Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It it me? Or is the Canadian Immigration System a joke?

It it me? Or is the Canadian Immigration System a joke?

Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It it me? Or is the Canadian Immigration System a joke?

Originally Posted by english-boy
I think I am overly negative. And as much as it may upset people I never had any intention to immigrate to Canada. Its my wifes (and children's) country.
I have been told that I must become a resident, assuming that they will allow that after they have processed it (this I have no reason to believe they would not of course) – I have been quoted 9 months outside Canada and 24 – 36 months within Canada. As in the long run we would not be staying in Canada, Residency is time consuming and once completed lapses if you leave for an exstended time making it seem pointless.
Your basic problem is if you come to Canada before sponsorship/ PR is approved you cant work for 6-9 months until the process reaches approval in principal, and if you wait in the UK and keep an income coming in then it takes a bit longer.

Not sure of timeframes, but I thought London was pretty fast now, less than a year if you decide to stay in the UK until all the paperwork is formalised.

As for staying on in Canada, if you are married to a Canadian you can leave any time and be with her and not loose your PR status, so really its not nearly as bad for you as you are making out. Even for normal PRs you only need to live here three years and to pass a stupid test to get citizenship, then you can come and go as you please. There are many people waiting a lot longer and jumping through more hoops than you are, and for a canadian spouse trying to return to the UK with their british partner its harder for them to enter the job market I believe.