British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/maple-ridge-pitt-meadows-595165/)

Catsteve Mar 3rd 2009 10:42 am

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows??

Does anyone our there have any info or opinions on housing/ schools/ way of life in Maple Ridge/ Pitt meadows? We are in final stages of application (waiting for passports to be returned) and will 'land' for a few weeks in the summer. Considering places to live and it seemed quite nice if websites are to be believed. Will investigate further in summer of course, but need a few pointers as Vancouver and surrounding districts is a big area to cover!:confused: Thanks

el_richo Mar 3rd 2009 11:58 am

Re: Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows??

Originally Posted by Catsteve (Post 7340541)
Does anyone our there have any info or opinions on housing/ schools/ way of life in Maple Ridge/ Pitt meadows? We are in final stages of application (waiting for passports to be returned) and will 'land' for a few weeks in the summer. Considering places to live and it seemed quite nice if websites are to be believed. Will investigate further in summer of course, but need a few pointers as Vancouver and surrounding districts is a big area to cover!:confused: Thanks

My in-laws live in and around Maple Ridge (Whonnock) and we have friends in Pitt Meadows. My own opinion of them both is that they're what i'd consider general small town environments. I personally wouldn't choose to live in either but that's purely my own opinion. They both have some nice areas and i believe the schools are pretty good there too (father in law a retired teacher at Maple Ridge Elementary and have friends who teach at the same school and others).

Like much of that area, my biggest issue with it is the "sprawl" of it all and it's actually not that pretty (apart from the golden ears). It's also about 45 mins to an hour out of downtown vancouver.

All of that said, it really does have some good points to it. Close to come great hikes, Manning Park is within reach, Whonnock Lake for the kids, Fort Langley etc etc. Also in Pitt Meadows there are some very good family friendly areas. Plus you get a lot of house for your money http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=7593114

Any reason why you choose the Ridge or Pitt Meadows?

Rich

singingringingtree Mar 3rd 2009 12:50 pm

We visited Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows in August as both were options from internet research. They were not for us. If you do a search on here you will find loads of info and views on Maple Ridge, positive and negative. We preferred nearby Port Moody.

startwin Mar 3rd 2009 2:43 pm

I live in Maple Ridge, raised my kids here and now my grandchildren are in the school system here. Great family area, everything you need really. PM me if you need more info, otherwise do a search, there have been other threads on this topic.

goodpikey Mar 3rd 2009 4:00 pm

burnaby or coquitlam would probably be nicer and have better schools and activities.
the land is fairly depressed at maple ridge and pitt meadows and the types of industry there tend to make it look less attractive than it is!

startwin Mar 3rd 2009 8:22 pm

It is always interesting to see the information posted by people who don't live here.

christmasoompa Mar 3rd 2009 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by startwin (Post 7342214)
It is always interesting to see the information posted by people who don't live here.

I would imagine that the OP would be grateful to receive info and opinions from anybody, even if they don't live there.

After all, there may be very valid reasons as to why they didn't choose that area as a place to live, and sharing it may be useful to others. :)

startwin Mar 3rd 2009 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7342225)
I would imagine that the OP would be grateful to receive info and opinions from anybody, even if they don't live there.

After all, there may be very valid reasons as to why they didn't choose that area as a place to live, and sharing it may be useful to others. :)

Oops my bad. I'll bow out.

dboy Mar 4th 2009 2:49 am

Downtown, if you can call it that, is an absolute dump. Crime is terrible - there is a very grungy street level cultrue that you can't miss. There are, however, some very nice developments up the mountain and prices are a lot cheaper than closer to Vancouver.

Aviator Mar 4th 2009 3:15 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7342225)
:)

So long as it is accurate. Someone living in an area is far better placed the offer suggestions from experience than a visitor. Perhaps if opinions are justified and valid rather than broad statements, sharing the rationale would make them more constructive and credible.

Refugee from Happyland Mar 4th 2009 5:22 am

There has been a lot of local discontent with crime in the "downtown" core, (Maple Ridge) if you can call it that. There is a small Strata /Ghetto that appears to be a bit out of control and is a haven for ne'er do wells.
The great pity of the place is the lack of any civic planning or forsight by the City, but nontheless it is a nice place to live and has a good community, and quick access to great countryside.
The place was due an economic boom due to new bridges, but that may kick in next year.

startwin Mar 4th 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7343452)
So long as it is accurate. Someone living in an area is far better placed the offer suggestions from experience than a visitor. Perhaps if opinions are justified and valid rather than broad statements, sharing the rationale would make them more constructive and credible.

Exactly. And which is why I suggested the OP send me a private message if more info is required. It seems quite a few really helpful regulars have disappeared lately whereas much information and "advice" has been forthcoming from people who don't even live in the country, let alone in a given area.

christmasoompa Mar 4th 2009 6:57 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7343452)
So long as it is accurate. Someone living in an area is far better placed the offer suggestions from experience than a visitor.

Of course they are, and Startwin (and any others who live in the area) are definitely going to provide the most useful info and the best answers to the thread.

But all other info and opinions are also welcomed. :)

christmasoompa Mar 4th 2009 7:12 am

Originally Posted by startwin (Post 7343713)
It seems quite a few really helpful regulars have disappeared lately whereas much information and "advice" has been forthcoming from people who don't even live in the country, let alone in a given area.

I really don't see how that's relevant.

This is a open forum for people moving to Canada and British expats already in Canada, and therefore it's reasonable to assume that there will be people on here who are at various stages of the process. But I hope everybody feels their opinion and advice is welcome, no matter what experience it's based on or what their location is.

:)

el_richo Mar 4th 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7343852)
Of course they are, and Startwin (and any others who live in the area) are definitely going to provide the most useful info and the best answers to the thread.

But all other info and opinions are also welcomed. :)

Totally agree with all of the above. From my side, my opinion is only that and is limited to 3 months living there (Whonnock) and many visits over the years.

As i said in my original reply, i wouldn't personally choose to live there however i do believe it has a lot to offer if you live in the right area and the schools are pretty good (view based upon speaking with teachers & Principal in family and friends as well as friends who attended the education system there).

As always though, due diligence is the best way forward and all constructive view points are valid. It's always better to see for yourself though.

We'll be out in Whonnock for a month in June/July so if you need any more specific info let me know and i can go have a look or find out for you if possible

Good luck with it all.

Rich