to understand the basics of Canadian immigration.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the advice, so.. what about going on a 6 month holiday visa , if we get offered a job whilst on holiday is the Temp work visa obtainable ? sorry for annoying you but the more I read , the more confused I get... great forum this
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:54 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the advice, so.. what about going on a 6 month holiday visa , if we get offered a job whilst on holiday is the Temp work visa obtainable ? sorry for annoying you but the more I read , the more confused I get... great forum this
The truth is - it is all incredibly confusing! This forum is an extraordinary source of information and willing and informed advice. I would agree with the more sage and wiser contributors on here: Go and read as much as you can stand, then ask one small, specific question at a time. It really is a process of baby steps!!

Good luck....
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again for the advice, so.. what about going on a 6 month holiday visa , if we get offered a job whilst on holiday is the Temp work visa obtainable ?
So why can you not use the job offer your wife has already got from her previous boss that you mentioned earlier?

The scenario above is obtainable, but personally I wouldn't go for 6 months - just because you are unlikely to find a job, and get the LMO in that timescale anyway, and if you go for 6 months I assume you'd have to give up work in the UK? So I'm not sure it's worth it, you'd probably have to return to the UK after 6 months and may not have been succesful.

Go for a 2 or 3 week holiday, follow the Job Hunting advice in the Wiki and fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.