MASS EXODUS ?

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:53 am
Just Joined

jonnytest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MASS EXODUS ?

Something is stirring in the UK and Ireland at the moment..... I am the Manager of a company here in Vancouver who up until lately has been looking for trades workers to come and work for us in BC. I have advertised on this website. Last Friday we had a worker arrive over from Lancaster, we have another guy coming in 4 weeks with his family from Exeter. An Irish guy expected to arrive in the New Year... Now I am flooded....
In the last 2 weeks I have had an average of 2 phonecalls or emails a day from people trying to escape the coming recession. Today I had 4 people contact me. Infact I have had to create a generic response to all the emails. They have mostly told me that they have come across our website while surfing the web and most say they are trying to escape the future economic collapse... I know of other companies in Vancouver who are experiencing the same thing.....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:59 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MASS EXODUS ?

Originally Posted by jonnytest
most say they are trying to escape the future economic collapse... I know of other companies in Vancouver who are experiencing the same thing.....
i'm not sure those that have sat in the queue for the past few years would agree with you........
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the reason they're giving you for leaving the UK then they must be mad (or stupid?!?). Most immigrants in Canada will admit that it's not a cheap process by the time you've paid for everything i.e. shipping, flights, potentially lost money on your UK home, taken into account the lesser salaries in Canada etc, etc - so surely they'll lose more by emigrating than they would from any potential recession?!

I can think of many reasons to emigrate to Canada but to save money ain't one of them!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:23 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If that is the reason they're giving you for leaving the UK then they must be mad (or stupid?!?). Most immigrants in Canada will admit that it's not a cheap process by the time you've paid for everything i.e. shipping, flights, potentially lost money on your UK home, taken into account the lesser salaries in Canada etc, etc - so surely they'll lose more by emigrating than they would from any potential recession?!

I can think of many reasons to emigrate to Canada but to save money ain't one of them!

I remember our Filipino head accountant at the newspaper i worked on in Vancouver always being puzzled why i moved to Vancouver from London. He always thought that money wise going to London would be far preferable.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I remember our Filipino head accountant at the newspaper i worked on in Vancouver always being puzzled why i moved to Vancouver from London. He always thought that money wise going to London would be far preferable.
Also I found a lot of Canadian's to have a very positive view of Ireland and used to ask why on earth I had moved to Toronto from such a beautiful place with a booming economy.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:52 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

There is certainly no mass exodus taking place even with the recession or should I say slow down of the ecomomy. In fact the numbers coming into the UK far outweigh those leaving, hence the government puting in new measures to stop the population topping the 70 million mark. The UK is much smaller than Canada but has a much bigger population, there must be a good reason why.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

coochicoo is a jewel in the roughcoochicoo is a jewel in the roughcoochicoo is a jewel in the roughcoochicoo is a jewel in the rough

I think the reason for my son leaving is simple, the market is still being flooded by 2 types of person. The first is those that have been laid off due to the slump in the house building market (I am allied to that so know impact it is having) and the migration of other EU citizens. I would hate Canada to be affected by what's going on over here as I want my son to succeed over there and make a new life for him and his family.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

tom1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

I left Scotland in 2000 to go to Ireland and left in August past. The downturn in construction is frightening and the cost of living outrageous. I would guess that most looking to move on are involved in that industry somehow. I am following at least 12 other people I know from Ireland and Scotland to Canada in the last 4 months - I'm awaiting LMO for move to Calgary but it is more difficult to obtain a positive for a professional/management position than if you are a tradesman
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Construction workers moving to Canada now? Talk about jumping out of the frying pan.

1. It's the start of winter. Winter in Canada is crap for construction.

2. Economically Canada lags the rest of the western world, fleeing now should just about allow the sale of a house in the UK at a recession price and the purchase of one in Canada just in time to have that fall in value.

If, as an individual, you can get a better job in Canada it might make sense to move. If you like something about Canada for the long term (eg annual frostbite, maple syrup, erratic driving) then it might make sense to move. Moving so as to enjoy a recession in two countries and so to have a longer exposure to recession makes no sense to me.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

coochicoo is a jewel in the roughcoochicoo is a jewel in the roughcoochicoo is a jewel in the roughcoochicoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
Construction workers moving to Canada now? Talk about jumping out of the frying pan.

2. Economically Canada lags the rest of the western world, fleeing now should just about allow the sale of a house in the UK at a recession price and the purchase of one in Canada just in time to have that fall in value.

If, as an individual, you can get a better job in Canada it might make sense to move. If you like something about Canada for the long term (eg annual frostbite, maple syrup, erratic driving) then it might make sense to move. Moving so as to enjoy a recession in two countries and so to have a longer exposure to recession makes no sense to me.
Classic, reminds me of the doom and gloom of a footy forum when a team is going to be relegated.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coochicoo
Classic, reminds me of the doom and gloom of a footy forum when a team is going to be relegated.
I've been speechwriting for Dion (Stephan, not Belmonts).
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

I've been speechwriting for Dion (Stephan, not Belmonts).
Or Celine

My lad is moving to get a better job, no house to sell and the frostbite he has used to when he used to sleep on his tank at Suffield and forget that temperature drops thru' the night.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:23 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

ditto ditto ditto......it's costing a fortune already and all we've done is stand still so far.....money on twp/pnp.....oh! and a few thousand on ebay/paypal charges, flights to and thro to finalise contracts, finishing the house for sale, losing money on the car's for quick sale, motorbikes ditto......etc etc

do we still want to go? yes sir'ee.....the 'r' word or not! yes sir'ee.....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
motorbikes ditto......etc etc

do we still want to go? yes sir'ee.....the 'r' word or not! yes sir'ee.....
You mean your not taking the bikes! That would be the first thing in the packing case
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:54 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you, this might not be the best time to move, especially if you do not have some hard cash behind you. The UK has gone through many bust and boom periods, and guess what.... the UK is still here and no doubt will go through many booms and bust in the future.

At least there is a proper UK welfare state so most people will survive this recession.

What if those new to Canada cannot find jobs, are they entightled to claim benefits to pay their housing and living cost through difficult times ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.