Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maybe changing my mind....

Maybe changing my mind....

Old May 14th 2014, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

dodgeroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maybe changing my mind....

I was due to head off to canada at the end of July in an IEC visa. I don't know anyone there and would be going alone and this fact has suddenly terrified me and I think I'm probably going to stay here. I have a decentish job here as a social worker and no signs of getting one there, it feels like it would be pointless to leave all my friends and family for a dream of going there and not being able to get a job. I feel sad that it's not going to happen now..... I just think I'd find adjusting with no friends really tough esp as I've read of others finding it so hard to make friends......

Any thoughts anyone? Anyone else felt this way?
Old May 14th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: Maybe changing my mind....

Originally Posted by dodgeroo
I was due to head off to canada at the end of July in an IEC visa. I don't know anyone there and would be going alone and this fact has suddenly terrified me and I think I'm probably going to stay here. I have a decentish job here as a social worker and no signs of getting one there, it feels like it would be pointless to leave all my friends and family for a dream of going there and not being able to get a job. I feel sad that it's not going to happen now..... I just think I'd find adjusting with no friends really tough esp as I've read of others finding it so hard to make friends......

Join sports clubs, expat groups etc.
Old May 14th 2014, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

There's pushing yourself outside your comfort zone, and then there is scaring the crap out of yourself to the point to misery! Where do you sit?

Can you do other things to build a network or make this an easier transition for yourself either this year or later? Is there anyone else who might consider going with you, either this year or later?

Are you they type of person who will forever regret not going, or can you shrug and say "it's all good"?

Will you easily get your job back or a similar position as and when and if you return to the UK? Is yours a great job that you love, or an OK job that could be replaced without too much soul-searching?

Nerves and misgivings are OK - it's what makes it exciting and an adventure and can be likely to push you to do things you wouldn't normally have done. Only you know how deep that "it terrifies me" bit runs.

Good luck - bite the bullet - or don't. There's no right decision and no wrong. Canada is not nirvana but it sure could be a fun way to spend a year or two when you are young and have no ties. And there's lots of you around
Old May 14th 2014, 1:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The smart move. Create different dreams.
Old May 14th 2014, 1:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think virtually everyone (other than coming with some family here) comes to a blank slate and somehow we get by.

Its a matter of expectations and what you hope will come of the move. IEC is really just a look see, there should be no expectation of it leading to a permanent move, although that can happen.

I guess some cold feet in the lead up is inevitable. You need to revisit your list of pros and cons and whatever motivation you had to apply in the first place, and decide for yourself what is important to you and how much you value the stability of your current situation over the uncertainty of whatever the IEC may bring.
Old May 14th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

sazzle.pops is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same position as you, I'm heading out in November, that's what also terrifies me the most about going.
But you will meet people, you just need to push yourself out of your comfort zone to do it.

For my its it my dream to be there and spend at least 6 months in the mountains, if I don't like it, I just come home, that's the great thing with the IEC.

If I do get a job it most likely wont be in my chosen profession (Marketing) or if it is I'm fully prepared to have to start at the bottom.

It just depends on the reasons for why you are going.
Old May 14th 2014, 2:23 pm
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

You're looking at it the wrong way. It's not a "Oh my god! I am never coming back, this is it, a 1 way ticket from everything I know!!" thing...

It's more of a "WOW! I get to be on a 1 year vacation and see a whole amazing country, from beaches, to mountains, to cities, to northern lights"

Perspective. You don't have to stay here. If you hate it, leave after a month. It's not a prison sentence.
Old May 14th 2014, 2:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why waste the money and a good job just to go somewhere more rubbishy without a job, friends and family?
Old May 14th 2014, 2:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What is "the dream" you see about Canada? What do you think/dream Canada will offer you that isn't available where you are?

Maybe it's not Canada itself that's the dream, you just want a change from a rut you're in.
Old May 14th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

More rubbishy oink? Where do you live and why do you feel it's more rubbishy?

Thanks everyone for replies I think I like the idea of it but in reality it may not be all that.
Old May 14th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

More rubbishy oink? Where do you live and why do you feel it's more rubbishy?

Thanks everyone for replies I think I like the idea of it but in reality it may not be all that.
It'll be the same, just in a different location.
Old May 14th 2014, 3:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Someone once told me:

don't regret the things you have done, regret the things you haven't done

You can always come back and rebuild your life again. Due to the fact you only have up until your 30 for an IEC, is it not worth taking the risk?
Old May 14th 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

As I thought Arthurbrit.

Good point becki I am 31 and I have the visa from last year until 7 July to activate it, after that, never another chance, and given how hard it is to get into canada, probably my only chance ever..
Old May 14th 2014, 4:44 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

If it's just temporary then I'd say go for it. You can always go back if it goes t*t's up. It's always good to broaden your horizons. If it's with the intention of establishing yourself permanently then you probably need to do more planning and make sure you bring lot's of cash. It's not the like it was forty or fifty years ago when you could come here with a few dollars and easily find work and establish yourself.
Old May 14th 2014, 4:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you have looked into whether or not your qualifications will be accepted here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.