Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maybe I am just not employable?

Maybe I am just not employable?

Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe I am just not employable?

Here is my blunt interpretation/translation.

Over the decades I have been the recipient of this type of letter which is well-intended, designed to cheer you up and encourage you but not to be taken all that seriously.

But, on a positive note you are now in their system so if and when you apply again at least you are not a completely unknown quantity.

Thank you for sending your resume. The overall response was very high, both in quality and quantity, and the shortlist interview selection has been particularly difficult.

We got a ton of resumes and to put it bluntly this is the usual case of an embarrassment of riches. Sorry but this time around you did not make the cut!

While your background and experience are impressive, some candidates had qualifications which more specifically met our clients' requirements. We are writing to advise you that unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful in this instance.

Relax, you are still pretty good but there are a few who came much closer to meeting the job profile.

While at this time we are not able to assist you in your job search, we would like to thank you for your interest and for taking the time to submit your application.

Do not get discouraged, try again next time buddy, do not give up, eventually you are bound to find something somewhere

Last edited by montreal mike; Oct 1st 2013 at 3:10 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lookingtogo
JSmith - You are not unemployable. Some times it just takes different lengths of time to work through what you want to get to. Take the advice offered, but also don't let it affect who you are - and how you see yourself. We are wishing you well.
agreed 100%
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a voice mail today from one of Canada's airlines. I had applied for Vancouver but not hiring there, but are in Edmonton...lol...I just have no way of relocating at this time.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I got a voice mail today from one of Canada's airlines. I had applied for Vancouver but not hiring there, but are in Edmonton...lol...I just have no way of relocating at this time.
Do you want to take the job? If you could get there, would you be able to find somewhere to stay initially?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do you want to take the job? If you could get there, would you be able to find somewhere to stay initially?
I would like to work for an airline again, and it would be something I would enjoy. Just not sure how to accomplish it without the necessary funds.

They would require an in person interview in Alberta, and then I would need to come back to BC, and be able to move if hired, housing etc, and I just have no funds to do it, Grehound one way is more then I have left in the bank...lol
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to work for an airline again, and it would be something I would enjoy. Just not sure how to accomplish it without the necessary funds.

They would require an in person interview in Alberta, and then I would need to come back to BC, and be able to move if hired, housing etc, and I just have no funds to do it, Grehound one way is more then I have left in the bank...lol
What about a non-profit place, but in a paid position? I met an English bloke last week that worked for one, he was not the most presentable or fit looking person and I wouldn't have hired him to wash the toilets but they did and they seemed very happy with him. Then there is the parking bloke on Granville Island, he stinks of shit, says "bye jingo" a lot and dribbles down his chin but he's been there for over a year.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 1st 2013 at 9:47 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

A move is always a big proposition. At least the airline is calling you back, and maybe they will have something similar in Vancouver in the future.

However if it's a job that you'd move for, you could perhaps try asking the airline if they could interview you in Vancouver for the Edmonton role? And if you get it, go.

Oink's idea (despite the ridiculous examples) is not a bad one to consider too.

You're making progress, keep at it while you can!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What about a non-profit place, but in a paid position? I met an English bloke last week that worked for one, he was not the most presentable or fit looking person and I wouldn't have hired him to wash the toilets but they did and they seemed very happy with him. Then there is the parking bloke on Granville Island, he stinks of shit, says "bye jingo" a lot and dribbles down his chin but he's been there for over a year.
With that in mind, there's a couple of good websites for not-for-profit (charities mostly) jobs. http://www.workinnonprofits.ca/index?sel=lj and https://charityvillage.com/jobs/sear...jws=&searchId= - not saying the jobs are necessarily what you are looking for, but it might be worth registering.

Originally Posted by Shard
A move is always a big proposition. At least the airline is calling you back, and maybe they will have something similar in Vancouver in the future.

However if it's a job that you'd move for, you could perhaps try asking the airline if they could interview you in Vancouver for the Edmonton role? And if you get it, go.

Oink's idea (despite the ridiculous examples) is not a bad one to consider too.

You're making progress, keep at it while you can!
Excellent idea!

Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
However if it's a job that you'd move for, you could perhaps try asking the airline if they could interview you in Vancouver for the Edmonton role?
And enquire if they would consider interview by Skype? For those jobs not paying executive salaries, it would be unreasonable to ask someone to come 1100km for an interview for a basic-paying job...
Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

When OH had to go to Canada for his job interview he asked the company to pay the flight/hotel costs. They agreed on the condition that they would only pay if he got the job or didn't get it because they found someone better. If he decided not to take it they would not pay.

His initial interview was via phone.

Agree with the others, ask if they could interview you in Vancouver, let them know how much you'd love the job and if they agree ask during the interview if they have a policy for paying for relocation.

Otherwise the non profit organisations are a good idea. My friend started as a volunteer and after a while asked to be paid and they agreed.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:12 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

bite their hand off . worry about the details later

stop looking for excuses
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
bite their hand off . worry about the details later

stop looking for excuses
That is rather a harsh comment, particularly if you take the time to read over some of the OP's posts and understand that he is not exaggerating when he states that the bus fare alone would cost more than he has.

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

I found it very hard to find work in YVR every time I went for an interview they aske me if I can speak Chinese of course I can 33 46 58 what's that they say fried rice sweat and sour and pork dumplings.
That's why I got a job in YYC seven years ago one thing I was told was to dumb down my resume.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That is rather a harsh comment, particularly if you take the time to read over some of the OP's posts and understand that he is not exaggerating when he states that the bus fare alone would cost more than he has.

Isn't that what credit cards are for; surely not everyone uses them to buy toys?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has some mental health issues that alone will make it very hard for him to get himself up and go. What might be a smooth ride for you might be the bumpiest road ever for him.

Not everybody has spare cash, a credit card or a line of credit. Or maybe it's all maxed because he's unemployed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.