British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Maybe changing my mind.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/maybe-changing-my-mind-833860/)

JamesM May 15th 2014 3:21 am

Re: Maybe changing my mind....

Originally Posted by dodgeroo (Post 11260536)
Thanks everyone, I know you are right! comments have really helped... A lot of friends keep saying oh you are really brave and then saying they couldn't do it....

My qualification has been assessed by canadian association of sw as being equivalent to a canadian Masters of social work Bats, thanks.

I came at 30.

I find it a little limited career wise and could definitely make more in London.

Normally I'd say give it a shot but in your situation and in all honesty I think it could be a horrendous move. I have a friend who has all the social work qualifications and has not found work here. Social Work is not a skills shortage at all over here.

JamesM May 15th 2014 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11260719)
I suppose some people start knobbing a Canadain abroad and figure thats the best they can do so follow them over. Seems a high price to pay though. ;)

I fell in love with a Hooters bird. The rest is history.......

Photoplex May 15th 2014 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11260790)
It sounds like he needs to work though.

I spent several years travelling the world, working casual jobs along the way to make ends meet. I would never call it anything other than several years of vacation. The two are not mutually exclusive.

MrFloyd May 15th 2014 8:48 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11260909)
We have Christmas here - albeit without Chris DeBurgh's "A spaceman came travelling" or Slade. Christmas trees are cheaper.

Deal.

beckiwoo May 15th 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by dodgeroo (Post 11260809)
I spent several summers in canada when I was a student back in 2004/5 and really liked it. I always said I'd live to go back and work for a year if I had the chance.

I guess I am in a rut and it would be fun to do something different for a bit but at the same time, have a good job in a good team.. Social Work so hit and miss you never know what your team will be like. At the same time I'm not sure I want to do child protection social work anymore, I've only been doing it for 2.5 years but I'm wanting a change. I worry about silly things like christmas. :huh:

I'm the same, I'm in a similar area to you being a care worker in children's residential for over 3 years now. Although I love working within this area I have had enough of the long hours, sleep ins and bringing my work home with me.

There is plenty of work for me in the UK and not so much in Canada but it is my chance to try something new and maybe make something of it whether that be for a 1 year, 2 years or permanently.

I think you said you were 31? So we are similar in age and at this time when some people believe you should be 'settled' but that's not always the case.

Just go for it, if you get out the and think this isn't for me at least you gave it a go. :)

Can't help you with Christmas I am afraid, I don't like it very much although will miss my family

dodgeroo May 15th 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks becki same here! I'm thinking of going to BC..... Where are you headed?

beckiwoo May 15th 2014 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeroo (Post 11261565)
Thanks becki same here! I'm thinking of going to BC..... Where are you headed?

Same, Vancouver initially

Oink May 15th 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11261515)
I'm the same, I'm in a similar area to you being a care worker in children's residential for over 3 years now. Although I love working within this area I have had enough of the long hours, sleep ins and bringing my work home with me.

There is plenty of work for me in the UK and not so much in Canada but it is my chance to try something new and maybe make something of it whether that be for a 1 year, 2 years or permanently.

I think you said you were 31? So we are similar in age and at this time when some people believe you should be 'settled' but that's not always the case.

Just go for it, if you get out the and think this isn't for me at least you gave it a go. :)

Can't help you with Christmas I am afraid, I don't like it very much although will miss my family

But blink and you'll be a unsettled 40ish with no house and no career. You better think carefully.

dodgeroo May 15th 2014 1:08 pm

Not if I only go for a year... There's always sw jobs in uk.

Oink May 15th 2014 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeroo (Post 11261643)

Sounds as if your mind is been made up. Then go for it and enjoy it. :thumbup:

MrFloyd May 15th 2014 1:45 pm

Indeed. If you don't go now, you likely never will. What do you desire?

Vulcanoid May 15th 2014 2:10 pm

Exactly. One year, experience. If you love it, try to find a way to stay longer. If you don't, you've spent about 1% of your life on an adventure, and can return to your possibilities back home.

beckiwoo May 15th 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11261633)
But blink and you'll be a unsettled 40ish with no house and no career. You better think carefully.

Seriously? What a negative load of tosh!

dodgeroo May 15th 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks. I'll only have about 3300 dollars when I arrive, not much for Vancouver is it without a job lined up?

Vulcanoid May 15th 2014 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeroo (Post 11261818)
Thanks. I'll only have about 3300 dollars when I arrive, not much for Vancouver is it without a job lined up?

well (to state the obvious) it's more than the minimum - which they say is needed to cover the first 3 months - although people have posted on forums & fb that you can go through that very fast. It'll probably depend a lot on if your attitude is that you want carer/social work work, or if you're happy to take anything that gives you a paycheck.

dodgeroo May 15th 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah, I'll be willing to take anything to start. Thanks:fingerscrossed:

Vulcanoid May 15th 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeroo (Post 11261844)
Yeah, I'll be willing to take anything to start. Thanks:fingerscrossed:

In that case, I'd say really go for it - BC is amazing (I'm starting there), and worst case scenario it's a year's holiday. You might not be able to work in social work in Canada, but you can be confident of getting another job when you come home - so it's really your last chance for a great opportunity. Enjoy! :)

Lychee May 15th 2014 5:41 pm

I think it's fair to say, set your expectations accordingly. Find a job. Any job. Don't expect to find a job as a social worker. If you do, it's a bonus, but don't count on it. You're coming here for a one year working vacation. Enjoy it while you have it! It'll go fast. :)

By the way, if you need inspiration, look up http://stophavingaboringlife.com/

mazmataz May 15th 2014 5:47 pm

I arrived with 3000 dollars and didn't get a full time job for three months. I had a couple of weeks temping work before then, and found a room for 400 a month so that all helped. I wasn't scrimping either, I had a good time in those three months, went snowboarding every other weekend and managed to cover Christmas. Totally do-able.

I've been away for two Christmases now. I'm not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to spending this next one at home. However the last two in Vancouver have been really special. I've had two 'orphans' Christmases, where a load of us in the same boat just chipped in for a Christmas meal and had a wicked day. I wouldn't do it forever, but it's good to spend at least one Christmas away I think. :starsmile:

Novocastrian May 15th 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mazmataz (Post 11262038)

I've been away for two Christmases now. I'm not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to spending this next one at home. However the last two in Vancouver have been really special. I've had two 'orphans' Christmases, where a load of us in the same boat just chipped in for a Christmas meal and had a wicked day. I wouldn't do it forever, but it's good to spend at least one Christmas away I think. :starsmile:

Avoiding extended family Christmases was one of my main reasons for emigrating.

magnumpi May 15th 2014 6:55 pm

Maybe stay with Oink for a few weeks, his bubbly enthusiasm for all things Canadian is bound to rub off on the OP and have him/her a job in no time at all

mazmataz May 15th 2014 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11262169)
Maybe stay with Oink for a few weeks, his bubbly enthusiasm for all things Canadian is bound to rub off on the OP and have him/her a job in no time at all

:thumb:

Photoplex May 15th 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11262169)

I swear Oink is this chap (One for the older generations for sure)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...arnett-008.jpg

Sally Redux May 15th 2014 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11262178)

Oink won the BE award for Best Male Crumpet 2013.

iaink May 15th 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11262178)

More like this guy of late IMO...

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/p...d%20wilson.jpg

beckiwoo May 15th 2014 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 11262187)

:rofl:

Novocastrian May 15th 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11262185)
Oink won the BE award for Best Male Crumpet 2013.

Yeah, but he voted for himself.

Sally Redux May 15th 2014 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11262287)
Yeah, but he voted for himself.

"It's sex with someone you love."

Novocastrian May 15th 2014 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11262346)
"It's sex with someone you love."

The K-button says I've got to spread it around. :)

Sally Redux May 15th 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11262378)
The K-button says I've got to spread it around. :)

May 4th - you must be particularly judicious with your gifts :D

Novocastrian May 15th 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11262385)
May 4th - you must be particularly judicious with your gifts :D

I know, I think there's a glitch on the system. It surprised me too.

Novocastrian May 15th 2014 10:38 pm

Likely or not, it just happened again. :confused:

Sally Redux May 15th 2014 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11262398)
Likely or not, it just happened again. :confused:

It's the thought that counts :D

Novocastrian May 15th 2014 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11262403)
It's the thought that counts :D

Maybe I could try sending Oink some K, but really! One palls at such extreme measures.

Sally Redux May 16th 2014 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11262438)
Maybe I could try sending Oink some K, but really! One palls at such extreme measures.

Needs must when the Devil drives.

Oink May 16th 2014 3:41 pm

Sorry if I came over as a bit of a sourpuss but you need to have a think about it before you make such a commitment and be careful you don't succumb to optimism bias.

dodgeroo May 17th 2014 3:51 pm

No worries Oink you are right, I appreciate a balanced view, as I don't think it's all gonna be perfect.