Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Markham/ Brampton?

Markham/ Brampton?

Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Markham/ Brampton?

Originally Posted by clynnog
OK...I thought you were slipping there into metric acceptance.
Good lord, no. Did you see my edit above? I'm coming to love Guelph.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume this is in hideous disrepair but, my, it's well located:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7380566
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lol! I only looked at the pictures, I was just trying to convey the idea that $400,000 is enough to get in the game without moving to the far 'burbs.

I had lunch in the Woolwich today, btw, I drank and enjoyed Arkell but couldn't get any of the Canadians I was with to give up their cranberry sodas for a pint.

You must need medication....or you are mellowing.....enjoying a Canadian based beer. Of all the times I've been in the Woolie, (my FIL lives in Guelph) I've never seen people drink cranberry sodas...its 99% a draught beer sort of place...great selection of beer there and they keep their beer well.

I'm not sure if they even have Fullers London Pride there...or even Guinness....
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I assume this is in hideous disrepair but, my, it's well located:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7380566
I lived for about a year and a half near Lake Promenade Park on the Etobicoke side and the smell from the coal fired generating plant to the west (I think it is gone now) was hideous......

The place only has one bathroom...that could be its downfall.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

You must need medication....or you are mellowing.....enjoying a Canadian based beer. Of all the times I've been in the Woolie, (my FIL lives in Guelph) I've never seen people drink cranberry sodas...its 99% a draught beer sort of place...great selection of beer there and they keep their beer well.

I'm not sure if they even have Fullers London Pride there...or even Guinness....

Their shirts say "Think Global, Drink Local". I can do that. I'd drink Young's Ordinary if they had it but they don't.

I've never seen an unhyphenated Canadian (except Sandra) drink alcohol at lunchtime, it's just never been culturally acceptable anywhere I've worked. My reputation as a crazed bohemian rests largely on my willingness to have one pint and then try to work.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

The place only has one bathroom...that could be its downfall.
Probably have to sell it to immigrants from some place where families have to share a bathroom.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I suggest that for <$400,000 you can find a perfectly livable property for four people without going as far out as Brampton or Markham. I don't know the east end, outside the beach, well but houses tend to be cheaper there.
$400K ought to be enough for a modest house in Don Mills or western Scarborough. As the realtors say, could be "steps from the TTC". Probably a bungalow with finished basement at that price, but he could do worse.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Bill_S
$400K ought to be enough for a modest house in Don Mills or western Scarborough. As the realtors say, could be "steps from the TTC". Probably a bungalow with finished basement at that price, but he could do worse.
Maybe Cliffside Village as well. A bit edgy but not frightening.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:55 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Nice to see you back.
Thank you kind sir! Been busy dealing with sh*t

Its good to be back amongst it!

Last edited by Mikey B; Aug 30th 2008 at 2:13 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

On reflection we are now leaning more towards Ottawa, it was laid back, scenic and very affordable. Appreciate will have to go where the work is though. Cheers.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Milton too
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Will do, have a freebie paper on new homes,Milton crops up a lot in there. Thanks.