Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Markham/ Brampton?

Markham/ Brampton?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all
Default Markham/ Brampton?

Hello there

I have searched the threads but haven't seen anything very recent on these areas.

Have just returned from Toronto and we really liked what we saw, sadly our budget won't allow us to live Downtown, or anywhere near town really!

We saw lots of adverts for new housing in Markham,Bronte and Brampton at prices we can afford.

We are happy to live out of the city as long as we don't have to go too far for shops,parks,schools a cinema etc.

We have looked at Town web sites but would really like an unbiased opinion on these areas, especially for facilities for kids (11 & 16 when we plan to move )

Any advice appreciated.

Deeny
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Markham/ Brampton?

Markham and Brampton are physically similar. The choice depends on whether you prefer dim sum or curry.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

i was going to reply but was unsure on how to be diplomatic !!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dentaltech
i was going to reply but was unsure on how to be diplomatic !!!!!
I don't trouble with it! The population of Markham is largely ethnic Chinese, that of Brampton largely Indian. I rather like Brampton and don't like Markham but that's because I enjoy things Indian and don't much care for things Chinese. Bronte I don't visit very much, I suspect it might be white to the point of dullness.

All of these are suburbs, a bit soul less and devoid of trees, but with lots of facilities, especially for children.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Ok-thanks for the insights.
Not so troubled by the ethnicity, more by the lack of trees and soul.
We live in a soulless new development here,don't want to repeat that mistake thousands of miles away!
Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Deeny
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Deeny
Ok-thanks for the insights.
Not so troubled by the ethnicity, more by the lack of trees and soul.
We live in a soulless new development here,don't want to repeat that mistake thousands of miles away!
Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Deeny
Assuming you want to buy a house, how much can you spend? And do you have to commute downtown?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

We would like to be mortgage free so ideally no more than $400,000.
It would be good if OH didn't have to commute but realistically to stand a better chance of getting a job he will have to.He does a 3hr round trip commute now and would like to reduce that.Somewhere on the TTC if prices allow.
Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:53 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't trouble with it! The population of Markham is largely ethnic Chinese, that of Brampton largely Indian. I rather like Brampton and don't like Markham but that's because I enjoy things Indian and don't much care for things Chinese. Bronte I don't visit very much, I suspect it might be white to the point of dullness.

All of these are suburbs, a bit soul less and devoid of trees, but with lots of facilities, especially for children.
I lived in Bronte for 2 years and it to me was multicultural to a good point, i.e you werent the only caucasion there! Plenty of ethnic food on offer localy and not as white as peeple might think.

To me having visitied Brampton and Markham a lot they are way to non caucasion mono cultural to me! Im not indian or chinese and hence dont fit in there! Great to visit and enjoy the food but neither of these areas are truly multicultural like downtown TO where anyone of any race fits!

Plus communting from Oakville on the lakeshore west GO is pretty easy I found
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, will do some more research on Oakville and Bronte.Thanks.
Oakville is mentioned regularly on here,seems lots of folks are happy there.
Have just found out that Toronto not so expensive as I first thought so will look into that again too.
Mind's buzzing now,will sleep on it.
Deeny
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Deeny
We would like to be mortgage free so ideally no more than $400,000.
It would be good if OH didn't have to commute but realistically to stand a better chance of getting a job he will have to.He does a 3hr round trip commute now and would like to reduce that.Somewhere on the TTC if prices allow.
Thanks
I think it would be a huge advantage to your children to be on the TTC or the Lakeshore GO train. Given that, they would be free to pursue much more stuff on their own (off topic this changed one of my children's life at minimal cost: http://www.tallshipadventures.on.ca/ she got to it by ttc).

Searching W12 and W13 on www.mls.ca for properties costing between $300,000 and $400,000 gives 80 matches. I don't know what works for you but I know this street. Not rough, walk to transit, walk to shops and pubs and all :

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7442075

I expect it's in disrepair.

I rented in this development years ago. It's nice, the houses share a clubhouse with a pool table and a swimming pool and that stuff. Easy commute on an express train, 20 minutes to Union. No private backyard though:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7085379

I don't immediately see the catch with this one. I'm sure there's a snag:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=7405490

Anyway, I suggest that for <$400,000 you can find a perfectly livable property for four people without going as far out as Brampton or Markham. I don't know the east end, outside the beach, well but houses tend to be cheaper there.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I lived in Bronte for 2 years and it to me was multicultural to a good point, i.e you werent the only caucasion there! Plenty of ethnic food on offer localy and not as white as peeple might think.

To me having visitied Brampton and Markham a lot they are way to non caucasion mono cultural to me! Im not indian or chinese and hence dont fit in there! Great to visit and enjoy the food but neither of these areas are truly multicultural like downtown TO where anyone of any race fits!

Plus communting from Oakville on the lakeshore west GO is pretty easy I found

Nice to see you back.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:12 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know the east end, outside the beach, well but houses tend to be cheaper there.
Its nicknamed 'Whiteby' for a reason! east end not my cup of tea but each to their own.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

dbd..are you feeling OK...those listings have metric dimensions.....
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by clynnog
dbd..are you feeling OK...those listings have metric dimensions.....
Lol! I only looked at the pictures, I was just trying to convey the idea that $400,000 is enough to get in the game without moving to the far 'burbs.

I had lunch in the Woolwich today, btw, I drank and enjoyed Arkell but couldn't get any of the Canadians I was with to give up their cranberry sodas for a pint.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 30th 2008 at 1:24 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Lol! I only looked at the pictures, I was just trying to convey the idea that $400,000 is enough to get in the game without moving to the far 'burbs.

OK...I thought you were slipping there into metric acceptance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.