Reload this Page >

Electrician going to Canada?

Electrician going to Canada?

Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

chris_71080 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician going to Canada?

Hello,

When I first came to this site my initial choice of destinations were the states and Australia. I've not written off Australia but with the advice I've been given, America seems improbable. I have been advised to look at Canada though as an alternative.

So I'm after some help on the following questions:

1) As an electrician, what is the normal process for being able to work over there.

2) Obviously Canada is a French and English speaking country and my limited ability to speak french wouldn't be enough to get me by in a predominantly French speaking area. Where are the best places to live?

3) What costs are involved in gaining permanent residency to Canada and how difficult/long is the process?

4) If/when I become a permanent resident of Canada, what are my restrictions when visiting the states? Do they differ from the UK?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

haman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician going to Canada?

I can answer some of your questions
there is no restrictions in terms of travelling to US for PR holders
If you do not know french that much try to go to the west of the country they are English speaking.
For electricians you need to get a license to be able to work here
hope thease help
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris_71080
1) As an electrician, what is the normal process for being able to work over there.

You need to be able to prove your ability. A qualification like Red Seal would help, though it's not necessarily essential to secure work. In the current labour market, the better able you are to be able to show your ability via references and qualifications, the more likely you'll find an employer willing to give you a go.

2) Obviously Canada is a French and English speaking country and my limited ability to speak french wouldn't be enough to get me by in a predominantly French speaking area. Where are the best places to live?

'Best' meaning what?

3) What costs are involved in gaining permanent residency to Canada and how difficult/long is the process?

I suggest you immerse yourself in some of the Wiki articles on the best routes to gain PR.

4) If/when I become a permanent resident of Canada, what are my restrictions when visiting the states? Do they differ from the UK?

As a PR, you're still a UK citizen and therefore beholden to the same rules and regulations concerning entry to the US whether you live in Canada or the UK.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

chris_71080 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best as in mostly populated by English speaking canadians and also the areas of canada that have the warmer climates
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Best as in mostly populated by English speaking canadians and also the areas of canada that have the warmer climates
English speaking = Anywhere other than Quebec and parts of New Brunswick.
Warmer Climates = summer, anywhere inland. Year round? BC.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

rschatha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Currently you occupation IS on the LIST, so you can apply for FSW Cat1, you will need to prove 12 months of continous experiance. Good Luck
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Southern Ontario and southern and south western BC. Where the Canadian vineyards are.