Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows??

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows??

Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows??

sorry startwin,
i didn't mean to offend. i only saw your post after i posted.
i landscaped out around there and i guess we just worked in the areas where the scenery wasn't that nice.
a few of the guys i played rugby with were also from those area and they didn't speak highly of the schools or the activities in the area.
they played rugby in burnaby.
reading my post back just after yours i can see why you're not happy.
sorry about that!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Catsteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for everyone's input. I welcome all opinions whether or not you live there. The bottom line is we will be able to take all into consideration and make our minds up when we visit in the summer.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:33 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catsteve
Many thanks for everyone's input. I welcome all opinions whether or not you live there. The bottom line is we will be able to take all into consideration and make our minds up when we visit in the summer.
When are you going out in the Summer?

One tip is if you're driving between Maple Ridge and Downtown Vancouver try and take Dewdeny instead of Lougheed as it's more picturesque

Saves driving by the many car lots, strip malls, and the hideous new bridge over the Fraser.

A must though is to definitely take the Albion Ferry across the river to Fort Langley.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Catsteve is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going to land in July/August for 3 weeks. Have been to Canada 3 times previously and Vancouver once. This time will be to decide where in Vancouver we will live, suss out areas, housing prices, schools (though I know they will be closed!) etc and generally get a feel for the place. Last time there was more a touristy time, but we realised we wanted to live there. We are fairly open to look around most districts (except West Van and other more expensive parts). So suggestions are welcome!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:59 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catsteve

We're going to land in July/August for 3 weeks. Have been to Canada 3 times previously and Vancouver once. This time will be to decide where in Vancouver we will live, suss out areas, housing prices, schools (though I know they will be closed!) etc and generally get a feel for the place. Last time there was more a touristy time, but we realised we wanted to live there. We are fairly open to look around most districts (except West Van and other more expensive parts). So suggestions are welcome!
Port Moody is nice, price wise somewhere in the upper middle of the road. About 45 mins or quicker to downtown.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I read and article last week and maple ridge is really going to benifit when the golden ears bridge open. Realters are expecting a 10% increase in house prices within the first year. Might be worth buying a house sooner rather than later when you get there!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
A must though is to definitely take the Albion Ferry across the river to Fort Langley.
So long as you don't mind an hour+ wait!

Need to be quick though, when the Golden Ears bridge opens its gone.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:34 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
So long as you don't mind an hour+ wait!

Need to be quick though, when the Golden Ears bridge opens its gone.
Yeah that's a shame really. I always enjoy the short ferry ride, even with a wait. Will the Albion staff be made redundant or re-aligned somewhere else i wonder?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

crime is an issue? try living in Burnaby!!! or take an evening stroll around Gastown

the real issue here is affordability

Maple Ridge versus Coquitlam, or versus North Vancouver

everything nice comes at a price