Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maybe I am just not employable?

Maybe I am just not employable?

Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maybe I am just not employable?

I am starting to think that maybe I am just not employable in today's job market.

Aside from heavy manual labor which I cannot do due to back and knee issues, I haven't been all that picky about where I have been applying.

I looked through my notes today as I track every resume that goes out since if I need to get assistance, I know they will require proof of a job search.

I apply to basically everything from retail, fast food, gas stations, hotels, and pretty much everything in between.

I know my lack of education hurts me, simply grade 12, and 1 college class. And my work experience is limited, airline and hotel related.

But this is just starting to become ridiculous with no interviews coming in at all, usually I can get some, but this time around nothing.

I've always struggled in the job market, but have never experienced this level of difficulty before.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe I am just not employable?

Don't talk yourself down. Maybe nobody has discovered your employability ( I know it's not a word) yet, maybe the wrong people looked at your resume, maybe the resume or letter wasn't convincing enough. I had times where I just got "sorry Mrs W. good luck for your future" letters and then there were times where I could pick and choose.

Everybody is employable. You just have to find the right job, the right people, sell yourself right and believe in your abilities whatever they are!!!!

Good luck!!!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is your resume? and your cover letter?

Perhaps they are holding you back?

I have worked for some 15 different places in my lifetime and i must have spent dozens, nea hundreds, of hours, polishing it

Do some research on Wiki and Monster and look at the many styles and formats

Nowadays humans are not reading resumes all the time

Machines do it for them first looking for key words

Plus a resume must be tailored for the job requirements and advert so the standard resume no longer works

the good news is that you have time on your hands so use it wisely

and good luck

Last edited by montreal mike; Sep 27th 2013 at 2:39 am.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:58 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

what skills do you have?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
what skills do you have?
None really that is likely a huge issue. I can do basic computer stuff but nothing fancy.

All my work experience is in airlines (loading planes, weight and balance, operations) and hotels (night auditor) so everything I've learned are specific to these industries and roles which don't translate well into other industries.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
None really that is likely a huge issue. I can do basic computer stuff but nothing fancy.

All my work experience is in airlines (loading planes, weight and balance, operations) and hotels (night auditor) so everything I've learned are specific to these industries and roles which don't translate well into other industries.
so what?

you are not applying for a job such as a nuclear scientist or a neurosurgeon

skills are an overrated commodity anyways

what you need to stress is that you are able to work and you that you show promise

do not short sell yourself
Old Sep 27th 2013, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

If you haven't worked in Canada before, you lack 'Canadian Experience' in the eyes of many employers. As you will probably need to be looking at entry-level/unskilled jobs - to get over your lack of skills and lack of the dreaded Canuckian experience-schmexperience, then maybe should do one of two things.

1. Lower your expectations and/or be realistic. I came here a year ago. After 2 months of nothing I thought 'sod this' and found a job as a backshift commercial cleaner - crappy money but working indoors and paid the bills and it's now leading to management level where I can use the skills I have from the UK in facilities management.

2. Hit the street and pound the pavement. Knock on doors and ask people to their faces. Have your resume in hand. People will respect the effort and the personal touch.

Above all - don't be downhearted and don't put yourself down. Have courage!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:59 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
skills are an overrated commodity anyways
Every job, no matter what level, requires skills.

The "unskilled job" is a misnomer.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

If you have worked in hotels before, can you not get back into that? Even if it is a slightly different role? How about hospital staff?

Does your resume mention your health issues? How is it different from the last time you used it and were able to get interviews?

Last edited by Shard; Sep 27th 2013 at 1:15 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Every job, no matter what level, requires skills.

The "unskilled job" is a misnomer.
It's probably a euphemism for "low-skilled".
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can highly recommend the book "what colour is your parachute"

it will help identify where you are going wrong with job searches/applications and help you identify your skills. The most important thing is to understand how to maximize your chances by understanding the hiring culture.

For example, responding to job adverts online has one of the lowest chances of success.

No. 1 in canada is knowing the right people. People will always go with a personal recommendation than hiring a more qualified applicant that they havent met before. Tell everyone you meet that you are looking for a job and have them talk to people on your behalf.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

A lot will depend on the resume and how it sounds. You have to make it sound fancier than it is I.e. not baggage handler but Fleet Service Agent. Not weight and balance but Operations load control. etc. Make whatever you have done sound fancy. Stick to what you can do and don't tell them you could do more than you can but what you can do make it sound wow! Try to point out how the skills you've gained at previous jobs can be transferred to a role you are applying for. Like planning, working to a tight timeline, scheduling, organising, reliable etc.

Go on the job sites and see what they are looking for and use some of their wording.

Good luck, keep trying and never give up! It's not you not being employable but like it was said by others, maybe your resume is too general or sounds too low skilled or not the right people looked at your resume. Also agree with chanceUK here it is a lot about whom you know and networking.

Good luck and chin up!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe you are unemployable for one second, I do however think you are depressed and lacking in self confidence. From all of your postings on here you sound like a reasonable, kind and non judgemental individual, and I would be happy to have you as a co-worker. I hit a bit of an 'I'm not employable' wall at the end of last winter, and it was like a black pit.

I do think Montreal Mike might have a good point with regard to your Resume. When you are feeling low, you aren't the best judge of your own best points. Do you have a decent friend to read it, or would you be happy to send it to someone on here? There are many on here who I am sure would be happy to assist....I'd offer myself, but I don't have enough experience with Canadian Resumes. My very best wishes.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone honestly believe that the OP's situation will be remedied by making the resume sound "more fancy"? I would imagine that the low skilled workforce he is competing with are likely to have resumes that look just like his.

The OP needs to improve his skills. This may require him to return to school. I don't know, but I suspect that doing so may assist him with his mental issues too.

What do I know?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:18 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Does anyone honestly believe that the OP's situation will be remedied by making the resume sound "more fancy"? I would imagine that the low skilled workforce he is competing with are likely to have resumes that look just like his.

The OP needs to improve his skills. This may require him to return to school. I don't know, but I suspect that doing so may assist him with his mental issues too.

What do I know?
The resume is a starting point if JS is not getting interviews. I agree it doesn't need to be "made more fancy" but given his usual "frankness", it would be important that the resume doesn't send any red flags out. Millie's suggestion of seeking feedback was a good one.

It might or might not be about retraining (skill improvement) it might be finding a way to network or approach employers directly. Although, obviously, this is not an easy thing for everyone to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.