Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mastercard DEBIT

Mastercard DEBIT

Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mastercard DEBIT

Any thoughts please...

RBS has just changed our Maestro cards on our current accounts to Mastercard DEBIT!!
In the initial few weeks of having them a couple of times the shops machines declined our cards - very embarassing!
When we spoke to the bank they said that it was a new type of card and that not all shops had updated their software to read them!!! Not very helpful!
Anyway, we're over in Canada in May and our bank has reassured us that we can use the cards over there with no problem but does anybody have experience of Mastercard DEBIT in Canada as we don't want to be in a situation where we either don't have enough money with us (don't like / use credit cards) or the embarassement of them being declined!
Thanks for your thoughts...
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: Mastercard DEBIT

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Any thoughts please...

RBS has just changed our Maestro cards on our current accounts to Mastercard DEBIT!!
In the initial few weeks of having them a couple of times the shops machines declined our cards - very embarassing!
When we spoke to the bank they said that it was a new type of card and that not all shops had updated their software to read them!!! Not very helpful!
Anyway, we're over in Canada in May and our bank has reassured us that we can use the cards over there with no problem but does anybody have experience of Mastercard DEBIT in Canada as we don't want to be in a situation where we either don't have enough money with us (don't like / use credit cards) or the embarassement of them being declined!
Whilst slightly different, my UK bank upgraded to Visa Debit from Maestro and we are currently in BC. When I have used them, they are accepted but the chip & PIN does not work so we have to sign for them the old fashioned way.

I also have a UK AMEX card which everyone is amazed over here has a Chip & PIN - again it doesn't work we have to sign for them in the old fashioned way!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:02 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Our First Direct card works here if they treat it as if it was a credit card, otherwise if gets rejected.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

BMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant future

Any thoughts please...

Hi there,

They have just changed mine to a Visa Debit but I haven't even used in the UK yet. Please post how you get on with your card as we will be over in June, so will be good to know.
Thanks
BMM69
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:47 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

My UK Abbey card has been Visa debit for the last couple of years, here in Canada I tell cashiers that it's a credit card, it works fine. It's also chip and pin, more chip and pin machines will be in use here by the Summer.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:54 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure the cashiers over here put it through as a credit card and it should be fine. Debit works differently over here.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian visa card (Desjardins) is chip & PIN. I've had it for a year and only had to use the PIN a few times (always the same grocery store).
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:21 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Mine works fine here.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

As long as your card states something like Cirrus on the back you can use it abroad (I am sure there are other symbols for foreign use too). I know that when using your debit card abroad your transaction is treated like a credit card as far as the tills are concerned.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:13 am
Just Joined

adrianv is an unknown quantity at this point

Or have an alternative e.g. Mastercard credit card - set up a direct debit to pay off the full amount every month to ensure you never pay interest.

Or switch to a bank that uses Visa debit. IIRC I thought Natwest and RBS were switching to Visa Debit because of problems with Switch/Maestro/Mastercard Debit (think they are all names for the same system).
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

ok MC is fine over there,

everywhere I went. they looked at my Barclays Debit card , which had Visa written on it and tried to say it was a credit card.

A lot of shops take Debit cards, all the main bank ATM machines will take UK cards, visa, mc, amex etc

you wont have a problem, actually I never ever saw a Mastro sign, but plenty of MC / PLUS / VISA signs

you'll be fine !

Any thoughts please...

Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

They will see VISA (even on a debit card) AS a credit card and there machines wont accept it. EVEN if its a debit card.

MOST shops DONT take credit card but will take debit.

MC signs are all over the place the OP wont have a problem

<edited to add>

some big shops take credit/debit.. small outlets only debit

Originally Posted by adrianv
Or have an alternative e.g. Mastercard credit card - set up a direct debit to pay off the full amount every month to ensure you never pay interest.

Or switch to a bank that uses Visa debit. IIRC I thought Natwest and RBS were switching to Visa Debit because of problems with Switch/Maestro/Mastercard Debit (think they are all names for the same system).
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

yup Cirrus is another one which works

and correct they treat your card as a credit card as far as tills are concerned

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
As long as your card states something like Cirrus on the back you can use it abroad (I am sure there are other symbols for foreign use too). I know that when using your debit card abroad your transaction is treated like a credit card as far as the tills are concerned.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

They are actually getting rid of the Maestro card too which is why RBS have changed this one. Not sure when but they will be no more soon leaving
Visa Credit
Visa Debit
Mastercard Credit
Mastercard Debit
Visa Electron (taking over all solo cards)

There is also recognition for UK Visa debit and International Visa debit....I mean they will register a different way on some sites.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the merchant accepts Master Card you will be fine, however it will be like others have said processed as a credit card and not a debit card with PIN.

I never came across a merchant in Canada who did not accept credit cards, only the smallest of places wont, just carry some cash with you.